BC Boards

Newbie saying hello

Hi, I am new to this sight but I enjoy all the posts I have read tonight. I am the owner of a 1 year old BC that I rescued 5 weeks ago and a BC that went missing New Years Day :-(

Just wanted to say hi to everyone. I will get pictures up as soon as I figure out how to do it :rolleyes:

Hi and welcome, Catriona. I'm sorry to hear about your dog that went missing. That must be a horrible thing to have happen. But well done on your new pupster. So, tell us more about the rescue dog - male/female, name, etc. What is in the dog's future - companion, stock work, obedience, agility ... or all of the above?

Max is the dog my husband and I rescued. A family had kept him locked up in a tiny back yard his whole life. Their neighbor called us when the previous owners had had enough of him and were sending him to Animal Control.

Max had never been out of the yard, not even to go to the vet. When we got him he had never seen another dog, much less a toy, and did not think he was allowed to eat anything unless it was lying on the ground. But it only took Max a few days to feel completely at home in our house. In a matter of days he was house trained and knew all the basic commands. Only this week has he begun playing with other dogs rather than herding them (which was getting him in trouble with other dogs since he kept nipping at their feet when they were not running enough in his mind). He has still not figured out what toys are for.

My husband and I have not quite decided what lies in store for Max in the future as far as herding, agility, etc. concerns. But we are certain that we want him to do something as I know how important mental exercise is for BCs. We will just have to wait and see. I have attached some pictures of Max, as well as Cassie (our missing BC) and Skye, my parents BC.

http://photobucket.com/albums/j233/catbh/

Wow - lucky Max. Sounds like he is a quick learner. And isn't he a looker. I love the 'freckles' - partly because my Fergus has freckles.

Your Cassie was/is a striking looking dog. And Skye looks a great dog too.

It's a nice thing about these dogs that there's such a choice of things to do with them. My two (between them) do obedience, tracking (Fergus), agility and some very novice sheep work (Kirra), and they both play at flyball. And of course they're wonderful companions.

First, welcome to the board!

So sorry to hear about Cassie. Hopefully you will be reunited with her soon! Never give up hope!

Glad you were able to rescue Max. He is a very handsome boy! And it seems like he is very smart too. You have accomplished a lot with him already. The pics were great! I really liked that patch Cassie has!

Again, welcome!

Guest JoeysMom

Welcome! I'm so sorry to hear about Cassie, that must have been heartbreaking. She is beautiful. My Joey has pricked ears like that--I love them! I hope with all my heart that you find her. And congratulations on rescuing Max, he certainly is lucky to finally find his forever home. He must be in seventh heaven--he can finally be with his people and be given the life he deserves. Welcome to the boards!