BC Boards

Alternatives to fish oil?

Are there any good alternatives to fish oil for dogs? I know my horses get the same Omega benefits from flax, but I've read that dogs don't digest the flax the same way and do not get the benefits.

My mutt, Lu, would quite happily live off nothing but fish, but any fish product of any sort gives Nick diarrhea almost immediatley. Doesn't stop him from eating dead fish on the beach, and the results are foul.

I'd like to give Nick something for the Omega benefits, but it can't be fish based. I myself take Omega oils for the heart benefits (I have a slight heart problem) and the results have been noticeable.

Thanks!

Safflower Oil with vitamin E might be good. I used it before I started giving canned mackerel and canned salmon.

Could your dog tolerate a little fish? Maybe add a few spoonfuls of canned salmon or mackerel to some kibble?

That way he'd get the flavor of fish, since he seems to like it so much - better than eating dead stuff!

Kate

Sea vegetables are where the fish get their omega-3s from, so if your dog can handle them, look for seaweed - alaria and dulse are the two highest in DHA. A little goes a long way, so it's worth the expense. Good luck!

MagicGirl,

I think the lack of benefit comes if you feed your dog straight flax seed as opposed to flax seed oil. Horses, which are herbivores, should be able to process the seed and gain benefit from it. Dogs, on the other hand, probably can't use the seeds to obtain the benefits of the oil and so should be given the oil directly.

J.

Actually, it's because the omega3s in plants comes in the form of ALA, a precursor of DHA and EPA. In fish, the extra step of processing ALA is not required. Dogs have a sort of inconsistent ability to process ALA. Some dogs use it very well, some don't have the wherewithall to break it down at all (Ben is one of these).

I'm not sure where sea vegetables stand on this issue. I think they also have ALA, but it's more highly concentrated. Hmmm, have to go look that up . . . :rolleyes:

There is absolutley no fish going into Nick. Unless someone else wants to come wash bedding & a stinky BC everyday :rolleyes: It's that bad.

My other dog is allergic to soy, but she's allergic to EVERYTHING... except fish! Why does someone hate me so? :D I don't know how Nick tolerates soy. I imagine just fine- it's only fish, and sometimes too many kidneys, that seem to bother his stomach. I've seen both dogs eat kelp on the beach- makes a great toy. I imagine other sea weed would be fine.

Becca, is the dried sea weed okay to feed? I have a bag of dulse around- it's great on popcorn.

Hrm. I was just by the vet's office today. I should have stopped to ask. Mostly, it'd be an excuse to see my vet, who is one incredibly good looking man! :D

What about Omega 3 eggs? From what I understand, the amount of Omega 3's in them are not as high as in fish oils, but it would be something. It would also be a tad pricey, but if you gave them several times a week, it's something.

We have 20 chickens, and the eggs are good money. We eat the busted ones. Plus the mutt dog is horribly allergic to eggs. Seriously, when she was allergy tested, the list of things that caused a reaction was two pages long! It's easier to just keep any food that causes problems off the floor around here.

I'll try the seaweed. I can't imagine Nick won't eat it- he's the kind of dog who eats pills if you toss them into his food bowl.