BC Boards

Odin is herding our cat!

With all this talk about how the OP got attacked or blasted or whatever, I went back to look. No one personally attacked her. No one was even rude. She posted "Odin is herding our cat ... and we love it!" Person after person said, "Don't do that! You'll be sorry!" Fact of the matter is ... the OP is up in arms because we didn't all come back and say, "Oh how cute! You'll have one heck of a herding dog there! We want one just like that!"

"engaging in that behaviour is deleterious to both the dog and the cat" ...

Yes. To which the poster would have written, "Oh you are so right. Silly silly me. Thank you for your insightfulness. What ever was I thinking?"

I don't think so. The message was still the same. And that's not what the OP wanted to hear.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nowadays, about 80% of the time, I type up a reply to any given post and then close my browser window without posting it. The possible unfounded lashback just isn't worth the stress. Kudos to the 'vets' who are still brave enough to post. And yes, another English major here, BA in Technical Writing.

Whatever- I don't have a dog in this fight. No one called anyone stupid, and I didn't refer to such. I referred to someone calling what someone else did as stupid, and please read- it is there. Fwiw, I don't care if we have the pope himself here, if he/she is rude, they shouldn't be. It's not acceptable- just like because someone treats someone badly, then it is okay to return the favor. This newbie is responsible for what he/she says, just like all the veteran posters are.

This is going to continue the whole off-topic scenario we have going on right now. But I would just like to say that as a n00b and a half here, I have taken in so much information and advice from the veterans or senior posters from just lurking and browsing through threads and posts. If any of them were to change the way they posted, a lot of other n00bs would be in a lot of trouble with their dogs and the problems that arise. Or at the very least, things just wouldn't be the same.

I know that I'm going to get some great advice (maybe in a lot of words, but very descriptive, very well-written, and very clear words) from Julie and if you're in the mood to read through the length of it, you can uncover sweet advice. RDM, Anna and Kelpiegirl (maybe newer than them, but very respected on my part) there are definitely more who use less words to give you a smack in the face of advice you should NEVER forget. If you need to know it, they will say it. It's great to read a long, detailed post from one of the vets. like Rebecca or Juile and then a short post from another veteran and you've got the detail and the summary to just tie together everything you've just read. Yeah, I've seen some attitude, I've seen some snark but I try to look past it and see what advice is at the heart of all of it and take that with me.

It can be hard being new here. One of my very first posts was about finding a breeder! If I reacted like Ooky, or any other newbies that have come and gone, I could have said I was "attacked". I didn't know any better as to what I was saying, but I listened, I looked past some pretty rash comments - I mean, I was pretty taken back by how straight forward some people were, how scary RDM's sarcasm was at first (haha), and how many times I felt like "just another of these" but above all, I tried and tried and I learned. I tried to see where everyone was coming from and honestly, I'm a whole different person; a more knowledgeable person. It is hard, I thought, "Oh man, can I ever post here again?" I felt isolated, and just well, new. At first you wish that they could've been more patient, or calm. But really, in the end, I'm grateful for every word that was ever said in the way it was said. I may be a newbie still, but I see a lot of posters come on and say something where even I go " :rolleyes: are they seriously saying/asking/bragging/explaining/etc, this?" I've already seen a lot of the same stories, the same types of people, the same types of discussions, and I've only been here for a few months! It's a miracle some of you guys still have the strength to give such amazing advice and tips everyday.

I do agree in some way that we should all be a little nicer to newbies, well, because I know how it feels, but at the same time, who I am to tell someone how to talk over the internet? You know?

I don't really know where I was going with this. I just want to say thanks to the vets who put up with us (the annoying n00bs), and that your efforts aren't a loss. Uhhh, props?

I've been following this for what...going on 4-5 pages now? Quite simply, I guess I just don't get it. You have a board filled with old heads a newbies. Periodically a new person comes on the board all cheery and chippy either bragging on their new Border Collie or asking a question or as in this case, posting an OMG vice that if allowed to continue is going to end up in death and destruction! And it doesn't have to be just herding the cat, I believe we've had a 'horse herder' , problably more than one of those...and no telling what all else 'things not to do with your Border Collie'. So here is what I don't get, and this is for the old heads. Let's take the OP, they post, you answer, give your experienced 2 cents, end of story, right? Good gawd you folks have been on here long enough, chances are you know the exact response you're going to get, hell you could probably write it for them, so why I ask, do you (the old heads you) take the bait and keep it going? For page after page!! and then throw in the drama, Hand to forehead of course, "I'm leaving, you damn new people have driven me away! " I don't know about you all, but I have better things to do with my time. Give your advice and let it go ;-) Trust me, this kind of aggravation is not good for your health ;-) and its just not worth it. sometimesIletLizstalkthecat;-)

sometimesIletLizstalkthecat;-)

LOL! Well, and my dogs did have a "Get Moses!" command, and it sure wasn't for rounding him up! :rolleyes:

P.S. You're right, and I think in the future I will just say what I have to say and walk away. Way too much energy has been expended here for nothing.

just take a minute, deep breathe and be civil. Yeah, civility is lost in our lives these days, but I believe that is one of the big problems with our society

KelpieGirl,

I would venture to say that the general tone of this forum is pretty darn civil. When you consider the huge membership and the numbers of new posts and responses that appear each day on this forum, and the extremely few that deteriorate like this one did, I think that speaks well for the civility level here. And even in the threads that deteriorate, we still don't generally get into flaming and the like. In fact, I'd say overall IME this forum is way more civil than society at large....

