BC Boards

Male & Female differences

Besides the physical differences and the habits that are mostly gender related in dogs (ie lifting leg to pee- male), has anyone else noticed other odd behaviors. Obviously there will be exceptions to any pattern, but is there a pattern?

Ceana acts almost dainty, sits on pillows, and doesn't make many bodily noises.

Poke on the other hand burps and farts in your face. :D His poo is even more odifforous. :rolleyes:

We brought home an 8 week old foster girl today and she will go out of her way to be on top of a pillow. Am I the only one who has seen these types of differences, or are my dogs just being stereo typical? :D

One thing I noticed was that the female border collies seemed more status oriented and more inclined to displays like mad teeth at other dogs. They seem more picky about who they will play with (won't play with lower status dogs [or people :rolleyes: ]) I don't know if this is universally true or just unique to the ones I'm around.

Abby and Ryan are very stereotypical. Abby is careful to lie only on soft cushions or blankets and Ryan flops down anywhere, any time. When I'm sitting or lying down Abby keeps an eye on me but from a distance; Ryan prefers to be touching me in some way and draped completely on top of me is best. She's a picky eater, he eats anything. Abby has never in her life knocked something off a shelf or been clumsy - Ryan can barely get through a room without tripping over something :rolleyes: He's definitely a boy!

Well my girls like to lie on top of me and get very close and are also happy to turn their noses up at soft beds inside and lie outside on the ground outside even when it is cold, especially my BC, the ACDS prefer their comforts more.

Nothing dainty about their eating habits either. My female BC is happy to eat anything, maybe she has been taught well by my voracious food scoffing female cattle dogs.

One thing I noticed was that the female border collies seemed more status oriented and more inclined to displays like mad teeth at other dogs. They seem more picky about who they will play with (won't play with lower status dogs [or people :D ]) I don't know if this is universally true or just unique to the ones I'm around.

Now that you mention it, that would describe River (female) with other dogs - but as long as you have something for her to fetch in your hand, she doesn't care who the human is :rolleyes:

Don't have any other female BC to compare him to, just your descriptions and the countless pics:

1. No snarkiness with other dogs - ever

2. No resource guarding

3. Burps like a sailor after eating - it's actually part of his "thank you, I really enjoyed my dinner" ritual, along with lips smacking and face wipping on the carpet

4. Farts like a man - if it happens, it happens, it wasn't his fault (actually he very seldomly does it, but when he does, it's just part of life)

5. Extremly clumsy - bumps his nose, head into corners, tables. Totally unfazed by it

6. Loves a rough game of greek-roman fight with Chris - they bite each other and make a mess in the bed, then they both look innocent when I come in to see what the riot is

7. Marks until there's no liquid left to spare in his body - then he continues to dry mark. Never marks in the house. Occasionally, he's been known to mark other dogs - none of them complained so far.

8. He does like to have a pillow under his chin if he sleeps on the couch, but would rather sleep on the floor, roughing it like a real man

I decided that Foxy wasnt going to be a very ladylike dog..So I at least gave her dignity with a ladylike name of Foxglove..lol. Anyways she does make all sorts of bodily noises, not everyday, but I still hear them..and she definitely has no problem getting dirty or in the water. She loves everyone and everything.. never have even heard her growl except when shes playing with another dog. Definitely a go getter.

With a sample of one -- Senneca is my first female -- these observations may be more her individuality, than sex-related:

• She doesn't much care for pillows, but loves her fleece crate pads. She refuses to set a paw on the canvas of her raised bed; there must be a quilt or crate pad on it before she will use it.
  • She is very sensitive and soft. "NO" is a strong reprimand and if I slip and use the word during agility she will shut down.
  • She is quiet and rarely barks -- only alarm barking and she stops as soon as I come to see what it is.
  • She certainly burps and farts, but it's quiet and you need to very close to hear it.
  • At the dog park, she is mostly quiet and people say she is a very mellow BC; right up to the moment she explodes into action. Her sprint across the park when she spots a skateboarder on the path outside causes everybody's head to turn.
  • She is very selective with the dogs she will play with. It is noticeable that she loves to play with puppies and does so very gently.
  • When we relax together, she likes to place a paw on me -- I have never had a dog do this before.
  • When she runs and plays her movements are graceful -- almost like a ballerina. She executes side-ways leaps and gyrations that amaze me. When she is excited, she can jump up so that I can feel her whiskers touch my nose, but she never actually bumps into me.