BC Boards

Herding 101

john landry

My two BCs are not stockdogs (yet?). We will attend (as spectators only) herding trials (in Ontario) for the very first time this summer. Aside from the sheer esthetics of herding (as seen on some DVDs), I know absolutely nothing, nothing of the strategies and tactics involved and just about nothing of the vocabulary employed. In short, any suggestions on what I should be reading in order to become a knowledgeable spectator?

John

Bruce Fogt's Lessons From a Stockdog is a good one--short and easy to understand. Derek Scrimgeour's Talking Sheepdogs is another, with a nice glossary at the end of terminology. I also like John Holmes' The Farmer's Dog. There are also some great videos out there. I'm sure others will chime in with their favorite introductory-type books. If you're going to some trials to spectate, just talk to some of the handlers--only not just prior to their runs. Most are usually more than happy to explain what's going on,

A

I really, really like Derek Scrimgeour's "Talking Sheepdogs" for an introduction to what is happening. I think that its clarity and brevity are helpful for someone with little background or understanding because it doesn't go into much detail or discussion of problems or issues.

To learn more or to see what sort of problems can arise in training/working a stockdog, I like Bruce Fogt's "Lessons from a Sheepdog" and also Vergil Holland's "Stockdogs, Progressive Training". But for me, both of these were "too much" for a first exposure, but that's just me. I can't pick up too much at once.

I also like Scrimgeour's "The Shepherd's Pup" as a terrific DVD that covers a lot of basic training. "30 Years of One Man and His Dog" (if you have a DVD player that will also play the UK/European format) is very nice. Lots of commentary and some extra material explaining commands/whistles makes it both entertaining and educational.

Enjoy!

Vergil Holland's book is my favorite. I like Fogt's book too. The Pope book is very short and to the point for training. The Holmes book is good too. Just finished Top Trainers Talk About Starting a Stockdog; lots of varied opinions on just about everything involved. Check out your local library as they might have others. Have fun. Offer to time or scribe. Or just follow the judge and ask if you can watch. They are usually very eager to offer their opinions. One judge in particular was at a ASCA event and talked a lot; even drew us some pictures on a notepad. N

Narita's suggestion to volunteer is some of the best advice you could get. Scribing for a competent judge (I've never scribed for an incompetent one at a USBCHA trial but I can't say the same for certain "judges" of some other venues) is a lesson in itself. Just remember to be quiet, only ask questions if they are welcome and at appropriate times, and prepare to soak up a lot from an experienced judge.