BC Boards

Separation anxiety, and schedules

Well you guys welcomed me so now the questions will begin. LOL

My family consists of myself and my 2 children, and we are all college students and all working different shifts with different days off. We don't even have consistent schedules let alone putting the dogs on one, but with us all going in and out someone is usually in the house. My son works nights so he is asleep when my daughter and I leave in the morning to go to work.

This is the time of the most destruction. I know everyone is going to say it's from boredom, but I really think it has something to do with the fact that I am the one going. Loki is about 1 1/2 years old. He has sooo many toys and chew items that it isn't because he can't find something. If we let him run the house he seeks out personal items to destroy. His favorites are of course, shoes, socks, and used towels. Sometimes he just licks them, other times he destroys them.

I have tried to crate him with all his toys and something with my scent on it, but my son tells me he cries the ENTIRE time I'm at work. So for my son to get any sleep, he lets Loki out, puts up anything that would be tempting and goes back to bed.

I wish I had a video camera because he gets stuff out of closets, off of shelves, everywhere we have tried to put stuff out of reach.

I know that I need him in that crate, but nothing seems to calm him other than my presence. He has actually hurt his nose rubbing against the bars until it bleeds.

Any tricks I can try?

I have tried to crate him with all his toys and something with my scent on it, but my son tells me he cries the ENTIRE time I'm at work. So for my son to get any sleep, he lets Loki out, puts up anything that would be tempting and goes back to bed.

If your son lets him out when he is fussing, Loki will continue to fuss because it works. So if you are going to crate him, crate him in a separate area of the house where your son won't hear him and reinforce the behavior. The worst thing that can happen during crate training is if your son lets him out of the crate sometimes and usually when his behavior is at its worst.

Alternatively, he may fuss less if you crate him in your son's room so he doesn't feel so alone. If he does fuss your son can get up and leave the room (and sleep on the couch!) so Loki doesn't get reinforced for whining. Or he may be less destructive if he is uncrated but shut in your son's room.

It may take several days for any of these ideas to start to show improvement. Make sure you make it perfectly clear to your son that it may be less than ideal for a little while but he absolutely cannot let the dog out while he is whining. It won't be easy but it will be worth it in the long run.

Finally, make sure you give him some good exercise (a run, fetch) before you leave in the morning. Yeah, you do have to get up extra-early but he may be much more willing to settle down until later in the day.

The compulsive licking, then (sometimes) chewing is something that dogs with separation anxiety do frequently. If you want to treat his separation anxiety, the absolutely best explanation is available here. The booklet you want is "I'll be Home Soon" by Patricia McConnell (it's also available on Amazon and other discount sites).

Lisa

If your son lets him out when he is fussing, Loki will continue to fuss because it works. So if you are going to crate him, crate him in a separate area of the house where your son won't hear him and reinforce the behavior. The worst thing that can happen during crate training is if your son lets him out of the crate sometimes and usually when his behavior is at its worst.

Alternatively, he may fuss less if you crate him in your son's room so he doesn't feel so alone. If he does fuss your son can get up and leave the room (and sleep on the couch!) so Loki doesn't get reinforced for whining. Or he may be less destructive if he is uncrated but shut in your son's room.

It may take several days for any of these ideas to start to show improvement. Make sure you make it perfectly clear to your son that it may be less than ideal for a little while but he absolutely cannot let the dog out while he is whining. It won't be easy but it will be worth it in the long run.

Finally, make sure you give him some good exercise (a run, fetch) before you leave in the morning. Yeah, you do have to get up extra-early but he may be much more willing to settle down until later in the day.

The compulsive licking, then (sometimes) chewing is something that dogs with separation anxiety do frequently. If you want to treat his separation anxiety, the absolutely best explanation is available here. The booklet you want is "I'll be Home Soon" by Patricia McConnell (it's also available on Amazon and other discount sites).

Lisa

Thank you for you response. I read the exact opposite though on the separation anxiety in that I should ignore him before I leave so that he isn't looking for me to play more and raising the anxiety. That's what I've been doing, just greeting him and not throwing the ball as before.

My son has come downstairs to sleep on the couch thinking that Loki could see him and it would help...but it doesn't The dog was caged for the entire time before I got him, and is also terrified of the crate. It took me a long time getting into the crate with him to get him in at all. Now, while he goes in, he also pees just a little out of fear. The other dog loves his create and goes there to get away from Loki, but Loki only goes in when I'm leaving...bringing us full circle with the anxiety.

