BC Boards

healing metacarpal fracture

shatchp

Quick question for anyone with experience:

Ollie broke the outermost metacarpal in his front paw...the "pinky". E-vet splinted and talked about surgery as an option. My vet decided no surgery, and at 2 weeks put on custom splint that started below the "wrist" to allow for more comfort and use of muscle in legs. At 4 weeks, the splint is off and Ollie is gimping around happily. My vet has a holistic bent, and tends to take an old school approach, avoiding costly or over the top treatments...which we love. However, I tend to worry, and I'm concerned that a large amount of callus has developed around the fracture site, which sits just below to the wrist on the side of his paw. There's a good little knob there, and I'm wondering if other folks have noticed this in healing fractures on their dogs.

Ollie appears to be in no pain, and everything looks good otherwise...however, my vet sort of blew my concern off. I'm considering a second opinion w/ more x-rays next week...but I don't want to if this is normal.

Thanks,

Sam

One of my dogs broke a metatarsal bone and she had a fairly significant callus there when it healed. I never worried about it. I just took a look at her, though, and both hind legs now appear to be (and feel) the same, so some time over the intervening years the apparent callus "vanished." If you're concerned, a second opinion isn't a bad idea.

J.

I had a 5 month old pup break two bones on her right front paw. She was in a spoon shaped cast structure. Since then she has run the fields, brings in the sheep from rough terrain, and never ever had a problem that we can see. She`ll be 11 years old in a few months. I think these bones heal well and quickly when they are protected to prevent damage through the healing process.