BC Boards

A walk in the park

It has been raining for almost a week now, but yesterday was pretty nice for once. So me and Black Jack went for a walk along the river. It was Sunday so there was a fair amount of people but not to many either. We started our walk on leash for a while. He was doing really good so I thought I would let him off his leash to run. We were walking for about 20 minutes when I saw some people with another dog around the next turn. I decided to keep him off his leash and see how well his "here with me" command was. We walked right by the other dog and he stayed right with me!! I was so happy :rolleyes: He even whined because he wanted to go meet the other dog. She was an Aussie about his size. I would have let him but they were working on her "down/stay" command. But it's great progress! He also held his "sit/stay" while TWO bikes rode by. It was such a good day at the park I had to tell everyone :D I have pictures coming tonight.

Way to goooo, Black Jack and AJ. Gotta love it when all the work starts paying off. Sounds like you guys are quite the team.

BTW, could you send some of that rain down here to little old Tasmania, please? We actually did have a tiny, tiny bit this morning - enough to wet the roads - but that's the first for weeks.

Thanks. We have been working on those commands really hard. He seems to be getting a lot better around other dogs. Which is really nice. It has taken a lot of time and work but it's worth it for sure.

We have gotten over 4 inches of rain so far and it's still raining tonight. I'm about to buy a boat!

Thanks. We have been working on those commands really hard. He seems to be getting a lot better around other dogs. Which is really nice. It has taken a lot of time and work but it's worth it for sure.

We have gotten over 4 inches of rain so far and it's still raining tonight. I'm about to buy a boat!

It really is rewarding when your dog makes progress and you've worked hard to get there. Congrats!

It finally quit raining up here in Montana but the sky is still very overcast. I thought I might have to evacuate since I live next to one of those irrigation canals that are also used for overflow (small stream flooding). I'd love to see the sun again. And have warm dry body parts when I walk the dogs.

Robin

Can I ask how you trained the "here with me" command? Sounds like a useful command to have. Lok will generally be good in a down stay by my side and will come when called, but if he's allowed to get up he generally will want to walk around.

After he had a solid recall I started using the "here by me" command. It's kind of like a heel command, but he can be in front of me instead of by my side. To tell you the truth I really didn't have to teach him much. When he's off leash he always stays in front of me but sometimes he gets to far ahead. So I got a long leash. That way when he would get to far ahead I would pull him back and say "here with me". After about a week he started to come back and walk about three feet in front of me. Now he does it without a leash at all. If there's another dog I say "here with me" and then if he starts to go towards the dog I give him a "leave it" command. I hope that helped. If you have any questions let me know. I can try to explain it better :rolleyes: