BC Boards

ALEX IS NOT A HUGE CHILD FAN

Jackie's son Joe's and his girlfriend are expecting. They are presently living in the house. And I'm worried about Alex. She is not a huge kid fan. She has come a long way in dealing with them, but has never lived with a newborn. She also adapts to change/chaos by trying to control it.

I've been thinking of getting one of those dolls that cries and etc. to desensitize her. Is that silly? What else should I be looking into?

The baby is due October 26th so I have lots of time to be proactive and I want to use it as best I can.

Esox

Maybe by October Jackie's son and girlfriend can find a place of their own. Or for the first few months, interaction between baby and dog can be limited and Alex can gradually get used to the new human. I'd worry more when baby is crawling, walking and grabbing toys. I would think using a doll to desensitize Alex might have a worsening effect and since the doll won't be actually vying for attention will do very little good.

Barb S

I would start using strollers and car seats and such around him as much as possible. Sometimes the baby equipment is more scary/threatning than the baby! Also, after the baby comes, let Alex smell the little blankets and clothing of the baby. Definitely make the baby's room off limits now. I also agree that the baby posses more of a prob after it is crawling and mobile. Also get some baby toys and teach Alex they are off limits. And let her hear the different sounds that they make. I don't think the doll will work. Most dogs hearing is so advanced that they can tell if a sound is "real" or not. The doll may sound like a baby to us, but when the dog hears the real baby, it will not sound the same to her.

Or just follow Bustophers advice! :rolleyes:

My dog came home a non-fan of kids. For a long time, I just had him do a "lie down" in a field somewhere near kids, so he could see them move and dart around. Eventually, he realized that baby strollers often have delicious things falling off them, and he'll happily approach one now, nose sniffing. He seems to understand that babies in strollers are both caged up and careless with food. :rolleyes:

That's probably not much help... But I would cross my fingers that the early months of the baby's life, when he's immobile, the dog will adjust to this baby specifically. Then, as the baby gets older, maybe the dog will know him and tolerate him more.

My family had a kid-hater when I was a teenager, and she would simply go lie under the end table in the playroom whenever toddlers came to visit. She learned to remove herself from the situation, rather than wait around to get poked or tugged.

Good luck!

Mary

Some great suggestions already and I think you're definitely on the right track with the doll. My Kona was very sensitive to baby crying and toddler/young child shrieking. I recorded the noises and did desensitization exercises with high value treats. It didn't take long for him to associate the noises with tasty goodness. Another thought I had was to borrow one of my niece's "Tickle Me Ernie" (Ernie looks more like a person than Elmo) as the noise and movements are rather extreme.

I have a grandchild, when I go see him I'm there for a couple days at a time. We go at least once a month.

My dogs do not get to be around babies ever except my grandson. They were all very nervous at first, including me. I kept/keep a close eye on all. If the dogs show any signs of worry I put them out of the room. The crawling stage was not easy so I just kept them apart. Now that Covi is walking and dropping food, they love him. I've found the toys are the worst. The dogs think that all Covi's toys are better than theirs. I don't let them play with any of them. They get to the point where they do the BC stare at the toys that look the most fun. When that happens I redirect them. It's working, it'd be harder if we all lived together but I'm sure you can work it out.

My younger pup was quite scared of Covi during the crawling stage but now that he's walking he looks like a human and things are better. Supervise, Supervise, Supervise. I've never left them alone with Covi, not even for a second. My dogs aren't agressive but I would never trust any dog alone with an inquisitive child.

I find it funny now, I've taught Covi (18 months) how to tell the dogs NO, Lie Down and Get (our word for move out of the way). they listen becasue Covi is such a parrot his voice has the same tone mine does. Maybe he'll grow up to be the dog lover I am!

Congrats on the new baby to come!

Kristen

Hannah is terrified of kids, barks, circles them and won't let them touch her. Interestingly enough, when my fiancee's sister had a baby, she was ok with him. I think it was because he didn't move like older kids do. She was a bit curious but didn't really pay much attention to him. The crying didn't seem to bother her either, she just ignored it.

Yes they are.

When they told me I was going to be one. I totally freaked out. I was way to young and babies stink. BUt once that little guy was here it was love at frist sight!

What a reward!

Grandchildren are the only reason to let your children survive puberty.

And the two of my kids who have been and are involved in raising kids (one biological, three step) have called me and said that they now understand what I went through with them. And thanked me for letting them live.

By the way, Fergie was usually nervous about children when we met them on walks.

Then Ardyn (our son-in-law's daughter), at age 3, came into Ferg's life. Occasionally, in controlled situations. But Ferg learned that Ardyn meant tons of attention and as many treats as we'd allow.

Then Mari & Keith produced Elena. Fergie met Elena when Elena was days old. Ferg liked the smells, liked the toes, and realized that the baby usually slept or nursed. And nursing meant even better smells. She saw Elena often enough all along the way that each stage was a progression, not a surprise.

I think the early introduction, the constant contact, and supervision will all combine to make yours a wonderful extended family.