BC Boards

Spade question

So I have Callie scheduled to go in on June 18th. She's 6 months old. Is this too early? The vet said between 5 and 6 months. Some shelter folks I've talked to have it done much earlier. The breeder I got her from is saying it's still too early. Appreciate anyone's thoughts on this.... Thanks

There is actually a thread on this in the Health and Genetics section I believe. I had Daisy done before she wen't into her first heat, she was around 6 months I believe, maybe a bit older. There are pro's and con's to what age you decide from what i've read so far on that thread I mentioned.

I know that the chance of female cancers decreases dramatically if you spay them before their first heat. As far as age I know with cats it has more to do with how big they are because of being put under. The majority of my animals have been spayed/neutered at 6 months. Of course I still take that day and the next off of work. Moms worry.

Esox

The majority of my animals have been spayed/neutered at 6 months. Of course I still take that day and the next off of work. Moms worry.

Esox

I had Skye spayed at 6 months also.

Of course I logged into this thread because I thought somebody was asking a gardening question. :rolleyes:

Ailsa

I got both my male and female done at 4 mos. Both seem fine to me. But be sure and check out the pros and cons before you decide. :rolleyes:

Here in Wy the vets won't spay or neuter before six months old. But I have always heard that around six months old is the best time. But it changes with every person you ask. Good luck. Let me know how it goes. She's getting spayed on my Birthday so I'll be sure to remember her :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the info. I realized that I spelled it wrong after I submitted it, but was too lazy to delete and start over. One of those occasions where the mind knew what I wanted to type, but the fingers did there own thing. Thanks again.

Kaylee was a submissive pee-er as a pup, and my vet counseled me to wait until she was a full six months old to spay her, as he's seen a very few females develop some incontinence after spaying. He thought it was safer. That's about the age the peeing stopped, at least indoors, meeting people. Sometimes on meeting a new and big, nosy dog, she'll pee a little, still.

So I have Callie scheduled to go in on June 18th. She's 6 months old. Is this too early? The vet said between 5 and 6 months. Some shelter folks I've talked to have it done much earlier. The breeder I got her from is saying it's still too early. Appreciate anyone's thoughts on this.... Thanks

Hi,

This article might be of interest if you're going to be competing with your dog....

http://www.caninesports.com/SpayNeuter.html

Janet

You need to sit down with your breeder and ask her why she is of the opinion it is to young. Remember vets go to school about generalities..and that's great and important, but we are talking about an individual. The breeder should know *this* bloodline individually and what had worked best for those dogs. For example she may have a line like mine that matures quite late, the first heat being well after 12 months. Spaying at 6 months for one of my dogs would be way to early - with higher risk of negative side effects.

Shelter personel have different rationales because of the situations and people they deal with. Since we are talking about an owned dog (not one being adopted to Joe Public) with an apparently responsible breeder and owner behind her we have more options that spaying as soon as possible medically (i.e. big enough to be knocked out to operate on)

My advice is get the breeders advice first, then add in the vets, and make a decision from that point.

Hi,

This article might be of interest if you're going to be competing with your dog....

http://www.caninesports.com/SpayNeuter.html

Janet

Thanks everyone for all the info. I think it was this link that finally did me in. I've canceled the appointment, and i'm going to wait a few more months before I reschedule.

On a side note we opened up the pool this past weekend. I was in it last night and she went from the deck, up the ladder and into the water in about 3 seconds flat. I know they love water, but damn. Now we make it a point to take the front of the ladder off when we arent using it. Never had to worry about the fat beagle going in the pool. ;-)

Since you decided this be sure you understand what her er..private :rolleyes:...area should look like and roll her over to check her *once a week*. That way if she is an early bird regarding heats you notice early and take appropriate management steps.

I agree with both Lenajo's posts. I waited until Faith was about 18 months old to spay her, but she'd only had one heat at that age - she was well over a year old the first time.

Although instead of a visual check, I just assumed Faith might go into heat at any moment after she was six months old. Some girls just don't show any signs till it's too late. :rolleyes:

From her sixt-month birthday until after she was spayed, I never left Faith where there was even the slightest possibility that she might be bred. I have an intact male Lhasa (who is far too old and delicate to neuter), so when I wasn't home and watching I crated Faith in a bedroom and closed the doors to the room. Violet was in there with her so she didn't get too lonely. No way was I chancing collie-Apso's. :D

From the title of this topic (Spade Question) I thought we were going to be talking about shovels! :rolleyes: ....sorry, ahem.

I say 6 months is good but definately before the first heat due to cancer concerns. I believe the figures are a reduced by around 87%. That to me is more than worth it. But there is also the consideration of horomones and growth platelets. If your dog is going to be into any kind of sport such as agility, flyball or disc it delays the sealing of the platelets. Getting them fixed at a later age (but still before first heat) is a healthy consideration. Koda is into disc, almost 8 months old and is not neutered yet. Im planning on about 10 months to give him a little extra edge and a sooner platelet seal. He should be training in vaults around 18 months old.

Ryan