BC Boards

Buzz has osteosarcoma

Apparently Hubby misunderstood what Dr. Reif said, and the spot near his ankle that looked funny to Dr. Reif just shouted cancer to the vet radiologist.

We're in shock. My understanding is that there's not much to be done except pain management. DH and I just can't take it in. We may look into some alternative things for quality of life issues, but it seems that we've only got our beautiful, goofy boy for 3 to 6 more months.

My heart is breaking.

Ruth

Is amputation an option? HandicappedPets.com has a forum for amputation. There are several members whose dog’s amputation was due to cancer. Tessa’s, who is a member of that forum, dog Xena had her leg amputated over 18 months ago because of cancer and she is doing great.

Rhys’, the dog in my avatar, leg was amputated in April 2007 due to an injury that didn’t heal correctly. That photo was taken 6 weeks after the amputation. He is doing great. Missing a rear leg is less handicapping than a front leg because the majority of the dog’s weight is on the front legs.

Sending good vibes your way.

Cathy

Thanks, everyone.

I'm realizing that the BuzzMeister hasn't really been himself since he started limping. I was out of town over Mother's Day weekend, and picked him up from the kennel with that limp. Of course I assumed he'd been playing too hard and hurt himself. But, he just wasn't champing at the bit and charging around the way he always has done.

He got a bit of his old joie de vivre back during the first round of metacam. If he perks up (gave him a dose tonight) over the next few days again, I'll be more inclined to consider a more aggressive treatment. If not, and we can't get his goofy self showing up again, we'll probably just continue with pain management.

I know that all of you have lost much loved dogs, and that your words of comfort are heart felt. Thank you,

Ruth

Sorry to hear about Buzz. Seriously though, look into amputation. I have a friend who had the front leg up to the shoulder amputated last fall on her 5 y.o. open trial dog due to this, and the dog is competing this season. If it hasn't metastisized, move quickly, and he might have significant time left on this earth. Good luck.

Poor guy. At least you can spoil him now and make his remaining time as happy as possible. There are a lot of ways to treat the pain associated with osteosarcoma and there are vets who specialize in pain relief. Have you seen an oncologist? Even if you think you just want to make him comfortable it would be worth the visit to go talk to one.

Ruth, I am so very sorry to hear this. It's such terrible news to receive and have to accept. My thoughts and best wishes are with you and Buzz.

There is a trial currently going on at the Veterinary College of the University of Pennsylvania dealing with pain management in canine osteosarcoma. I know a dog who I thought would have to be put down within the week when he was enrolled in the study, but did very well and was virtually pain-free for four months before the hard decision had to be made. I know you're on the west coast and so it wouldn't be practical for you to enter Buzz in the study, but I wonder if they would be willing to discuss with your vet the drugs they are using, and perhaps the drugs would be available for your vet to use simply as treatment. The experimental drug my friend's dog got seemed really effective just from what I could see. (The meds they used in addition to the experimental drug were Tramidol, Previcox, and a stomach lining aid, Misoprostol.) The study coordinator is Molly Love, at 215 573-9029 or at mlove@vet.upenn.edu. My friend found her very helpful and easy to deal with. No harm in trying.