BC Boards

Ready to rip out my hair

Yep, you read it right. My darling little puppy has now become the worlds biggest monster. We have balloons around the house for my graduation, and I've never seen her this crazy in my life! She will bark, jump, growl, whine, and stare and the darn balloons. I have no idea why she just suddenly started doing this! As I speak, she is whining and staring at a balloon, prolly thinking or plotting the many ways she can sneak onto my friends lap to reach it.

Has anyone else had odd OCDs with your dogs? She's done shadows, licking the TV, chasing lights...etc. but that was OK since we got it under control. She's freaking insane!

I'd also remove them, and then work on desensitizing her to them one balloon at a time.

The nice thing about this is that it is something that you can control her access to - unlike shadows and light, etc.

Are you doing CU with her? If so, you could start LAT with one balloon - with the balloon far across the room if need be!

Congrats on your graduation!!

It's possible the noise is bothering her. Balloons make all sorts of noise we don't usually notice. If they are stretchy, they squeak together and crackle with static. If they are the metallic filled kind, they crinkle. Plus, they all move around teasingly depending on air conditions. They're freaky aerial rodent-sounding potential preyish things. No wonder she's worked up.

Good luck.

Thank you :rolleyes:

Heh...I guess I was pretty pre-occupied with guests, and trying to keep her under control I didn't really think of the balloons from her point of view. I would prolly do the same thing if I were her. I worked a little on LAT and I got her to the point of being functional around 4 balloons. 5 was pushing it, so I gave her a break. Joy likes to nose them through the air, so when she ignored the balloons, I would use them as a reinforcer. It's worked pretty well so far.

I'm glad you made some progress with her. You might want to think about eventually desensitizing her to the sound of popped balloons as well, with a partner who can pop them outside, then in the next room, etc etc so that if something happens nearby for any reason, she won't be freaked out quite so badly.