BC Boards

Bilateral FHO

Olivia

Hello,

It looks like we are at the end of buying time for Carlie's hips. They are no longer able to be managed medically. The pain meds aren't doing anything and they are really starting to affect her quality of life. We x-rayed her today to see how bad they have gotten and they look bad. We have a consultation with a board certified orthopedic surgeon June 9th to see if we should do an FHO on one hip, allow her to recover, then do the other or do both at the same time. Has anyone had any experience with bilateral FHOs vs. unilateral?

Thanks,

Olivia

Has anyone had any experience with bilateral FHOs vs. unilateral?

Right around the time I was splitting up with my husband, his BC dislocated one of her hips (she had severe HD), and he had the FHO done on that one hip. I saw her a few months later, and she looked great! He said the surgery was a huge success and that he was having the other hip done. This is the only experience with FHO I've got, and I don't know anyone whose done both at the same time, but I'd be interested to hear about it if anyone has done it that way.

Hope this helps.

Jodi