BC Boards

Hey - River does this new thing now: Whenever she plays with the tennis ball indoors what she does is she grabs another toy (usually a small stuff animal type toy) in her mouth and then she kicks the tennis ball around the house (or apartment or wherever we happen to be at the time). At first it was sort of like she wanted to hold both toys in her mouth at once but 'accidentally' kicked the tennis away when trying to do this. Now it looks like she's purposely and literally kicking the ball around. It's funny to watch and it keeps her entertained for a while (until something more interesting comes along).

I'm wondering, has anyone ever seen anything like this before? My old golden retriever always tried to hold as many toys as possible in her mouth but was never entertained when she accidentally 'kicked' them or anything.

My dog does this all the time. We also play "bathroom soccer", where he pushes the ball with his paws so I can kick it, then he pushes it back. He seems very well aware of angles and would make a great pool player, damn lack of opposable thumbs.

I think I had an old video of him playing like this. I will try to locate it.

ETA: Here it is: Bathroom Soccer Match The video doesn't do him justice, maybe it's something he's perfected since last year, but now he pushes the ball more often than shown in the video.

Hey - River does this new thing now: Whenever she plays with the tennis ball indoors what she does is she grabs another toy (usually a small stuff animal type toy) in her mouth and then she kicks the tennis ball around the house (or apartment or wherever we happen to be at the time).

I'm wondering, has anyone ever seen anything like this before?

Scooter does something like that. He must have a half dozen dog size soccer balls around here. He takes one in his mouth and pushes the other one at us. We kick or throw it back at him and he will do this till we've had enough. He's pretty good too. Also has all the angles figured. Like watching a hockey player bring the puck down the ice. Amazing! It's a great rainy day game! :rolleyes:

I have seen my wifes JRT scoot the ball around with her nose which is really quite funny because its a regulation soccerball and she is itty bitty. However I have never seen a dog kick a ball, that would be cool to see. I have seen a horse kick a football, actually think that was commercial:)

We kick or throw it back at him and he will do this till we've had enough.

:D One thing I love about BCs - it's never "until he's had enough." Always "we", meaning the dutiful owner of said Border collie, who repeatedly throws or kicks the ball until the limb used is ready to fall off. The smart ones force themselves to ignore the hot, slimey ball dropped into their lap in order to "teach" their dog that only mom or dad initiates the game.

Quynn loves to play soccer. If sheep didn't exist, balls would be his life, if I allowed it. I try to be consistent and only take out the balls when I'm going to interact with him, but no matter where I hide them(drawers, closets, shelves, backpacks), he finds them. :rolleyes:

Pepper likes to multi-task too! She does the ball in mouth while batting things about too. That or she bites at things while batting the ball around.

:rolleyes:

I have a couple of soccer balls for my guys. I will often throw out a ball and they all chase it and bash it around. I would love to train them to actually put the ball in a goal. They can do this until they drop, they have so much fun. Sometimes my wife and I will get in on the game but the dogs have learned that they can get the ball from us by tripping with a BC foot hook, they cheat.

Does anyone have any ideas for teaching a dog to roll the ball instead of picking it up and carrying it around? I bought a soccer ball for Jade last night but she just picks it up and carries it everywhere, I'd rather she scooted it around with her nose other than tear it up with her teeth. Any ideas?

Does anyone have any ideas for teaching a dog to roll the ball instead of picking it up and carrying it around?

Iam not sure if this is will be of any help but with my wifes JRT any ball she could not fit in her mouth she would scoot with her nose. She has actually become very skilled, moving the ball from one side of her snout to the other while running full bore. Now I know its much easier finding a ball that doesnt fit in a JRTs mouth vs. a BC but I'm sure there is something out there.

As a USSF-certified soccer referee, I would have to advise you that if she uses her front paws, I would have to penalize her for a handball. (Or would that be "paw-ball"?)

Actually, Annie plays soccer with the neighborhood kids, and also gets involved at our state Special Olympics Summer Games (which I referee). She uses her nose and mouth to bounce the ball back to whoever passes it to her; she has not yet, however, mastered the Pele-style bicycle kick.

Hey Boon, Are you in NC? Im having dejavu, like Ive talked to you before.

Yes I'am, and yes we have!! I have met Chris, Rose, and Lexy on seperate occasions and I hope you remember Blue! I will say you were absolutely right, this can be addictive;) When we were talking I remember you "likening" Blue to your Roy and with out meeting Roy they sure look alike!

I thought that was Blue! Of course I remember him, what a sweetie. :rolleyes:

Welcome, glad ya signed up. Told ya you'd enjoy this place, stick around, it gets better!

You got a good memory for names, most folks just ask me which dogs I have with me today, you remembered who they were! But thats only half of pack, you'll have to stop by periodically and meet the rest. Next week, Andy and Cain are in need of the spa treatment. ( if I get a break, Ive been swamped lately!) Glad to see ya here, have fun!

Outside, Clyde will work a basketball all over the backyard, pushing with his paws ans nose. Really fun to watch. He will get it hung up in a corner or stuck at the edge of the deck and start to cry until I get loose for him. Then he's back at it. Inside, he has a soft fuzzy ball that he will knock with his paws and nose until he wants me to throw it for him. Of course whenever I need to go to the bathroom, he knocks the door open, then pushes the ball at me (usually just out reach) :D and waits for me to throw it. I toss it, he's right back... :rolleyes:

Does anyone have any ideas for teaching a dog to roll the ball instead of picking it up and carrying it around? I bought a soccer ball for Jade last night but she just picks it up and carries it everywhere, I'd rather she scooted it around with her nose other than tear it up with her teeth. Any ideas?

Try to find a large ball with a smooth surface, something she can't grip, she may get the hint.

Try to find a large ball with a smooth surface, something she can't grip, she may get the hint.

I may have to find a basketball... my first BC that 'played soccer' played with a basketball and I don't think he could ever grip it with his mouth, well before it deflated anyway (from getting run over by a tractor). I got a soccer ball for Jade, and she seems to have no problems sinking her teeth into it. Think a basketball would work better??

I guess I always loved the concept of a BC playing soccer... reminds me of the story of Floss I read when I was little :rolleyes:

I think a basketball would work better. It is not likely the dog could grip it and probably would be creative enough to find another way to transport it or move it around. I have also used cheap kids balls about the size of a soccer ball.