BC Boards

Are Border Collies generally yappy?

River is definitely the most vocal/talkative breed I've had. She, however, is never what I would classify as "yappy." She howls a lot, and occasionally barks. Most of the noises she makes are pretty unique sounding to me, at least.

Foxy makes more noises than barking. She makes weird noises when she yawns. lol. She only barks if my nutjob Sheltie wont shut up when people ring the doorbell or people take her by complete suprise around a corner and its dark out or something similar. I have heard her bark a lot only a few times in the half year I have had her. My Sheltie definitely is a lot more "barky" than the Border Collie.. A barking dog drives me up the wall. I had to resort to a spray bottle with the Sheltie.

My shelter BC Zak was EXTREMELY vocal. Im not sure if this was because of his previous living situation or if its just Zak - I tend to think both. He is still quite a barker but doesnt carry on and on anymore. He has also understood the word "enough" meaning to stop. As with Koda also, I am teaching him to bark on command and therefor able to communicate what "enough = no bark" means.

I dont think BCs are inherently yappy like a sheltie but they arent afraid to use their bark either. This is one reason they make excellent watch dogs. So long as its appropriate and they stop when asked, I dont mind. My chihuahuas yap their brains out (what little ones they have!) at the door. My BCs never utter a peep now.

Ryan