BC Boards

Any ideas?

I'm on the committee to help the local rescue I volunteer for with a big fund-raising/ rescue awareness event. We've booked a beautiful city park by the lake with a huge grassy area, and plan on having several presenters: local trainers, stock dog demo, sar, agility, vet talk, nutrition, pet message therapist as well as some of our foster dogs. I'd also like to see a presence of people who have obtained dogs through rescue and are now successfully competing those dogs in events like agility, obedience, stock etc. , as well as people who are successfully working dogs in SAR, therapy, assistance dogs etc.

We're trying to promote activities people can do with their dogs. There will be a nominal entry fee to the event, but we're trying to brainstorm on activities that will increase our treasury as well. People will be encouraged to bring their dogs and participate, and we plan on awarding modest prizes. So far we're planning on the following games/contests: silly pet tricks, costume contest, singing contest (for dogs)--all to be judged by the crowd.

So I thought I'd tap the collective wisdom here to see what other contests you all think would be fun and profitable. Bearing in mind that all dogs must remain on their leashes.

If you find a flyball team to partake, you can also do human flyball. You make up the rules: can be over jumps, without jumps, they have to hit the box and catch the ball, have boxloader hand them the ball, etc... you can set up teams or singles. The winners can be fastest overall, closest to overall seed time, etc...

Something that is not quite dog related: my club hosted a flyball tourney recently and since I had so many used books I decided to do a fundraiser. I brought a bunch of books and set them on the table. I had a sign saying all donations going to the NoVA SPCA. A couple team members also brought some books. Anyways, I was totally amazed by how many actually took books and left a donation. We actually about ran out of books. We raised about $75 which is not bad considering no one was notified we were doing.

You can also have games of how many dog treats are in the cookie jar - winner gets the jar and treats. How about ice cream eating context for dogs? Hot dog bobbing for the dogs? I know these cost money but could bring in some decent bucks.

I always love those auction thingies where you buy tickets and then put the tickets in the jar for the item you want. Say, you really want the "One free obedience class" prize, you buy 20 tickets and put them all in that jar - then they pull a single winner out of each jar. Not sure if you can get people to donate stuff like that, but I always find those fun to join, though I've never won.

I would also love to enter some silly pet contest like "Best stay" or "Cutest tail" or something like that. I'd pay $1 each time to enter my dog in silly things like that. "Coolest trick." ":rolleyes:

Mary

How about a Weave Pole Challenge? If you have a local agility club in the area, they may be keen to support one. We held one here inconjunction with a regular AAC agility trial. Dogs raced thru 60 weave poles, and were awarded ribbons based on their speed & height. We had tons of fun, it was cool for the spectators to watch, and we raised $$ for the SPCA at the same time. :rolleyes:

What about a walk? I know the Humane Association in my hometown raised a lot just by encouraging people to compete to raise the most money. They had age categories, prizes for top fundraisers in each, and small gifts for those reaching a certain amount (i.e. $25 got a bandanna for the dog, $50 got a bandanna and tshirt, $100 got a bandanna, tshirt, and bag, etc.). They provided packets with donation sheets for posting, brochures, etc. to make things easy.

What about a microchip and/or vaccine clinic, too?