BC Boards

Kent Kuykendall

I thought this might be the place to post this: I'm looking for information on Kent Kuykendall and his Border collies, but it seems the website is down and I'm not having much luck otherwise. Does anyone here know exactly who he is, whether he's breeding dogs, when organization he runs for/under, etc.? I won't be looking for a puppy for years, but for several other reasons I'm wondering if I could learn more about him and his dogs. If anyone has a pup of his or can tell me anything, it would be appreciated. Thanks for your time!

No, I know you're right, in that I should know more than I do. :rolleyes: I just not be running the right searches after I discovered his site was down.

Kent and Gwen don't keep their website updated but they're still there in Franklinville NC. They don't trial any more but have dogs and do goose work these days. I know their old dogs pretty well, as do some of the others here. Lots and lots of Kuykendall dogs around. Henry (Kent's father) is still in the dogs as well and has a website you could look at.

I thought this might be the place to post this: I'm looking for information on Kent Kuykendall and his Border collies, but it seems the website is down and I'm not having much luck otherwise. Does anyone here know exactly who he is, whether he's breeding dogs, when organization he runs for/under, etc.?

Kent is a longtime top breeder, trainer and handler of border collies who lives in Franklinville, NC. He's a former director of the USBCHA and trialed extensively in USBCHA trials, both sheepdog and cattledog, for many years. He is not actively trialing now, but may return to it at some point. He farms, runs a goose control business and is still breeding dogs. He's had many good dogs, but his best was Bill, who was Purina Herding Dog of the Year in 1995 and Reserve Champion at the National Finals in 1999. He and his dog Dehl won the National Nursery Finals in 2000. I don't believe he's giving lessons now, which is too bad because he is an excellent teacher. He does have a very good whistle CD on the market, as well as a compendium of his training articles first published in The Working Border Collie.

Is that the sort of thing you were wanting to know?

Thank you for your replies! You've provided me with the info I was looking for. I'll certainly do another google search and see what articles, etc. I can pull up. :rolleyes:

He also used to write a lot of great articles in, um, I think it was Working Border Collie mag. You should be able to get back issues with those, by digging around.

There's a lot of people who have dropped out, passed away, or greatly reduced their involvement, from being at the top ten years ago or so, so don't feel bad that you had to ask. There no such thing as a stupid question here! I'd have to do the same these days about new faces on the block, so I hope no one has a problem with my saying, "Where can I find information about, or how to contact so-and-so?"