BC Boards

Thats not a border collie!

Here's my Aussie/German Shepherd/Border Collie... hmm do you see it? LOL because I must be blind or something :rolleyes::D

FoxyDock09.jpg

This is a really really cool picture!!

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've gotten the, "Oh, what a pretty springer spaniel!" (Because she has ticking/freckles) Let me ask you this---does this look like a springer to you?

post-7080-1213029887_thumb.jpg

but What really took the cake--When someone called her a Yorkie..........

And to think--I live in the middle of farm country--shouldn't people be able to recognize a BC when they see one?

post-7080-1213030050_thumb.jpg

Hi y'all,

This is my first time in this chat room and I'm also "not so hot" on computers, but I have a border blue merle. People are forever asking "what is he?). I'm too polite to reply "a dog", so proceed to tell them. It's quite amazing how many people try to tell you that your dog is something he/she is not, so I carry a photo copy of his pedigree in my bum bag that holds his treats whilst walking. There are some interesting facial expressions after it's read. As I'm not computer savvy, I cannot post a photo, but he is gorgeous and with one little white chip in his left eye. :D:rolleyes:

I'm too polite to reply "a dog"...

:rolleyes:

In some ways, that's too bad - I'd love to see their expression!

... I carry a photo copy of his pedigree in my bum bag that holds his treats whilst walking. There are some interesting facial expressions after it's read.

Maybe not computer-friendly, but entirely practical.

Welcome!

:D

I was waiting in front of a grocery store for my wife yesterday with three dog's BC's on a leash. These two old ladies walked up and asked if they could pet the dogs, I said certainly. One old lady said to the other, my father had springer spanials. I corrected her but she completely ignored me and continued to tell the other lady a story about her fathers dogs. Several times I tried to correct her and she would just smile and ignore me. I tried to get in on the conversation several times but I decided to just let her have her memories of her dad at the expense of my BC's, my dogs did not mind. This went on for about five minutes and the lady stopped and asked me if the dogs are for sale. I said no. She asked how much and I said they are not for sale. She pointed at my best dog and said, how much for this one. I said nine thousand dollars and that did it, they left. I think she thought I was being rude.

I would just like to remind you all that one of the local shelters called us in a panic last year because this "blue merle border collie" had a litter overnight in the shelter and the pups were freezing to death.

This "blue merle border collie" :

2048177757_168c986acf.jpg

Trust me. It's worse when they identify a non BC as a BC, than when someone doesn't believe your dog is a BC. I can stand behind this statement, because that's why ended up raising these:

2072194989_ca53692b17.jpg

It's actually mind boggling. IIRC, it was a GSD rescuer at the shelter who declared them purebred BCs. One day, I am going to drop a litter of .... I dunno, Jack Russells or something, off on her doorstep and claim they are GSD puppies!!

RDM

Ahh! The Brady Bunch! They may not have been Border Collies, but they were definitely cute. :rolleyes:

That's for sure! And I bet when they called the Australian Shepherd Rescue, Mona was an Aussie. And when they called the German Shorthaired Pointer Rescue, she was a Pointer. And the Catahoula...

But RDM won the Most Softhearted Rescue prize, so she was a border collie! And did we ever enjoy the pictures of them growing up. Proportionally to RDM's exhaustion!!

• 2 weeks later...

Dropped Jade off at the vet's office this morning to get her hips x-rayed... and there was an older lady in the waiting room:

Lady: "Wow, your dog is very beautiful... what a pretty Spaniel mix!"

Me: "Well thank you! But she's actually a purebred Border Collie..."

Lady: "Well how about that!"

This would be my first 'mistaken identity' with Jade, thank doG the lady didn't argue with me!! :rolleyes:

I have come to the conclusion that half the people on this planet have a border collie cross of some sort. People come up to me frequently when I am out with the dogs and generally do one of three things. 1 - They ask if my dogs are border collies. 2 - They ask what kind of dogs they are. 3 - They tell me what my dogs are and what they are crossed with. This is usually followed by a story about somebody they know has a border collie cross. These crosses can range from shepherds to poodles and everything in between. It is always the case however that this cross has been a big improvement. These dogs are always smarter and tougher and everything else better than an average every day border collie. A good bunch of these people would never own a pure-bred border collie. They almost always seem to know somebody with a horror story about their BC. Everybody is an expert. I am very glad my dogs do not understand human language at least in a conversation. I am sure they would have something to say.

