BC Boards

Our little dog, a min-pin mix, died in a horrible accident this weekend. We do plan to get another dog, but we're having trouble deciding just what.

Here's Jocko, our Border Collie.

post-3583-1211254864_thumb.jpg

We love Jocko, who's the sweetest, best-natured dog I've ever met. It is not possible to make him angry, or (within the range of normal, civilized human behavior) to provoke him. He's gentle with kids--even infants--and very happy all the time. He's also a rescued stray, so we wonder if there's a form of doggie gratitude in play. If this is typical Border Collie temperament, we'd instantly have another BC to replace our little dog.

But would two BCs be unmanageable? Jocko does have an insatiable drive to play, and is always goofing around. We've been wondering if a calmer breed might be desirable. Other breeds we're thinking about are Corgis, various Spaniels and Beagles.

We do not have kids at present, but are planning to start a family in the next couple of years. We have a nice half-acre yard in town.

Thanks!

Dogs_Christmas_2006.bmp

Two BC's are definitely not unmanageable! I have three, and there are a handful of members on board who have many more than that! LOL

However, not all BC's are good with children. Personally, I would rescue a BC if I were in your situation. If you choose that direction, go with a rescue who takes the time to get to know each dog individually in foster care and that is where you would find your best match. :rolleyes:

Jocko is a very nice looking BC!

I am sorry for you loss.

I would say that most BC's have those traits. Smart, high working drive, loving, and all around happy. (in that order). My BC, a 2 year old rescued BC is happy laying on the floor for a few hours until we go out to play or do some agility runs. He gets really upset if we don't get our daily playing and working in. But if kept busy they do great. Sometimes another BC will even help them play when you can't. I would say that if you can set aside time for your dog now, another one and some kids later on I would go for it. I have seen to many dogs come into the shelter because the kids took to much time so they had to surrender one of their dogs. Something to think about though.

Also, welcome to the boards.

I agree with Aquarius--if you want the best chance of finding a second border collie that is good with kids and a good match for your lifestyle go through a rescue that evaluates the dogs thoroughly. It may take a while to find the perfect dog (and companion for Jocko), but if you perservere, you'll probably find a great match for your family.

Many border collies are happy and easy to get along with, but not all are, and since you have the added caveat of wanting a dog who will get along with Jocko and one that will be safe with children once you start a family, an adolescent from rescue is your best bet. Foster homes usually not only evaluate a dog's suitability with various things like children, cats, etc., but also get to know the dogs well enough to be able to predict fairly well how the dog will behave in a particular home situation (not to mention that they often get the dogs started with obedience or other activities/sports, have housebroken them and taught them manners). Two is more work than one (although you've already had two dogs so you're used to the basic extra costs, time, etc.), and you can't count on them to entertain each other, since border collies really want to interact with their humans, but adding a second border collie, especially one whose personality is well known, ought to be relatively painless for you.

I'm sorry that you lost your min pin to an accident, and I hope you an find a companion who will fill the hole he left.

J. (I have nine, well, 10 at the moment)

Terribly sorry for your loss. :rolleyes:

I don't really have much to add since I only have one right now. But I will be going the rescue route for number 2 once we buy a house. As Julie said an adolescent from a rescue woud almost be perfect because you would know what you are getting and a good rescue would ensure a good match for you, your dog and any future children.

I don't really know much about corgis, but spaniels have been know for short tempers and quick to bite and beagles (bless them) are freaking adorable, but constantly bay if not getting enough attention, activity or are left outside alone. Not saying that would be the case, but they are LOUD and with babies on the horizion, may not be the perfect choice. But that's my opinion, take it for what it is.

j

Wow, rereading my post I left out a LOT :rolleyes: I guess I was more out of it than I thought. I would listen to what they said!

Thanks for all the information and kind words.

I do think an adolescent (6 months to about 2 years old?) border collie would probably be the best bet. I'm really not too eager to put up with the piddles and poops that puppies bring, and getting a dog with a known temperament would be a huge plus.

Jocko was about 6-9 months old when I adopted him. He had a little time getting housebroken, but not chewing things took a little longer. Then, the chewing stopped! I guess he outgrew it as suddenly as it started.

Can anyone tell me whether another male would be a good idea, or should we get Jocko a sister?

Thanks again.

Our little dog, a min-pin mix, died in a horrible accident this weekend. We do plan to get another dog, but we're having trouble deciding just what.

Here's Jocko, our Border Collie.

post-3583-1211254864_thumb.jpg

We love Jocko, who's the sweetest, best-natured dog I've ever met. It is not possible to make him angry, or (within the range of normal, civilized human behavior) to provoke him. He's gentle with kids--even infants--and very happy all the time. He's also a rescued stray, so we wonder if there's a form of doggie gratitude in play. If this is typical Border Collie temperament, we'd instantly have another BC to replace our little dog.

But would two BCs be unmanageable? Jocko does have an insatiable drive to play, and is always goofing around. We've been wondering if a calmer breed might be desirable. Other breeds we're thinking about are Corgis, various Spaniels and Beagles.

We do not have kids at present, but are planning to start a family in the next couple of years. We have a nice half-acre yard in town.

Thanks!

I'm so sorry about your Min-Pin....It's so hard to lose one of our friends=(

I have 3 BC's and 2 of them adore children. I don't find it unmanageable at all having more than one, but I'm a pretty active person. Matter of fact, I can't imagine only having just one anymore=)

Janet

So sorry for your loss. My dogs are both high drive BCs and having two of them is actually "easier," than having one. They play together, work together to foil the plots of people (ie... hiding toys in places one dog cannot get to, but two dogs can), they even help keep each other in line. If Ceana goes to the window to bark at something, Poke will go and correct her. They learn tricks from each other, and have both improved on socialization because they have the other dog in their corner.

While the odds are your dog will get along with the other sex best, don't shun meeting another boy that could potentially be your pup's best bud. Ceana actually got along with another dominate snarky female better than any other dog.... but that girl was not up for adoption. :rolleyes: Poke was the best fit for Ceana because he wasn't intimidated by her in the slightest, as opposed to another poor sweet boy who wouldn't even walk near our little scary girl. I guess what I am trying to say is go through a rescue and do not limit yourself to how many dogs you meet. You'll know your pup when you see them. I knew Poke was ment to be in our family the first time we met. Despite that feeling we still met other dogs and waited to decide.

Hi,

Not much to add to what has already been said. I might be stating the obvious here but just in case... make sure that you bring your dog along with you to meet the prospective rescued-to-be BC. I was lucky – my first BC and the BC that I eventually did rescue got along together quite well at their first and second meetings. It has made the adaptation so much easier for all of us - they do play together when we're plum tuckered out!

John