BC Boards

Biting/Chomping at air

So we've now had our 20month rescue, Kona, for about 7months now. He's always had an odd habit that I'd thought I'd toss out to see if anyone had any thoughts.

Sometimes after we "torture" him with affection/hugs, or as he's waiting while we prepare his food, he'll bounce around in a circle biting at the air. Sometimes is accompanied by a whining bark, but usually just a silent bite at thin air. He stops with a sharp verbal correction, but we'd be thrilled if it's something that we could train away.

Our thought is that it's some sort of coping/release of excitement. Curious if anyone has ever seen this behavior?

I knew of a little Sheltie that did that a whole lot. I think something was off about him, he did other strange things that were not very Sheltie-like (didnt like people even though he was socialized, glued to other dogs not people, biting the air, striking out and reacting crazily if you startled him by touching him in the least bit).

Is this the only "strange" behavior youre seeing? There are some dogs I have heard of that do this, and only this and its just them. If, however, he does more things that are a bit uncommon you might want to have him checked out if possible. Most likely nothing is wrong, I just always remember the case of the little Sheltie and heed my warning as something seemed wrong with him.

Could it be something that he was trained to do? I trained Ouzo to do a series of two silent barks - clamp-clamp - when I ask him to say "Ma-Ma" :D I know, it's silly, but he now often uses this trick when he wants to get something to eat from us - we find it very funny, but we were just discussing how startled someone else would be, not knowing this is his "Mama trick" :rolleyes:

Sophie does it, too. It has never progressed into actual biting, so we figure it's pretty harmless and actually an effective communication tool. And if we do it back to her, we can have quite a lengthy "conversation" :rolleyes:

Jak does that when riding in a vehicle. He chomps at the air with great excitement when another vehicle passes. He'll get himself really worked up and eventually the silent bark is no longer silent. IF uncrated, he'll hop from window to window snapping... so in his crate he goes. I've started a little clicker training to curb the behaviour... but its hard to drive, click & treat at the same time :rolleyes:

Alex does it when he's excited, too. I have to laugh, because he almost always does it when I put him in a stay on the start line, and give the "wait" command and signal with my hand. It looks like he's chomping at my hand, but he's not.

So we've now had our 20month rescue, Kona, for about 7months now. He's always had an odd habit that I'd thought I'd toss out to see if anyone had any thoughts.

Sometimes after we "torture" him with affection/hugs, or as he's waiting while we prepare his food, he'll bounce around in a circle biting at the air. Sometimes is accompanied by a whining bark, but usually just a silent bite at thin air. He stops with a sharp verbal correction, but we'd be thrilled if it's something that we could train away.

Our thought is that it's some sort of coping/release of excitement. Curious if anyone has ever seen this behavior?

Hi,

One of my BC's does this when he's really excited(I call it air snapping)....It's nothing I worry about...Definately not an aggressive thing with him, just excitement.....One of his nicknames is Snapper because of this=) His breeder said that his mother does it too.

Janet

Sophie does it, too. It has never progressed into actual biting, so we figure it's pretty harmless and actually an effective communication tool. And if we do it back to her, we can have quite a lengthy "conversation" :rolleyes:

LOL!!

Shelby does this also, but if we do it back to her she runs and hides. haven't figured that one out yet

Thanks to all for the feedback. It was definitely not something trained as he had zero training when we first got him.

It didn't appear to be anything serious or progressive, so I'm glad to see it's likely another eccentric BC behavior!