Most people I come across generally peg Blue for a BC, he has what most consider the BC markings and look.

But you know, IDGAF on that! He could be red, green, and yellow, with two tails but if behind the eyes and between the ears he is a BC I could care less his exterior!

And the snobby AKC humpers with there puggles, labradoodles, and whatever other combo they want can “smooch my butt” :rolleyes: nice way to say kiss my a**. They sit there and talk about how perfect there animal is, mean time its shakin’ and peein’ itself, all the while Blue and I using the course having fun.

Wow that was a vent, sorry.

Picture_002.jpg

• 2 months later...

I often have the opposite thing come up. Millie is a BC mix and I have people insisting she's purebred. She does have a lot of BC traits, and I know her parents so I know for a fact she *is* mostly BC, but what annoys me isn't even about the guesses about the breeds, it's about how people seem to think by looking at our dogs they know more about them than we do. :rolleyes:

It's been guessed that she's a cocker spaniel before. Here's my spaniel.

2815225145_4f4af6d2c6.jpg

2815223985_2e6b22f29e.jpg

2815201985_2af68c2788.jpg

Well, now, that's a fine-lookin' Spaniel you've got there.

:D

Actually, because Suka's a red dog, I seem to have fewer people making assertions about her breed - They're confused completely, so are willing to grab any line I toss them. I've been calling her a "border mutt" lately, and people seem to be able to handle that concept.

I got the spaniel thing for Jade too!!! I honestly can't figure out how ANYONE can look at the sharp features of (most) Border Collies (i.e. pointy nose, pointy ears, skinny bony legs, lean muscles, etc.) and think it even remotely resembles any variety of spaniel or setter (i.e. big floppy ears, chunky legs, big feet, curly fur, generally a 'bubble' figure IMO). Now, I can see how Jade's coloring could clue to spaniel (I haven't seen many BCs with her coloring) but if you look at the shape and ignore color/markings...

3 - They tell me what my dogs are and what they are crossed with.

Actually, that's not all that surprising. When we got Annie, our vet quipped that "of all breeds, Border Collies are the ones that look most like mutts" (she was referring to the fact that BC's are not bred for consistent conformance standards, but rather for their wealth of abilities), and to expect that many people will presume that Annie is a mixed-breed. I also often get the question, "What kind of breed is that?" I patiently explain that she is a Timber Wolf/Skunk mix with a really bad attitude, a nasty mean streak, an intense dislike for people, and a bite force that can smash bones...

I patiently explain that she is a Timber Wolf/Skunk mix with a really bad attitude, a nasty mean streak, an intense dislike for people, and a bite force that can smash bones...

Nice one!

Cool photo! I just want to point out to folks that working-bred Aussies indeed are built much like working-bred border collies and not like the bigger, clunkier show bred dogs. The difference between the two is as staggering as the differences between working- and show-bred border collies.

J.

I've had show bred males in aussie and they clearly arent border collies in personality. I've also had show and working aussie females and there is no way you would mistake them for a border collie. Currently we have 2 red merle F working lines dogs. They look like Bcs to a point but, they are so high energy and well annoying. All of the females we have had do not get along with the female border collies and they dont take no for an answer. If they choose to be mouthy or obnoxious they will continue to nip, tug, yank you no matter what I say or do. I wont mention the kelpie cross who also bites my behind when I'm not looking.

As an owner of a white and red border collie and a yellow border collie mix. I can symathize with the op. Just smile it's easier and then invent a hasty retreat.

A few weeks ago, my aunt, who's a vet, was driving home from work and found a border collie. He was about to run onto a busy interstate, but she was able to call him over and he hopped right in the car. She called up all the humane societies and other vet practices in the area. As she was describing him to one of the vets they insisted he had to be a mix since he was a tri color. She tried to tell them that bc's come in many colors, but eventually gave up( you would think vets would be up on dog breeds). Well no one claimed him so she has a wonderful tri bc that loves her kids.

Samantha

I am very new to this breed and I have been asked numerous times already. I have actually told people "Remember the movie Babe...with the pig? Well the dogs with the sheep, she's one of them..." ANd then I get oohhhhh! Easier to tell city kids something they can relate to.

post-9177-1222314897_thumb.jpg