J.

Good gawd you folks have been on here long enough, chances are you know the exact response you're going to get, hell you could probably write it for them, so why I ask, do you (the old heads you) take the bait and keep it going? For page after page!! and then throw in the drama, Hand to forehead of course, "I'm leaving, you damn new people have driven me away! " I don't know about you all, but I have better things to do with my time. Give your advice and let it go ;-) Trust me, this kind of aggravation is not good for your health ;-) and its just not worth it. sometimesIletLizstalkthecat;-)

thank you!

I think the veteran's time should be better spent helping others than coming back to this crap. Leave this alone and go help those who need it! Find a better subject to fill 5 pages with.

So here is what I don't get, and this is for the old heads. Let's take the OP, they post, you answer, give your experienced 2 cents, end of story, right? Good gawd you folks have been on here long enough, chances are you know the exact response you're going to get, hell you could probably write it for them, so why I ask, do you (the old heads you) take the bait and keep it going? For page after page!!

TeeeHeeeeee!! Been there done that with other topics on the board!!

Why Oh Why Oh Why?

I guess because whatever it is I feel compelled to jump into - even though I might know better - is something that I care very deeply about and I feel that I need to say what I have to say.

Others probably have their own reasons, but that is usually mine.

I don't know about you all, but I have better things to do with my time. Give your advice and let it go ;-) Trust me, this kind of aggravation is not good for your health ;-) and its just not worth it.

Some would say that talking to people you don't know personally online is a waste of time to begin with. I don't think so myself (obviously!), but I do know many people who feel that way.

No one called anyone stupid, and I didn't refer to such. I referred to someone calling what someone else did as stupid, and please read- it is there.

Sorry. You're right. You didn't say anyone called anyone stupid but rather it was said what they did was stupid. I didn't really pick up on that either. Maybe if I have the energy and time, I'll go back and re-read the whole thing...

Liz,

I did read the whole thread and I don't think anyone called the OP or the behaviors being described stupid. I said at one point that in Netiquette world it was considered an insult to call a person stupid but not to call an action/behavior stupid. That may be what KG was picking up on.

J.

Netiquette. Never heard that one before. I had to laugh. Wonder if Websters can / will come out with a new dictionary of all the new words that have arisen from Internet. If they do, I hope they include a section where they explain the the acronyms as well. Seems I cant get past LOL in terms of understanding what they all mean. Julie,...did you make that up? :rolleyes:

Oh, and to add, I contribute on another dog based forum, ( for grooming) and my answers tend to be to the point, and blunt. ( cowboy up cupcake!) I was told/asked, that I start to use my emotocons more, so folks wouldnt be so offended by my abruptness. (who me abrupt??) Everytime I post there, all that runs through my mind while Im writting is, ....must use smiley faces, must use smiley faces. What a drag. I dont post there much any more, and its a shame, because first, I enjoyed helping newbs, and felt I had a lot to offer in so far as experience goes and was willing to help/share. But it became to much of an effort, to try to sugar coat everything,( an always use the *#@*%* smiley faces) that I lost the desire to contribute as much so often. After 25 yrs in the biz, I feel they lost an asset more so, than an ass.

Powerfulgazelle, I count at least ten posts from you in this thread telling people that your way of saying things is better than their way of saying things. Or rather, saying, in essence, "I WONDER whether my way of saying things might be better than your way of saying things," which you apparently think makes a big difference in how your comments will be perceived.

When the people you are addressing directed advice toward the OP, they were doing so on a subject relevant to border collies. Your attempts to shape up their communication skills, OTOH, are entirely off-topic, as are your speculations ("just a curious, out-loud wondering") as to whether they posted out of a desire to show off.

Please do not tell anyone how they should express their views on this Board. Everyone has their own style of expression, and short of flaming they are free to express themselves in the style they choose rather than in a style that is uncongenial to them. If their discourse passes the bounds of civility and turns into abuse and personal insult, it is the moderator's job to deal with that. If you think that has happened, please click on the "Report" button at the lower left of the post, and draw my attention to it. I have reviewed this thread, and I find nothing whatsoever of that nature here.

Perhaps there is nothing further that can usefully be said on this thread. If anyone thinks further discussion is called for, please confine it to border collies.

