BC Boards

Border/Smooth Collie X Intro - Kona

This board is a life/sanity saver! (had to just say that first)

Just wanted to post a quick "hello" and introduce our rescue dog, Kona. He's just over a year and half now and has been with us about 6 months - at some points, the LONGEST months of our lives as he settled in to his new home! Picked up as a stray in the middle of nowhere, he was transferred between 2 different shelters over almost a 3 month period.

When we spent the introductory time with him at the Humane Society, he showed borderline neurotic behavior (for a SOLID 30 minutes, he was mouthing/biting and/or "mounting"). To add to the fun, the second a leash was put on, he would begin to frantically HOP like a kangaroo, then roll and writhe around in a fit of instant fear/frustration.

Needless to say, we did not take him after the first visit, nor the second or third visit. He would need A LOT of work, and we had to spend time making sure we were able to put the time in. At one point, the manager at the Humane Society had left a voicemail stating, "Just calling to see if you were still at all interested. He's a very tough one for us, and if it doesn't work with you, we're not sure what to do."

Fast forward - we brought the goofball home and he's doing better by leaps and bounds. He's been through Beginning and Advanced Obedience classes, passing with flying colors. He loves fetch and frisbee (surprise), so we're starting to dive into the world of Disc Dogs.

post-8845-1212135717_thumb.jpgpost-8845-1212135974_thumb.jpg

What a cutie pie! He sounds like a handful, thank you for putting the time and effort into him. But, it's paying off and I know it will continue to do so. Enjoy him!

His head is different, but body, coat and coloring is identical to my Alex. Whatever he's mixed with, sure is adorable.

Oh, and welcome to the boards.

Your an angel for taking him! It sounds like he's making all sorts of progress and I hope he continues to. Cheezy as it sounds, sometimes all they need is to feel real love and they really start to change for the better. Thanks for helping him feel that :rolleyes:

Also, he's so handsome!

Thank you for taking him in and I wish you all a wonderful life together!

As for the disc doggin', just ask if you need resources. I cant think of a better way to hang out and have a blast with your dog. :D

Cheezy as it sounds, sometimes all they need is to feel real love and they really start to change for the better.

You bet ya....and maybe some training on the side :rolleyes:

Ryan

He is one cute dog! I don't think he is a smooth collie mix though - in my experience, everything you mix with a collie gets the extra long nose.

It is fantastic you are working with his issues. So many people just plain won't. Good for you and welcome.

RDM

Welcome! It sounds like you just couldn't let him go. Sometime it's meant to be. Thank you for taking him in, despite his many flaws. You saved a life, no doubt.

Sheena beat me to it -- I don't see any smooth collie there -- maybe a smidge of hound to go with that Border Collie. Good for you sticking with him. I know what it's like to work with a "project" dog and how rewarding it can be.

I don't see any smooth collie there -- maybe a smidge of hound to go with that Border Collie.

I agree. He looks like dead ringer for a Border Collie / Beagle mix to me - and handsome :rolleyes: I have seen this mix quite a few times and they make very good dogs; energetic and intelligent.

Ryan

Thanks to all for the warm welcome! I'm very glad I found this forum as many of the "weird behaviors" are certainly much less weird after reading how common they are in the BC breed (prime example - ZOOMIES....lol)

With regard to the Smooth Collie mention, it was listed on his intake paperwork from 2 different shelters and echoed by a few other sources. A coworker that has showed both Rough and Smooth Collies for 20+yrs also said that the form of his tricolor pattern, stance, and ears are all reflective of a tricolor smooth. Now I know that all of those are conjecture and truthfully, I'd only consider the coworker feedback as close to "expert opinion," but I'd have to give some credence that shelters make the "best level effort" to accurately describe a dog's breed. Still, I do enjoy trying to figure out the mix.

I'm not sure about the beagle - he's 50+lbs, fairly tall/leggy and long. Most BC/Beagles I've seen have been much smaller. Maybe Foxhound?

This pic of a Welsh Sheepdog is fairly close, but I don't know if many of these are running around Caifornia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welsh_Sheepdog

A coworker that has showed both Rough and Smooth Collies for 20+yrs also said that the form of his tricolor pattern, stance, and ears are all reflective of a tricolor smooth. Now I know that all of those are conjecture and truthfully, I'd only consider the coworker feedback as close to "expert opinion," but I'd have to give some credence that shelters make the "best level effort" to accurately describe a dog's breed. Still, I do enjoy trying to figure out the mix.

I'm not sure about the beagle - he's 50+lbs, fairly tall/leggy and long. Most BC/Beagles I've seen have been much smaller. Maybe Foxhound?

Well, who knows? :rolleyes: But I think his tricolor pattern could just as easily be indicative of border collie. As RDM said, I think most collie mixes end up with the looooong nose. Oh, and I had no idea he was that big from the pics, he looks like a little dude. Anyway, he's cute as can be. Maybe he is bc/hound. Does he howl or bay? Bark a LOT (collie trait!)?