BC Boards

Rhiw didn't like dog training TV programme

Over here, there's a dog training programme called Dog Borstal. It's a terrible name, and the premise is pretty naff and designed to get round Bill's very valid point that proper dog training would make very boring TV.

Three trainers with three different approaches take three different dogs and do an intensive residential training programme with dogs and owners. To add a bit of interest, handlers are required to camp out, military style. (The more I describe this, the more embarassed I'm getting) Anyway, at the end of the doggy boot camp week, they are tested, and it's followed on by an update several months later. It sounds awful, but, it does make good viewing, and none of the methods used make my hackles rise. In fact, the series clearly shows how problem behaviours originate through poor management and mistakes made by the owners. And that's a message that needs hammering home over and over again.

Anyway, Meg, Rhiw and I were watching it last night when something really spooked Rhiw. He strated barking ( rarely does that indoors) and leapt onto the sofa by me ( not usually allowed!) to be comforted. I think it was something he'd heard, and he had a real collie wobble. Meg on the other hand, just gazed around in mild surprise. What's to get scared about young 'un? It's only the telly!

Petey to this day cannot tell the difference to our real life doorbell to a doorbell on TV so whenever someone rings a doorbell on TV, he springs off the couch, gives a bark and sits by the door with excitement (sitting is the way he's supposed to greet people).

I wonder what is was about the TV program that Rhiw didn't like. Was there a dog that was really testing the training methods, or really unhappy? 'Cause maybe one of the dogs were making noises that Rhiw felt uncomfortable hearing.

It's odd how they sometimes react to the TV. Lightning always acts weird whenever there's any kind of animal rescue show on. He gets all clingy, in my lap, all over me, pushing behind me on my chair, sometimes even shivering. One time when my mom was here babysitting she was telling me he was acting like that and wouldn't get off my daugther. I asked her what they were watching on TV. They had on Animal Planet and were watching the rescue shows.

Scooter reacts when he hears a woman screaming on t.v.! Now, we've had him since he was a puppy, and there wasn't any blood curdling screaming going on here, so I don't know what it is that upsets him. Maybe it's the pitch! LOL! :rolleyes: