BC Boards

When to switch from puppy kibble

I'm curious about when people switch their BC's from puppy food to adult food. Quinn turns 5 months old next week. I've heard people say that they've had their puppies on adult food earlier than that. I've switched my previous puppies at different times. Some at a year. The youngest was my girl sheltie at 7 months when she developed a significant weight problem. The vet said not to. The breeder said go ahead, and it worked out fine for her.

Quinn is probably about 17 inches tall and maybe 24 lbs. He's quite lean and I've had a few people tell me he's too thin. He had coccidia when I got him at 9 weeks. He's just been treated for Giardia as well and I think he may need another treatment, so that may be some of why he is very slim. So it's not like puppy kibble is giving him too many calories. I don't think he's painfully thin and I've read that keeping puppies light can be helpful preventing HP. He's been gaining over a lb a week, has lots of energy and his coat is shiny. I'm not in any rush to change his diet. Just wondering what others do with their pups.

What is with my vet!!!!

The breeder said at around 4 months to switch. So, we did. Then, for her spay surgery (5 1/2 months) the vet told us off for putting her on adult food so young. She seemed pretty mad about that. She even "forced" us onto buying puppy food at the vet's office.

The vet said at LEAST 1 year, no sooner!

Also, my trainer said 4-6 months.

Now I don't know what to do!!! :confused:

As Rachel said, this topic has been discussed many times before here. Most working dog folks I know wean their pups straight onto adult food. Most puppy foods just encourage rapid growth, which can result in physical problems and an overweight dog. It does not hurt a pup to stay slightly underweight either.

Kat, if I were you, I'd stick with the adult food and ignore the vet. Any vet who tried to force me to do anything wouldn't be my vet. Remember that most vets get very limited training in nutrition while in vet school, so while your vet may be an expert at many things, nutrition isn't likely one of them.

J.

• 6 months later...

Ace's Dad,

It's difficult to recommend a brand for your dog because all dogs are different.** If you buy a premium adult dog food (you can't find these in the grocery store--you will need to go to a specialty/pet store) and your pup does well on it (no diarrhea, normal weight gain, nice coat) then that brand is fine for your dog. If you use the search function on this board and search in the general and health and genetics sections, you will find all sorts of brands that people use, for a variety of reasons. There is no one best food. Also, many of the foods, even the premium foods are a bit lower in fat than I'd like, so in addition to feeding my dogs (including the pup) a premium kibble, I also add fat to their diets.

**For example, I have a geriatric dog with skin issues. I have him on a single-protein/single carbohydrate holistic food. To save effort for myself, I put all my dogs on the same diet. But it seems that they are not maintaining their weight (with the same volume of food) on this kibble, even with added fat. So I have gone back and added in a different premium kibble that they have done well on in the past, keeping just the dog who needs the "extra special" diet on strictly the single-protein kibble. Obviously this kibble is not the optimum kibble for the majority of my dogs, but it is a *very good* kibble, and I would recommend it to others. That's why I say that while people can tell you what they feed their dogs (and a search will find you the names of all sorts of brands), that doesn't mean any or all of those foods will be the *best* food for your dog.

Here is one link to a previous discussion (it contains links to other discussions as well):

http://www.bordercollie.org/cgi-bin/ultima...t=001125#000007

The above discussion eventually changes to a discussion about raw feeding, but some of the other links in there might give you more brand names in addition to what's listed in this link.

I hope that helps.

J.

Thank you very much "J" for the info. and link. I've always, since a child fed our dogs Purina. But after reading all the posts, I will go to one of the pet stores in a box and check out the not so commercial foods for my pup Acer.

Thanks again.....

Many Vets ( not saying all by any means) recieve incentives from pet food manufacters and of course they are going to promote whatever brand they are stocking.

I've encountered a couple of Vets in my lifetime who have told me to stop feeding my dogs the way I do and put them on kibble.

I stopped useing those Vets and my current Vet buys his Elk meat from the same source as I do.

Our vet sells Science Diet.... needless to say, I won't be taking any advice from them about nutrition. :rolleyes:

If I were to do it again I'd put my dogs straight on adult food. No reason not to, really. Zoe was on puppy food for a few months because that's what hubby bought at the feed store... oh well. The dangers of feeding puppy food are more severe for large breeds, from what I've heard... because of the rapid growth and the strain the bones are under once they get large.