BC Boards

what color is this?

willow92

this dog is a blue merle, that much I know :rolleyes: dark areas are black, as is her nose so we're not dealing with a dilute here. what confuses me is that there is a slight bit of light tan on the legs, especially the front legs (see photo), but also a little light tan in the ears. no eye "spots". what color would I mark for this dog?

thanks all

post-8835-1212181383_thumb.jpg

It is pretty difficult to tell without seeing the whole dog. I don't understand though, if you think the dog is a blue merle, why the tan confuses you. Blue merle and tan is not uncommon.

RDM

I know nothing about blue merles. so the tan doesn't indicate a sable merle? or is it tan points? or just blue merle, period? I can't get a pic of the whole dog right away as I used a friends camera for the leg shot. if you saw a whole dog photo you probably would not notice the tan on the legs anyway, I had to zoom in for that. but imagine a blue merle with light tan intermingled on the legs. just wondering how to mark her coloring?

thanks

If she's blue merle with tan then she is a tri colored dog, just like a black and white tri, just merled out. Blue merle tri or blue merle with tan points. Not all tri colored dogs have the eye spots. A sable merle would have tan hairs with black tips in the solid areas. If the hairs are solid black then she is a blue merle.

Olivia

I know nothing about blue merles. so the tan doesn't indicate a sable merle? or is it tan points? or just blue merle, period? I can't get a pic of the whole dog right away as I used a friends camera for the leg shot. if you saw a whole dog photo you probably would not notice the tan on the legs anyway, I had to zoom in for that. but imagine a blue merle with light tan intermingled on the legs. just wondering how to mark her coloring?

thanks

I dunno - blue tri merle? Blue merle and tan? I have no idea what you are "marking" her colouring for, so I don't know what input to give you.

RDM

One of my dogs is predominantly blue merle with some gold mixed in - mostly on his face and legs. He is marked exactly like the dog in the snippet.

He's a "tri-merle" or "blue merle tri". I often end up just saying that he's a merle, though.

If that little bit on the legs is the only gold that your dog has, I would probably just say blue merle for simplicity sake.

It's fun when I fill out his license application. For "color" it gives black, white, brown, and red as the possible colors that the dog can be. I think I ended up checking all of them for him.