9 smarties for you for use of the word "props."

Sweet.

RDM

my old eyes read this as

9 martinis for you for use of the word "props"

I was ready to jump in with more props!

Some days are good some days are bad, sometimes it seems like people post according to their moods, or is it they get tired of the same ol same ol so they get a bit short cause they just had the discussion a few weeks ago or even a few minutes ago? I try to keep that in mind when reading this board. It's so hard to really know what someone is thinking or feeling when reading their posts. I type like I think, not always the best but I do try to at least spell check.

I have jumped in to "rescue" a noob or a clueless poster when I think there's more for that person to learn and the mood of the board is shutting the door. That's just me.

I also use people like RDM as someone to learn from when I feel the need to grow some backbone. I'd love to have her attitude when I want a raise or something else that I really feel I'm owed. I'm easily pushed back by people with her kind of strength. It's something I admire in her.... usually. :rolleyes: And Julie P's posts are where I can usually get my new word for the day!

I'm not on other boards as a reg. so I don't get flavors of netiquette except here. It has way more useful stuff than bad so I'll stay and keep my mind open to personalities, moods and new learning.

I think the op got what was told, it's up to her what she does with the info. but I do relish in a bit of drama so have enjoyed reading this thread while I drink a martini.

Here's one for you Darci! :D

K~

Edited...sorry Eileen I was posting as you were, I probably wound have skipped my post!

Well... I hadn't been reading this thread because I thought it was about a dog herding cats. All this time, there's been a big fight, and I wasn't vicariously enjoying it!? :rolleyes:

Seriously, though...

I'm rather a newbie on this forum. I'm pretty sure most people can't remember my dog's name, or what I do for a living. I used to be a "high-powered veteran poster" in another online life, and it's kind of nice to be relatively anonymous in this arena.

One thing that seems to happen in all forums is that conversations get repeated many times as new people enter a community and bring with them the same questions and enthusiasms that all newbies have. Let a bit of time pass, and all newbies get to the point when they've heard the conversations before, seen all the questions answered, watched the same tired arguments get tossed around. Voila! They're not newbies anymore; they're regulars.

Eventually, if you stay in a forum long enough, you will have a solid core of friendships and relationships, and you'll enjoy talking to those "old friends" more than you enjoy debating the same old tired viewpoints with relative strangers. That's perfectly natural; I've yet to see a forum where "veteran" subgroups didn't form for the enjoyment of people who were there "back in the day." So I don't think the progression of the social network in this forum is the "fault" of newbies nor of veterans. It's a natural evolution.

I do think, though, that if we keep seeing repetitive patterns (this one seems to be "good advice interpreted as personal attacks and erupting into a flame war"), we could probably learn from the patterns, and avoid making the same mistakes over and over again. I hope it wouldn't mean not offering advice when newbies ask, for fear of starting this pattern up again. Maybe it would mean expecting the defensiveness from newbies (since it seems to happen over and over) and choosing to react to it differently? Or not to react at all?

Mary

Eileen,

Of course. I should have put off-topic discussion on a thread in "Coffee Break". I am sorry if either what I wrote or how I wrote it caused hard feelings; if it did, I missed my mark.

I do think, though, that if we keep seeing repetitive patterns (this one seems to be "good advice interpreted as personal attacks and erupting into a flame war"), we could probably learn from the patterns, and avoid making the same mistakes over and over again. I hope it wouldn't mean not offering advice when newbies ask, for fear of starting this pattern up again. Maybe it would mean expecting the defensiveness from newbies (since it seems to happen over and over) and choosing to react to it differently?

Put better by Mary than anything that came off my keyboard.

Well... I hadn't been reading this thread because I thought it was about a dog herding cats. All this time, there's been a big fight, and I wasn't vicariously enjoying it!? :D

Mary, you'll soon discover that any topic that goes beyond three pages usually means it's time to get out the popcorn :rolleyes:

I have been busy with other things, how did this thread get so out of control. Just read Eileens post number 89, good read. I am a newbee here. My first post on this thread was sarcastic, I was shall we say corrected for it, so what. I have been corrected for other posts, so what. However, I have appreciated advise I have gotten from both newbees and oldbees. So, to the newbees, don't offend and don't stop posting what you will asking for advise or otherwise. In the variety of answers you get you will find helpful participation. To the oldbees, give your best advise as you see fit and keep it coming. Sure you might have seen it all before but the newbee making the post has not. I may be a newbee here but certainly not to BC,s or my work. I plan to contribute and if from time to time I am shall we say corrected, so what. It is all advise that I consider to be valuable. I have been reading a post by a newbee to BC's. He rescued a BC. He is having trouble with his dog who freaks out seriously at times. He is asking for and needs help. His thread is not five pages but I think his topic is very important. I think perhaps he should get five pages of answers and good advise from all newbees, oldbees and pro's alike. I am dropping by there new to see how he is doing.