BC Boards

So, How Big is Your Border Collie

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speedy is about 21 inches at the withers. Last he was weighed he was 43 pounds, but he has gained a few since then.

Dean is about 22 inches at the withers. Last he was weighed he was 45 pounds, but he has lost a few since then.

I really wish I could transfer some of Speedy's middle-age spread to Dean Dog Jumping Bean! Speedy should weigh 43 and Dean should probably weigh about 47 pounds.

JJ stands 22" and weighs 54-55 lbs.

Jake stands 20" and weighs 44-45 lbs.

They have nice tucked in waists and you can feel the ribs on both so I'm comfortable with their weights. JJ has such a thick coat I wouldn't be surprised, if we shaved him, he would lose another 5 lbs though.

First the BC's (heights are as accurate as I could manage, they didn't really want to stand still)

Rain, 14 months, 45 pounds, about 20"-21"

Storm, 14 months, not sure of weight. Probably at least 55 pounds. Was around 50 a few months ago, 22-23"

Humongous pup Flurry, now 6 months was weighed at the vets 2 weeks ago and weighed 47 pounds. The way he's growing and gaining, he's likely over 50 by now. There's no fat though, all that weight is carried in his spectacularly sturdy frame. Thick, thick legs, giant feet, tall and loooonnnggg. 22" and still butt high

The other dogs

Lightning, 3 year old BC/lab - lean, muscled 64 pounds, 24+"

Thunder, 2 year old mixbreed - 62 pounds, 23 1/2"-24"

Flash, 2 year old BC/ACD? - fat little sausage boy who's on a diet. Don't know for sure what he weighs, but it's too much! Should be about 45 pounds. He was under the bed and didn't get measured

Noah, 6 year old rough collie, 92 pounds :rolleyes: He's also on a diet, but he's another really big framed dog. He looks huge because of his coat, it makes him look 2-3x wider than he is, but if I dig through all the hair I can feel his ribs (just, I have to dig a little) He doesn't have typically long collie coat, his is more medium with an insane amount of undercoat and the result is that all his hair seems to stick straight out. It looks like he has no neck, he has a mane instead. He measures at about 27+" when I push his hair down flat. With his hair all sticking up he's closer to 29" so he looks really big.

I like my dogs lean, they are active in several sports and they need to be athletically fit for whatever is in store....

Gunner - 22 1/2" 44lbs

my old girl Sassy, who passed in April was 19 1/2" and never weighed over 33lbs in her 15 year life, very small and very light.

all my other dogs.....

Vandal (borderjack) - 14 1/2" 19lbs

Twiztid (staffy bull) - 15 1/2" 31 lbs (all muscle)

Aries (bc/pitmix) - 24" 54lbs (all muscle)

Lucky (papillon/doxie mix) - 11 1/2" 23lbs (our fatty of the house, she's built like a doxie)

Dice is 45 pounds, shes 21" at the whithers. She is long and lanky.

Cue is 55 and is I believe 23" at the whithers. He is long and lanky too, mostly legs and tail.

Then, Rev and Trick are the same hight, same build (full siblings, year apart) and same weight. They stand, I believe, 20" at the whithers and weight in at 50 pounds. They are solid dogs though, more of a cattle dog build I guess and are just brick walls.

Katelynn

Usher 20 1/2 inches 43 pds- looks skinny, but can't feel his ribs without pressing hard

Bailey 22 inches- hard to measure with all that fat- started out at 66 pds with low thyroid is now down to 48 pds.-Has no ribs- LOL.

Fergie weighs 50 - 52lb and is 22 inches tall - as best as I can figure.

Do you know how hard it is for me (a old 5-foot tall female) to lift this dog and get onto the scale with her? And then read the stupid scale? To get a good reading for my own weight, I have to crouch and use my reading glasses. Can't do that with a dog in my arms. Old ain't easy! But I register for Social Security in less than 3 months!

Anyhow, although we know that Mom was a border collie, we have only reports that Dad was probably a lob. Only Mom knew. And she wasn't talking.

:D Nancy - I'm there with you! I weigh mine on the scales in the vet's waiting room - nice walk on scales that the dogs are quite happy to use - and a digital read out at eye level - very 'old people' friendly :rolleyes:

Both mine are 6.

Fergus 510 mm = 20" usually 18.6 kg = 41 lb

Kirra 490 mm = 19.3" usually 14.6 kg = 32lb

I just weighed both of mine last night, they seem to have lost their winter weight with all of our frisbeeing and play dates at the park!

Roxy- 19" and 31lbs. She is 2 1/2 yrs.

Kipp- 20.5" and 37lbs. He is 1 yr. I'd actually like him to gain 1-2lbs so we've upped his food a bit.

Ouzo is 2.5 years old, 44 lbs (same weight he had when he was 7 months) and 23 inches high.

You can see and compare him next to Roxy and Kipp in the photo gallery. Hint - he's the gigantic one :rolleyes: (I think his head alone weighs 15 lb)