We did all agree that he had to stay in the create, but thats when he started tearing up his nose trying to get out. It was so bad that I was calling him a "cutter." There was only a spot of black left on his nose, the rest was blood red and all the heir on top of his snout and under his jaw was worn off. I just don't think I can "tough love" through this when there are injuries and was hoping for "tricks."

Thank you for you response. I read the exact opposite though on the separation anxiety in that I should ignore him before I leave so that he isn't looking for me to play more and raising the anxiety. That's what I've been doing, just greeting him and not throwing the ball as before.

My son has come downstairs to sleep on the couch thinking that Loki could see him and it would help...but it doesn't The dog was caged for the entire time before I got him, and is also terrified of the crate. It took me a long time getting into the crate with him to get him in at all. Now, while he goes in, he also pees just a little out of fear. The other dog loves his create and goes there to get away from Loki, but Loki only goes in when I'm leaving...bringing us full circle with the anxiety.

We did all agree that he had to stay in the create, but thats when he started tearing up his nose trying to get out. It was so bad that I was calling him a "cutter." There was only a spot of black left on his nose, the rest was blood red and all the heir on top of his snout and under his jaw was worn off. I just don't think I can "tough love" through this when there are injuries and was hoping for "tricks."

If it's that severe, you may want to consult with a vet. behaviorist. I second the McConnell booklet recommendation, but some dogs really do have their wires crossed to the point that they may require medication. Fortunately there are treatments. I hope it's not the case for you and Loki, but probably somehting to check out.

ACK! I posted earlier but it didn't work! Oh well, I'll type a shorter version.

We had to put Poke on meds for the first two weeks to get him accustomed to relaxing in his crate. He hated it and would hurt himself as well. You may want to talk to your vet about some meds just to get him adjusted to being in the crate and calm. Poke still doesn't love his crate, but he always goes in willingly because he knows that he crates while we work period, no if ands or buts. Once your dog calms and just accepts that the crate is a part of his routine you will see a big improvement. Poke didn't even take all the meds we were given.

What does he do un crated in your sons' bedroom? Is he destructive then? How about instead of a crate, get a puppy gate or an x-pen so that it's not so much like the shelter, if he's that fearful of the crate? I do understand that a puppy gate may be a silly idea, but it kept my dog in the hallway until she was trust worthy on her own. Surprisingly, I saw her both jump it and knock it down, out of shear excitement, but she stayed behind it no problemo all day long!

Oh, I have heard of people using Bach's Rescue Remedy on their dogs to calm them...I've never tried it, but my bf's mom uses it when she has to fly! :rolleyes:

I will give you a third on the Patricia O'Connell book!

I agree with the baby gate. Can you block off an area somewhere in the house and put his crate in there too? That way, he might get used to the crate on his own, able to go in and out on his terms so he doesn't feel like he's being locked up.

Try not to make a fuss when you leave or when you return. I know it's hard--but it works. Sometimes just the tone of voice we use when we leave can make them anxious, especially if you're feeling bad about leaving him, or worried about what kind of trouble he's going to get into while you're gone.

Hope this helps! :rolleyes:

You do want to be lowkey before you leave but I still think that some good exercise in the morning will help him settle when its time for you to go. So you get up and take him out first for exercise then come back in and he gets to unwind while you are showering, eating breakfast, etc before you head out the door. Check out Patricia McConnell's pamphlet and consult your vet who may recommend anti-anxiety medication.

The other dog loves his create and goes there to get away from Loki, but Loki only goes in when I'm leaving...bringing us full circle with the anxiety.

If you are going to crate him, you need to get in the habit of having him crate up frequently when you are not going to leave him so he doesn't make that association. You need to separate crate training and leaving him along until he has formed a positive association with his crate. (The pamphlet explains all of these scenarios in detail.) If not, find another way to confine him that doesn't involve the crate - as other posters have suggested.

I just don't think I can "tough love" through this when there are injuries and was hoping for "tricks."

Unfortunately, true separation anxiety doesn't respond to 'tricks'. Some dogs respond better to being crated versus uncrated, having their crate covered versus uncovered or having something like a stuffed Kong to chew on as you go out the door. The only real way to fix it is to change their response to through behavioral modification which McConnell covers in far better detail than any of us could here.

Good luck,

Lisa