BC Boards

Tempe Update - Thunderphobia - Xanax

2 Devils

On the East Coast we have been having a horrible bouts of thunderstorms and Tempe was starting to get worse so I called the vets.

Thankfully, the vets know me quite well and trust me. Without seeing her, they prescribed alprazolam. I had to look it up and it is xanax. I am so happy the vets are willing to trust me.

Of course we did not have storms for 3 days after I received the meds so I am not sure what will happen - if it helps or not. Anyways, we had a storm tonight but I was late getting home from work so was not able to give the xanax. I was told to give at least 2 hours before a storm otherwise she could have a worse reaction to the thunder. Of course dinner time was during the storms and I had the TV blaring and Tempe handled everything pretty well without the meds but that won't stop me from giving her the drugs when able.

I have asked the dogwalkers to keep an eye on the weather. If when they come over and storms are expected to please give her the xanax. I don't want my baby having to suffer anymore.

Wish us luck the drugs will actually help.

Also, is it normal that the thunderphobia seems to mainly show its ugly head while indoors? Tempe has horrible anxiety during thunder while indoors but hardly notices them if we are outside which is great. Would there be more of an electrical charge indoors than outside?

Glad to hear your vet gave you the alprazolam. Please report back on Tempe's progress with it.

Sophie is worse outside—she becomes completely paralyzed with fear and curls up into a ball, unwilling to move. I've had to carry her off the trail a few times.

One thing that I've noticed about Sophie is that she seems to be the only dog whose thunderphobia seems to have abated a bit over the past couple of years, and it's been a lot better this summer so far. She still shakes, pants, and gets a little wild-eyed, but she no longer paces, whines, or tries to sit on my head. She now just goes into the bathroom and waits it out. I wonder if it has to do with the fact that she's on thyroid meds now?

It is awful when they are so scared, Zac has not heard thunder much yet so i don't know how he will react. Holly is pretty good at the moment like she is with fireworks. I don't know if that means she will be okay always though.

My Yorkie hated them so i can sympathise with poor Tempe and Sophie. I can remember her shaking and being so distressed, she just wanted to be cuddled. It is not nice to see them so scared. She would not go out for a wee whilst there was any thunder weather about either.

I don't know anything about them but i hope your meds help.

I really hope the medication helps Tempe.

Sam: If Holly is fine, Zac is likely to take his cues from her and be okay. You'd have a problem if she were upset by thunder because he would then be likely to learn it from her.

Maggie has mild thunder issues, but she too is much better outside vs indoors. Outside she'll often bark back at the thunder or just plain ignores it, indoors she paces, pants, and tries to fit behind the couch. The severity has been the same since she started showing signs at around 3-4 years of age.

Dean does better outside than he does inside.

He also does better loose in the house where he can choose his own place to hunker down than he is if I try to crate him even though he normally doesn't mind being in a crate.