BC Boards

Supplements

When we first got Scooter the vet told us to give him Pet Tabs vitamin supplements, which we did for a while. Then I started reading that they could be more harmful than helpful. Now a few days ago, she prescribed something called Aller G3, an Omega-3 fatty acid supplement. I think when I looked it up on the Internet it said it was good for inflammation, shiny coat (he already has that), reduces shedding (he doesn't shed that much). Cost me $16 and he hates it! He's normally good about taking pills, but this one he really seems to dislike. I'm just wondering if it's something that's necessary, or just another way of padding the bill. I like our vet, but I also know she's in the business to make a profit. I don't want to force these things down his throat if they aren't going to do anything for him. I have to be his advocate and just as with human doctors, vets aren't immune to promoting the latest drug that the drug salesman gave her samples of. I know--I sound cynical, but I've had too many bad experiences with meds, both for me and Scooter. :rolleyes:

I don't think you really have to use anything if their food is good enough. I don't give anything other than dog food to Black Jack and he does fine. When I switched to the Chicken soup dog fod he got an even nicer coat and seems to use more of it. He's weight leveled off and he got more energy. If Scooter is doing good on his food I don't see why he'd need more.

I don't think you really have to use anything if their food is good enough. I don't give anything other than dog food to Black Jack and he does fine. When I switched to the Chicken soup dog fod he got an even nicer coat and seems to use more of it. He's weight leveled off and he got more energy. If Scooter is doing good on his food I don't see why he'd need more.

That was my thought too. I did try Chicken Soup recently, having so many people recommend it--mixing only about 6 morsels with his regular dry food and he sniffed and walked away. :rolleyes:

We have tried Aller G3 with one of our dogs who has periodic skin problems. He hates the tabs and we can't see that it has made any difference. Our dogs get high quality food and we care for them well. I am not big on adding things to their diet unless it is to solve a medical problem. What is Chicken soup. I recently switched to a dog food of the same brand we use for better weight control but I have been concerned about their energy level. I have noticed one of my dogs who is on this food seems to have a little less energy and enthusiasm. I am thinking of switching him back btu i still have a concern for his weight and conditioning.

We have tried Aller G3 with one of our dogs who has periodic skin problems. He hates the tabs and we can't see that it has made any difference. Our dogs get high quality food and we care for them well. I am not big on adding things to their diet unless it is to solve a medical problem. What is Chicken soup. I recently switched to a dog food of the same brand we use for better weight control but I have been concerned about their energy level. I have noticed one of my dogs who is on this food seems to have a little less energy and enthusiasm. I am thinking of switching him back btu i still have a concern for his weight and conditioning.

Scooter gained a few pounds over the winter, but nothing major. I had noticed a slight decrease in his energy level, but intermittently. I believe, based on research, that I'm feeding him high quality food, depending, that is, on who I talk to! Seems no matter what he's eating, someone says it's "the worst," "that killed my dog," "this is better." :rolleyes: If he won't eat it, it doesn't matter how healthy it is! Hence, the reason for Chicken Soup For The Dog Lover's Soul." It's "all natural," holistic. Expensive. Stick with your instincts. No one knows your dog like you do. :D

I do give my dogs supplements, but they are supplements of my choice, based on knowledge I've gained for myself. I have working dogs, so I supplement their diets with added fat (for energy). They all get fish oil (for omega-3 fatty acids)and vit E (antioxidant effect). The middle-aged working dogs and oldsters get a supplement that contains glucosamine and also get MSM. My geriatric fellow, who has had numerous problems, also gets B complex, turmeric, and cinnamon (the latter two items are a holistic approach to anti-inflammatories, among other uses) in addition to the other stuff. The youngsters get just the fish oil and vit E. Sometimes the older dogs also get a product called Fresh Factors. I have 10 dogs total, so don't take supplementing lightly (due to cost), but I do what I think is best for them.

Obviously, the geriatric guy is the one who gets A LOT if STUFF. But, since starting some of the various supplements, he didn't lose his hair for the first time last year, he seems to move a bit better, and his cognitive capabilities also seem improved. So I'll keep giving him all that stuff.

Whoever said a good dog food should be enough is probably correct. Heck, back when I was a kid, everyone fed the foods that are not considered crap and certainly didn't supplement them at all, and yet are dogs were pretty darn healthy! Of course, as medical expertise changes, we now know that some things can be helpful for boosting immune systems, improving skin conditions, etc.

To the OP, if your dog doesn't have a specific skin problem (allergies) for which that product was prescribed, then I wouldn't bother giving it. If you're just trying to add omega-3 fatty acids to the diet, fish oil capsules will suffice. Most of my dogs eath the capsules in with their food. I have to puncture the capsules for a couple of them and squeeze the contents out over the food.

