BC Boards

Adolescence

I think we have reached that lovely adolescent phase. It seems that over night Cheza has forgotton all commands or at least is interpreting them quite differently now. Sit = bark and run circles around mom, down = the same as sit, come = grab a toy and run like mad the other direction, well you get the picture. my perfectly behaved angel puppy is now a bratty teenager, and she is only 7 months so I think we have quite a way to go with this. We are starting over with training and are on a strict nilf schedule. She is going to start puppy agility pretty soon so hopefully that will help with the excess energy a bit. She is already getting a lot of physical exercise, but I think we are lacking on the mental so we are working on that.

We went through this with Salem too, but it was either too long ago to remember or he wasn't so bad, lol. She has infused him with puppy naughtiness too. He is almost 4 and I caught him stealing a sock from the hamper yesterday and running off with a naugty look on his face. I couldn't help but laugh.

She is too cute to be angry with her. She is one of the most amusing dogs I have ever had. I woke up this morning to her standing on my chest and staring straight at me, lol. She really is a great dog even if she is a brat.

LOL. That's kinda funny! But I think you have the right idea about starting all over on the obedience and the puppy agility. I think the nilif approach may be hand with this because she won't try to challenge your authortiy, because they do that too you know! :rolleyes: Good luck with the dog standing on you chest to wake you up though!

I've been going through Kaylee's adolescence for the last few months, and it evolves. Sometimes it's the Irish Setter moment: "Oh, duh, I forgot I was in a Down Stay", and sometimes it's the Run Amuck, when she will NOT recall from a playdate and I have to march her down, and sometimes it is outright defiance: "I don't WANNA go to bed!" when she tries to hide at bedtime: this, after 9 months of marching straight into her crate on command.

These are all occasional lapses on the framework of her basic training, and I'm cautiously hopeful that her manners will continue to improve, as I continue to be consistent and firm. She's very sweet for a teenager!

Cheza sounds like she's right on schedule, testing her boundaries and making fun of you!

oh yes I remember those days!!

I don't miss them! lol. just like Kayleegator, some days would be good days...... and other days she'd wear her horns for everyone to see :rolleyes:

My terrier's adolescent stage was very similar to how your Cheza is behaving now: he was a total brat. No word describes his behavior better. He took steps towards becoming neurotic, but obedience classes and lots of little drills and long walks prevented that. My IGs actually didn't change a great deal upon hitting a year old and have come out of it well.

Quynn is different! His adolescent tendencies are more his being an utter clutz, to the point he's the laughing stock of the agility class and is falling down the stairs. He doesn't so much refuse his commands or pretend he's forgotten them but gets sulky if we don't work them the way he thinks they're supposed to be worked. He'll do things like run around an a-frame to get the target on the other side, a very young-dog I-know-what's-best thing to do. And I love the heck out him for it. :rolleyes:

When he and I agree on how something is supposed to be done, however, he's very impressive.

I think we have reached that lovely adolescent phase. It seems that over night Cheza has forgotton all commands or at least is interpreting them quite differently now. Sit = bark and run circles around mom, down = the same as sit, come = grab a toy and run like mad the other direction, well you get the picture. my perfectly behaved angel puppy is now a bratty teenager, and she is only 7 months so I think we have quite a way to go with this. We are starting over with training and are on a strict nilf schedule. She is going to start puppy agility pretty soon so hopefully that will help with the excess energy a bit. She is already getting a lot of physical exercise, but I think we are lacking on the mental so we are working on that.

We went through this with Salem too, but it was either too long ago to remember or he wasn't so bad, lol. She has infused him with puppy naughtiness too. He is almost 4 and I caught him stealing a sock from the hamper yesterday and running off with a naugty look on his face. I couldn't help but laugh.

She is too cute to be angry with her. She is one of the most amusing dogs I have ever had. I woke up this morning to her standing on my chest and staring straight at me, lol. She really is a great dog even if she is a brat.

Yep, it happens just when you think you finally have a handle on it.You most likely have a least another 5 months to put up with.Remember BC's are very smart but also slow to mature.

I'm lucky Cheza at least isn't too destructive, moreso just defiant. Salem on the other hand was very destructive! Cheza so far has taken out the screen door, but that was moreso from zoomies gone wrong.

She is almost all grown up. :rolleyes:

P5170005.jpg