BC Boards

Brushing (Help!)

Scooter will sit patiently while I brush him--no bribing with treats or anything, until I get to the tail and back legs. It's not an aversion to having those parts touched, because that never bothers him any other time. I'm using a soft bristled brush, but he still gets a little feisty when I get to the back end! Any suggestions? :rolleyes:

Daisy doesn't like it either. I think it's because her tail + butt hair is soooooo long that it gets a bit tangled. I don't blame her really! When I do this part I get my bf to sit infront of her with treats tight in his hand...she is so worried aoubt getting the food out of his hands that she doens't even care about the brushing. Could you try distracting him with treats to get him used to it?

I don't recall if Scooter is a pupy. We have the same problem with Doctor Dave. Dave does not mind being touched at all but but brushing turns him into half play half fight mode. He attacks the brush. I think many dogs are like this. Dogs are very protective of the back end. You may notice when they play fight they will go to great lengths to protect it. Being caught by the back end is bad news. I let Dave have his little fit and then my wife helps hold him. It seems if we keep the front end occupied he pays less attention to the back end. If we give him a frisbee to hold he is fine so we have turned brushing into a little game. In my experience as Dave ages he will probably grow out of it.

Umm, who's in charge here?

Try spritzing with Show Sheen, then place her between your legs, while you are standing up, and brush away.

Karen

Thanks! I wondered if there was anything I could use to make the brush go through the hair a little easier. :D And I'm just going to ignore that first comment. :rolleyes:

I didn't say he wouldn't let me brush his tail, just that he didn't like it. :D

Thanks for all the suggestions! Wearing him out first is a good idea, even it it is nearly impossible to wear him out! LOL!! He'd probably be more inclined to sit with the Frisbee in front of him rather than food. Will definitely give it a shot! He looks so pretty when he's been brushed. :D I don't want it to be painful or an unpleasant experience for him. I remember how it felt as a kid when my mom would brush my long mane! :rolleyes:

Another thing you can try is getting him up off the ground. Dont go down to his level, the ground/floor is dog territory, bring him up to your level where he is not so confident and able to squirm and wiggle away. Try placing him up on a picnic table, or work bench. If you dont have help to keep him up there, you can place your arm under his belly, and hold his back end close to you and brush with the other hand. If I had to groom dogs on the floor, Id never get anything done! Theres more than one reason groomers use tables, and that reason is one of the biggest ones. Good Luck! :rolleyes:

Hunh. A table is a good idea!! Also, I agree with putting your arm under his tummy. When I'm on my own for grooming the easiest method for me is to stradle Daisy and use my legs to keep her fairly still and crooking my arm under her so she can't sit down. It's pretty easy, but if there is a knot or a tangle, god, it's the end of the world!

Have you concerned a comb? Running a broad toothed then a fine toothed comb through might be more comfortable than the brush.

Molly hates brushes anywhere on her body but we're having great success with a flea comb. Of course it's way different with a smooth.

But from what I remember when my own hair was long, curly, and impossible, I generally preferred to comb it if I did it slowly and carefully. Otherwise a natural bristled brush and you have to put a hand behind the long fur so you brush the fur the full length and make more tangles or brush over the dog's sensitive bits. Also start at the ends and work in so you don't build up bigger tangles.

Just a few thoughts.

bex

Another thing you can try is getting him up off the ground. Dont go down to his level, the ground/floor is dog territory, bring him up to your level where he is not so confident and able to squirm and wiggle away. Try placing him up on a picnic table, or work bench. If you dont have help to keep him up there, you can place your arm under his belly, and hold his back end close to you and brush with the other hand. If I had to groom dogs on the floor, Id never get anything done! Theres more than one reason groomers use tables, and that reason is one of the biggest ones. Good Luck! :D

Good idea! I do usually sit on the floor and try to do it. I'm definitely going to try the table and I like the idea of putting my arm under his belly! Thanks!!! :rolleyes: