BC Boards

how often do you wash your puppy/dog ???

I have had Black Jack since December '06. He had a bath whem I first got him to get the shelter ickies off of him and he just got another one a few days ago. So in the year and a half I have had him he's had two. He wouldn't have needed this one if he'd let me brush him :rolleyes: He rarely rolls in anything stinky or goes swimming in bad water so I usally don't need to wash him much.

Because of Libby's allergies she gets a bath about every two weeks, mainly to ensure that no fleas can develope (she's VERY allergic to bug bites)...of course, she got an extra bath last night because she decided to 'help' us dig holes to transplant some tomatoes in the garden.............

Baxter and Bonnie generally get a bath with shampoo and creme rinse about every 1 to 2 months. Sooner if they roll in something stinky. I am not sure they need to be bathed that often, but I like the way they smell afterwards - lavendar/mint buddy wash and rinse. However, my vet has about 7 dogs - one is a border collie. She told me she only bathes her dogs about once every 6 months. My two are very good once in the tub, but run and hide when I am trying to get them in the bathroom - they just know when it is time. However, you can't keep them out of a pond, kiddie pool, creek, or mud puddle - no matter how cold or dirty the water!

Mel, Bonnie, and the Baxter

This resulted in a large variety of answers...I guess we'll have to see how it goes.

Now I'm taking a big risk here but my vet once told me ( when I still had my previous dog , who had very dry skin) that the best shampoo for dogs was ......" the stuff ladies us for intimate hygiene " I cannot name brands here because we all live in different countries. But I got some and tried it on my old dog and it resulted in a clean scratchless dog.

She said the stuff is so gentle that it doesn't change the dogs natural Ph balance, doesn't dry out the skin and keeps him clean.

It made sense , even if it sounded a bit strange ,..and my husband refused to go buy some :rolleyes:

I was happy the dog couldn't read the label :D

OK. I'll admit to it, and be the odd man out. I rotate taking my dogs in with me to work, so each of them lands in the tub about once a month, and goes home smelling of the most lovely doggie perfumes. I do draw the line at putting bows in their hair.

Some,.... even get a hot oil treatment if their really good!

Hmmm...lets see. When Carlie is doing therapy work she is required to have a bath before every visit which is once a week. If she hasn't done anything yucky like river swimming then sometimes I sneak by by spraying some doggie perfume on her instead of a bath. The rest of the dogs get baths every 3-4 weeks. My husband is allergic to dogs so when they start to build up too much dander they end up needing baths. I am allergic to everything outdoors so in the spring, summer and fall I need them bathed due to the pollen that they bring in on their fur.

I use oatmeal shampoos and make sure I rinse really really thoroughly. Between baths I brush regularly which I think helps spread the natural oils in their fur and keeps them from getting dry skin.

Olivia

Hmmm...lets see. When Carlie is doing therapy work she is required to have a bath before every visit which is once a week. If she hasn't done anything yucky like river swimming then sometimes I sneak by by spraying some doggie perfume on her instead of a bath. The rest of the dogs get baths every 3-4 weeks. My husband is allergic to dogs so when they start to build up too much dander they end up needing baths. I am allergic to everything outdoors so in the spring, summer and fall I need them bathed due to the pollen that they bring in on their fur.

I use oatmeal shampoos and make sure I rinse really really thoroughly. Between baths I brush regularly which I think helps spread the natural oils in their fur and keeps them from getting dry skin.

Olivia

The remark about pollen is a good one !! My husband and son are both allergic to pollen and other outdoors stuff so I should take that into consideration. I brush him regularly as well but I need to find the perfect brush .... I will start a different topic on that question.