BC Boards

Don't you want one?

I was on one of the puppymill advertising sites and saw some pups advertised in Florida. They were prices like this:

Blue merle female with perfect markings: $1500

Split-faced tri female with one blue eye: $1500

Red & white male with perfect markings: $1200

Red merle female with perfect markings: $1200

Black & white split-faced female: $1200

Red & white female with not-so-perfect collar: $1000

Black & white male with perfect markings: $1000

(The black and white pups from the other litter are only $600, with the choice female being $1000.)

It's scary to me that people see these ads, consider them to be on the up and up, and buy from people like this.

And here's the description:

The Sire of this litter has Pure Imp. Bloodlines

and some champions on his pedigree.He wears the

classic black and white rough coat, has a very

sweet temperament and is always ready to get the

job done. The Dam is Red Merle rough coat with

beautiful body markings and comes from American

Working Bloodlines.She is very smart and active as

well. Both of the parents are hips and eye cheked

and have been preven to be very healty dogs. The

pups will be de-wormed and with their current

vaccinations at the time of pick up or shipping.

They will have a lot of potential and will be

great as workers,at agility contests or as that

loyal friend that will be always ready and up for

the challenges. I got no doubt that this Pups will

make a beautiful and unforgettable gift for a

family, couple,children,friend or just anybody

that loves Border Collies. We are currently

taking reservations for the pups.The reservation

is only $200 and that will asure you your pup of

choice from the newborns. For any more info feel

free to e-mail or to reserve any of this champions

please give us a call. Thanks for looking and have

a great day !

We been breeding Border Collies with passion and commitment to this extremely

smart and hard working dogs for the last 11yrs.Our couples are carefully choose

to get the perfect pet that you allways wanted!DON'T JUST SETTLE FOR A DOG,GET A

BORDER COLLIE!

Here's another description on another litter:

2 Males and 3 Females left. The pups were born

01/01/08. The Sire of the litter has Pure

Imp.Bloodlines and some champions on his

pedigree.He wears the classic black and white

rough coat, has a very sweet temperament and

is always ready to get the jod done. The Dam wears

the back and white rough coat as well and comes

from American Working Bloodlines.She won

the Obidience Championship of the State of

Missouri 3 years in a raw and always has great

disposition to learn,work and anything else. Both

of the parents are hips and eye cheked and have

been preven to be very healty dogs. The pups will

be de-wormed and with their current shots at the

time of shipping or pick up. They will have a lot

of potential as workers, in any sports or as that

loyal friend that will be always ready and up

for the challenge. We got no doubt that this Pups

will make a beautiful and unforgettable gift for

any family, couple, children, friend or

just anybody that loves Border Collies. We are

currently taking reservations for the pups. The

reservation is only 10% of the sale price and

will assure you your pup of choice from the

expected little champions. For any more info

please feel free to give us a call or send us an

email and we will be glad to help. Thanks for

looking and have a great day !

"I got no doubt that this Pups will

make a beautiful and unforgettable gift for a

family, couple,children,friend or just anybody

that loves Border Collies."

Not only bad grammar, but buying a dog for a "gift" has got to be one of the stupidest things in the world. "Happy Birthday, here's a border collie".?

Oh, and what are "perfect markings"? Because personally, I rarely see what would be classified as perfect markings and I like the dogs who aren't perfect better anyway, they have more character!! Man those ads make me mad!

That is sad. I feel bad for the poor pups that are born into that, and the poor dogs that have so many puppies too. Although I see a lot in that write up that sets off a lot of bells. Not only bad grammar but also how they talk about them. I doubt they even know what the parents are like. Anyone that puts "We been breeding" in their description can't be a very good choice to go with getting a pup. I mean, if your going to take the time to have the puppies and post them on the internet, at least re read your description post.

$1500? Some people have too much money, and too few brain cells.

I've had a number of dogs in my life, none of whom ever cost me a cent to buy. Mostly they wander in after being dumped by their previous owners (the ones who paid $1500, you suppose?), wag their tails, and say "Hi, I'm your dog now." They've all been damned good dogs, too.

:D

The reservation

is only $200 and that will asure you your pup of

choice from the newborns.

What if two or more people want the same *Pups*?!?! I know, dumb question. I was also wondering what their criteria for "perfect markings" are because EVERYBODY'S idea of whats perfect is varied.

Those ads just make me want to go out and get myself another Border Collie......not!!!! :rolleyes:

Oh, and what are "perfect markings"?
Indeed. There are no "perfect markings" for BCs, as best I can tell. Or did ABCA fail to mention that at some point..? Not likely.

I could give a rat's butt about markings. No, there're only the real questions - Is it healthy? Does it do as a BC does? Do the dog and I get along together?

Perfect markings? All BC markings are perfect. God takes his palette of colors, shakes it into the wind, and it lands where it lands. It took the AKC to limit markings. (White cannot be the predominant color.)

I would love to bring all those dogs to my house so they can know love.

Esox

I really need to stop surfing around. There is a whole host of really bad information out there. On another "breeder" site that I found through the puppymill advertising site ... there is an "imported" litter ... with all the right key words ... "out of trial dogs" ... OFA, CEA, DNA, TNS, blah blah blah ... Front page of her site says:

Health testing matters to breeders who care about the pups they produce.

and then this:

I have recently been made aware of a Border Collie breeder site that shows an article regarding OFA hip testing of

Catahoula's. The article is not about Border Collies but an entirely different breed all together. The article says

breeding only dogs who can pass the hip x-rays will limit the gene pool of the Catahoula. The Border Collie site this

article is on is naturally a site where the breeder doesn't do any health testing at all.

The problem is the gene pool for registered Catahoula's is very much more limited than the gene pool for Border

Collies. With Border Collies out gene pool is much larger and we have to option of importing new lines from other

countries or from other registries too. By not breeding Border Collies with bad hips we would NOT be limiting the

gene pool at all!

The article listed on the Border Collie breeders site is just an excuse for why they are NOT doing the right thing and

breeding only dogs who can pass hip testing. Breeders should want to breed only healthy dogs who can pass basic

health tests. If a person is willing to take a pup from a Border Collie breeder who breeds dogs who can't pass or are

not OFA'd then that puppy buyer is promoting bad breeding practices. Bad hips can cause horrible pain in some

dogs and it can require multiple surgeries to ease the pain associated with the HD. There is NO reason to breed a

dog with bad hips or a dog who has not been hip scored. Breeding dogs who are not tested is just a way for

backyard breeders to sell puppies without spending the money for OFA's or to sell puppies out of unsound dogs.

A breeder can't really guarantee hips if they are not testing the parents.

Unfortunately, breeders can -- and do -- guarantee anything they want. The unsuspecting buyers are the ones who get burned, and the puppies are the ones who pay. Testing hips doesn't guarantee a thing. Sure, it increases your odds, but it still guarantees nothing.

The very sad part of this ... this breeder does not work her dogs on livestock ... at all. This is a case where test results are the be-all, end-all, and working ability just falls by the wayside. I hesitate to even call her a conformation breeder, as she hasn't done much, if any, of that either, but will talk all day long about it.

So. Very. Sad.