BC Boards

Thats not a border collie!

Re: the dalmation thing, my first dog was a medium-coated blue merle border collie x Australian shepherd. I was out rollerblading with him one day when I passed a mother and child. The child asked if Indy was a dalmation. The only thing I could figure was that the kid had recently watched 101 Dalmations and had dalmations on the brain or something. Indy had little white on him and was mostly grey with big black splotches. Dalmation?

Star,

That color is known as Aussie red or ee red. Genetically it's yellow, the same as yellow labs. It's called Aussie red because it's seen largely in dogs with Australian heritage and to differentiate it from what we call red, which is really brown or liver, genetically bb.

P.S. You can see from the photos in my sig line that I don't really have a classic looking border collie (well, except Ranger, the pup), and when people ask me what they are, I simply say they are working border collies. If it needs further explanation, I remark that working border collies aren't bred for how they look but rather how they work and so they don't always look like what people are used to seeing, which are the show dogs. I've never had anyone argue with or not accept that explanation (it's true, after all).

J.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, njnovice, nice pit bull you have. Both of them! :rolleyes:

Alex and I were at an agility trial on Sunday and got two new ones. Someone asked if he was a purebred Kelpie, which wasn't *too* bad, I guess. But then I was told he looks like an Akita mix. Yeah, all 19 inches and 30 lbs of him. :D

148n6hi.jpg

Seamus is classically marked and i don't know who COULDN'T identify him as anything other than a Border Collie... Even with his extra weight.

The other day at the park:

Random person: Oh hey look at that! There's one of those australians with a tail!

Myself: Seamus is actually a Border Collie.

Random person: Is that what they call the australians with a tail?

Myself: No, he's a Border Collie. Different breed entirely.

Random person: Oh yeah? :rolleyes:

Whhaatt??

P.S. You can see from the photos in my sig line that I don't really have a classic looking border collie (well, except Ranger, the pup), and when people ask me what they are, I simply say they are working border collies. If it needs further explanation, I remark that working border collies aren't bred for how they look but rather how they work and so they don't always look like what people are used to seeing, which are the show dogs. I've never had anyone argue with or not accept that explanation (it's true, after all).

J.

This is exactly what I have started doing, however I say she is probably a working border collie and not bred for looks. The only problem with saying probably as I found out yesterday is it gives the person a loophole and then the guessing game begins.... :rolleyes: Since Daisy is a rescue and I have no idea about her history, I was trying to be honest about it.

Most days, I have to say, I do get is that a border collie?

Hey, njnovice, nice pit bull you have. Both of them! :rolleyes:

Thanks! They tend to provoke a lot of conversation when I walk them together, because they're a pretty odd couple. People often don't believe me Sinead's a pit bull either, because she's either "too small" or "too nice." She has pretty much the best temperament ever...although, it was kind of embarrassing the other day when she was hiding behind me, because a mini schnauzer decided to go after her. Mick, on the other hand, thinks doing things like picking a fight through a fence with a Maremma is a smart thing to do.

That's a pretty good looking akita you have there, too, btw.

This is my Ross, no one ever believes he is a Border Collie. Between his whiteness, his tri face and his perky pointy ears he has been called a Sheltie, a Terv mix, a Rough Collie Mix, a Dalmatian mix (that one was a ?? for me) and an "absolutely can't be a Border Collie, they don't look like that.

I have been asked several times when walking all 3 of my dogs together if he is the "mother" of my 2 Papillons.

rosscute.jpg

a0dda1f1.jpg

He looks a lot like my Tommy. She is white with the black and tan face. Her body is all white with a few ticks of black and she has one front leg that is black with a tan stripe. I think she looks just like a working border collie.

this is why i am on here so much. EVERYONE thinks tegan is a mix cus she 30 lbs and smooth coat. plus a shave her in the summer. people say jack russel greyhound and mainly whippet. it use to upset me but now i just laugh. i met her mom she was a medium coat about 40 pounder and her dad got shit few days before i got there by a amish man. but i got a pic of him and he is a smooth coat. with jess she is almost perfect looking but she is only 33 lbs and i shave her also so people have no clue. and i would like to see a jrt herd. i use to have one they herd to kill thats it. people tell me borders are just crazy hyper dogs. teag right now is asleep on the coach and jess is at my feet. so people can just shove it.

Paula -- I'm not familiar with Alex...only Will...:D

What? You don't know the gloriousness that is Alex?? :D

2n6b5p0.jpg

(No, he's NOT peeing or pooping here, just snapped it before he sat all the way down)

2lwlw20.jpg

As for Will, you had your chance! :rolleyes: