BC Boards

My Bc puppy try to herd us sometime

Hello Everyone,

i have a 10 weeks old bc female, she is very smart, she is already housetrained, and knows a lot of stuff.

I am just wondering if anyone have an advice for me, because she try to herd my wife all the time, and she barks at her, and try to bite her feet, she try to herd me sometime, but right away i say sit, and when she sits i praise her, but with my wife, she doesnt listen, any advice on how to stop this, because i don;t want this to become a problem in the future.

thanks a lot

Joe

Hello Everyone,

i have a 10 weeks old bc female, she is very smart, she is already housetrained, and knows a lot of stuff.

I am just wondering if anyone have an advice for me, because she try to herd my wife all the time, and she barks at her, and try to bite her feet, she try to herd me sometime, but right away i say sit, and when she sits i praise her, but with my wife, she doesnt listen, any advice on how to stop this, because i don;t want this to become a problem in the future.

thanks a lot

Joe

Some of it is puppy behavior, but some of it is probably herding instinct. She's biting your wife because she's learned she can. She knows who the weaker of the two of you she can control. We've had this problem almost since day one with our BC--Scooter does things to my husband he'd never even try with me, but my husband refuses to listen. (He's untrainable--Scooter isn't!) :rolleyes: You and your wife have to be on the same page with the discipline and training or your little bundle of fur will gladly take over the Alpha position--actually, not gladly. She'd rather not be in charge, but if you can't or won't, she will. Kind of like the old "It's a lousy job, but someone's gotta do it." A disciplined dog is a happy, secure dog. Good luck!

Hello Everyone,

thanks a lot

Joe

http://k9deb.com/nilif.htm

On the above website you will find some info on the Nothing in Life is Free technique. If your wife is willing to work on it, she can raise her status in your puppy's life and then your puppy is more likely to pay attention to her. Your wife should feed her by hand for awhile also. Dr. McConnell, in one of her books, describes a way to get your puppy to stop chasing and biting at the feet. Throw a small object (like a paperback book) between your dog and your ankles, hard enough to get a startle response. Don't say a word and leave the area for a minute or two or redirect the puppy to an appropriate toy. She says that most dogs catch on after a few sessions. Never had to use this myself but it's worth a try. What I have used is a very strong AAH! AAH! or HEY! when I want Jedi to stop doing something. If he continues...I stop play or if we're not playing he gets a time out in another room with the door closed for a few minutes.

For example, Jedi's gotten into the bad habit of coming and nudging my arm when I'm on the computer. All this because I recently wasn't paying attention when he did that, and absent-mindedly petted him. :rolleyes: So today I made sure I ignored him totally and he just now decided to "kerplunk" himself down with a huff. :D I have found that managing your dog never really stops. I'm human..I screw up.. and my ever vigilant BC takes advantage. :D

Good Luck!

I finally decided it wasn't my problem.

I'm in agreement with Barb. My dh went to every obedience class with me when we adopted JJ with the exception of one (he had surgery). I'm the one who always worked with him during class and did the 'homework' with him. As much as I tried to convince my dh he also had to do some 'homework', it didn't soak in until the day dh tried to get JJ to sit.

That day, everytime dh told JJ to sit, JJ would just look at me. Finally, after about the 4th time, I gave JJ the sit hand signal. When I did, JJ sat with no hesitation. DH got upset stating "He didn't listen to me! He listened to you when you gave him the signal!" I said "Yep, that's right. I keep telling you you need to work with him." After that, he did.

Bottom line......they bond and listen better to the person who takes the time to train them. DH was under the impression I was going to do all the training and he was just going to be able to just give JJ a command and he'll do it. I don't know about other breeds but with our bc's, it doesn't work that way.

If your wife lets it happen, there's not much you can do...my husband feeds our BCs from the table and in the car (McDonald's etc) and I don't. The dogs continually bother him begging for food, but I can eat in peace. I finally decided it wasn't my problem.

Barb S

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

This is a TEN WEEK old TEETHING, MOUTHING PUPPY, right? Exploring the world through its mouth like baby dogs do...

Yes you can start instilling some manners, but remember this is still a baby...and a lot of it will be outgrown.