BC Boards

Resuming activities after spaying?

Deuce and I just finished our good manners class and was looking forward to starting a pre agility class with her the beginning of June...however I have Deuce scheduled to be spayed the same exact day the class starts. I know I'd have to miss that class...but how soon after spaying can she resume activities? I've never had a female spayed and I'm not sure it would be worth starting a 6 week course and then have to miss half of it. Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help! Lisa and Deuce afd98eb2.jpg

Originally posted by Dixie_Girl:

No answer to your question. Just wanted to say I love the "puppy splay"! She is too cute in that pic!

Thanks! It's her attention getting pose! She also has a little squeak that goes along with it to announce the pose!

In our classes the beginner agility is all on leash and very "low impact" for the first few weeks. I would guess that your vet will want her to have reduced activity and leash walking for 5-10 days after spaying. So, I guess what I'm saying is I'd check with the instructor and also with the vet to make a final determination.

Originally posted by laurie etc:

In our classes the beginner agility is all on leash and very "low impact" for the first few weeks. I would guess that your vet will want her to have reduced activity and leash walking for 5-10 days after spaying. So, I guess what I'm saying is I'd check with the instructor and also with the vet to make a final determination.

I do plan on checking with the instructor and the Vet tomorrow...just wanted to get everyone's input as I've had males for the last 25 years and the only dog I've taken to an agility class was my Cattle Dog...and he went directly into a regular agility class....so I'm not sure what a pre-agility class includes...the class description reads "This is a hands-on and "paws-on" introduction to the sport of Dog Agility for dogs and their people. Whether you are a competitor or looking for a great time with your dog, this is a fun class! It will build your dog's confidence and socialization." which really doesn't give me an idea of how much of an activity level will be needed....

HI I had to post, your girl looks so much like mine. I love black and white with Freckles.

5e30e21b.jpg

Roxie was Spayed on Tuesday May 23, she was trying to be up and running 2 days later. I am holding her back, but she is ready to go.

We walked an agility course today, and went for a wal on a leash because I figured that it was better than her running laps around the hosue or yard. They said to keep her as calm as we could for 10 days, my guess is anywhere from 7 to 10 days wopuld be what you would sit out.

I always had males before as well.

The incision is generally at its weakest point form 3 to 5 days post-op. After that, it strengthens progressively. Of course you should check with your vet about it, but for most young dogs with uncomplicated spays, a week afterwards would be probably be okay for light to moderate "classwork". IMPORTANT NOTE: This in NO way must be used to substitute for your vet's advice; just general info on wound healing and OHE recovery. Every animal is different.

Pre-Agility.

That SHOULD be mostly foundation stuff right? Not much equipment? Only thing is, a lot of the foundation stuff is building drive (not that a BC needs it! :rolleyes: ) and getting them to run with you and so on. That said you DO NOT want Deuce to think that running with you and doing Agility is at all painful, and you don't want to hold her back either.

I would wait at least 2 classes. You could ask the instuctor what the class will be doing those weeks so you can catch up later. Or you could just catch up with your "first" class.

I've been in classes with folks who brought their female dogs back about a week after spaying. In those cases, the instructors took the bars off the jumps for those dogs and had them take it easy.

Tess was spayed on a Tuesday, obedience class was Saturday. We went because it was all just sit/stay, walk on leash, etc. The thing to watch out for was the other dogs and the playtime. They were very nice and set up an x-pen for Tess to be in while the other dogs were playing. Tess doesn't and didn't play with other dogs (except Kipp, now), but this kept her from being hassled and possibly jumped on.

And on the freckled dog note, here is my Kipp, who has that black/white/ticking thing going on too:

HandsomeDude.jpg

Allie + Tess & Kipp

http://weebordercollie.com

That's a cool picture. It's so cute too. lol. God Bless

My two were fixed on the 23rd too. My vet told me 7 days on Popcorn, (the male)but a godawful long 14 days on Pepper(the female)with NO full out running or jumping. Man it is going soooo slow.....lol.

We do plenty of on leash walks but she is just dying to run and wrestle again with Popcron...

PS

That's my fav BC colour too!

Well I spoke to the vet this morning...she said that Deuce should take it easy (no stretching her tummy) until the sutures come out in 8-10 days. But said it would be ok to take her and just not let her do anything that might stretch her too much. She's was such a good girl in her obedience class...no jumping or getting excited so just going to the agility class won't make her go nuts. So it looks like I'll start her the week after her surgery so I'll just miss one class. I still want to talk to the trainer of the class but she won't be back from vacation until tomorrow. I may go to the first class just so I know what we missed anyway though.

Thanks so much for all your help!

Holly...your pup "Roxie" is sooo adorable! Sounds like she must be about Deuces age too! (Deuce will be 6 months June 4th)

Allie....your "Kip" is sure one handsome boy!