FWIW, you are your dog's best advocate. If you don't understand why a vet is giving you a particular prescription, ask. If the vet can't give you a good explanation, then you can make a decision based on that. If the vet has a well-thought-out reason for why a particular product will help your dog, then the next question to ask is if there's an equivalent OTC product you can use. I personally wouldn't force supplements down my dogs' throats of they hated them. I do not hold that view for necessary prescription items (i.e., I have two older dogs on thyroid meds and one on incontinence meds and I will get those pills down them, by hook or by crook). So anyway, do some research on supplements and what their benefits and risks are and then do what seems sensible to you.

J.

I supplement my dogs with salmon oil and vitamin E. It seems that Aller G3 is pretty much the same thing. I can't say enough good things about the effects of salmon oil for my dogs, and commerical foods do not contain enough Omega 3 fatty acids to make a difference. So, I would actually recommend supplementing with either what you're giving him, or some other type of fish body oil. If he doesn't like the taste of the liquid, you could try giving human grade salmon oil and vitamin E capsules. My dogs scarf them down like treats, or you could disguise it in his food. Probably less expensive to buy the people stuff, too.

ETA: Oops, I'm so slow, Julie's post wasn't there when I started typing my own. Sorry if repeated anything! :rolleyes:

I didn't mention it, but I also supplement with a glucosmine joint supplement, Glycoflex.

Supplements can do a lot of good when there is a reason to give them.

Speedy has arthritis in his spine and he has a new lease on life since starting Dog Gone Pain two Decembers ago.

Dean can't normally digest anything except chicken, but with digestive enzymes he can eat anything and everything and he's just fine.

Sammie and Maddie, who are older, both benefit from a joint supplement that includes Glucosamine and MSM.

They all have nicer coats since starting Grizzly Salmon Oil (and I give Vitamin E along with it).

I wouldn't not give supplements because some say they are not helpful. I've seen the benefits of giving them in all of my dogs.

At the same time, I read up on each supplement, try to find a good brand, and base my decision to continue it or not on the effects that I see both in the short term and over time.

Something most people do not consider is that the appropriate amount of vitamins and minerals in a commercial food is based on what is considers a serving. Sounds ok right? Have you ever read the instructions on these foods to see how much :rolleyes: the company considers a serving? WOW! When we fed kibble if we had gone by the bag our dogs would have been blimps.

If you are feeding less than the "recommended" amount your dog may or may not be getting the "recommended" amount of vitamins and minerals.

Supplements, don't with intelligent caution, can be very helpful. Fish oil, glucosamine, probiotics, Vit C, multivitamins...

Something most people do not consider is that the appropriate amount of vitamins and minerals in a commercial food is based on what is considers a serving. Sounds ok right? Have you ever read the instructions on these foods to see how much :D the company considers a serving? WOW! When we fed kibble if we had gone by the bag our dogs would have been blimps.

If you are feeding less than the "recommended" amount your dog may or may not be getting the "recommended" amount of vitamins and minerals.

Supplements, don't with intelligent caution, can be very helpful. Fish oil, glucosamine, probiotics, Vit C, multivitamins...

I know what you mean about the "recommended amount!" Lord! If we fed according to package directions, Scooter wouldn't be able to move by now, although he seems to very self regulating. If we happen to put in a little more food than normal, that's the exact amount he leaves! He's never been much of a chow hound, which the people at the puppy kindergarten never seemed to understand. They kept telling us we were just giving him the wrong treats! :rolleyes:

I guess the fish oil probably won't hurt him. Today he ate it with no problem, and kept going back to the spot where he'd eaten it (the white carpeted dining room), to lick the floor. He always takes his doggy treat into the carpeted living room to eat it too! Why do they do that? :D

II guess the fish oil probably won't hurt him. Today he ate it with no problem, and kept going back to the spot where he'd eaten it (the white carpeted dining room), to lick the floor. He always takes his doggy treat into the carpeted living room to eat it too! Why do they do that? :rolleyes:

I feed one of my dogs a partly raw diet (kibble and ground meat in the a.m.; raw in the p.m.). Sometimes I feed her in her crate and others I just feed her in the living room on a towel or sheet. Invariably she tooks the bloody raw item and moves it off the sheet and onto the carpet before starting to chew on it. I think they do it just to annoy us. LOL!

You can buy fish oil or salmon oil capsules at many places, so if that's all he's getting, you can get a less expensive version without going through your vet.

J.

I feed one of my dogs a partly raw diet (kibble and ground meat in the a.m.; raw in the p.m.). Sometimes I feed her in her crate and others I just feed her in the living room on a towel or sheet. Invariably she tooks the bloody raw item and moves it off the sheet and onto the carpet before starting to chew on it. I think they do it just to annoy us. LOL!

You can buy fish oil or salmon oil capsules at many places, so if that's all he's getting, you can get a less expensive version without going through your vet.

J.

Thanks! That's probably what I'll do next time. Assuming I see any difference. I think I'll call the vet tomorrow to see why she thought he needed it to begin with. Getting it at the local pharmacy has to be cheaper!! :rolleyes: