BC Boards

Is your dog a nerd?

Usher must have had his pocket protector removed before he was 2 days old. This week-end it was pretty hot and Saturday was race car day. My BF drives at the local speedway and the dogs stay home. Well, this one was a long one and his class was the last to race, so we got home late. Then Sunday after some tennis ball fetching at the park, we went to the fairgrounds for an outside "worlds largest garage sale" again, too hot to take the dogs.

Sunday evening my son is on a local AM radio show and I couldn't find my radio, so I thought I'd listen to it in the car. Usher jumps in. Well, it was pretty warm in the garage and I told him to get out. NO WAY. Usually, this would upset me, him being so disobedient, but I understood he just thought I was leaving without him. I told Tommy I couldn't get Usher out of the car and he said "Yes, you can". Well, I said nope. He had to pick him up and Usher was stiff as a board, looking like a coffee table and wouldn't move an inch to help get out of the car. It cracked us both up and Usher didn't get into any trouble because it was a cheap laugh.

Today, he got his car ride to the grocery store to drop my Mother off to shop. He was thrilled and yes, he got out of the car when told- LOL.

Now, is YOUR dog a nerd?

Awww, poor Usher just felt left out :rolleyes: Mine does that too. When I go to work or have to go somewhere that he can't come, he knows it. As soon as I say "Sorry buddy" he falls over and won't get up unless I let him come. But he sure loves coming when he gets the chance though.

LOL. Ceana will follow you around when you are getting ready to see if you will say "Ceana gets to come." If you utter those words you get the zoomies followed by a 32lb dog sitting at the door with a leash doing her best impression of a toddler that is whining and has to pee.

If you do not say those words or you say "not this time Ceana," she slumps over to her crate and gives you sad eyes and snarls.

Poke just sits on the couch and tries to look like the cutest dog in the world. He thinks if he can look uber cute we couldn't possibly go any where without him.

Zak used to do something similar when trying to get him into his crate. I had to shut the bedroom door to prevent escape and I learned that one real fast. He then proceeded to jump on the bed and roll over with legs straight up in the air. I dont mean on his side - I mean completely square on his back. You could tug on his collar, talk deep and serious or offer a treat - nothing worked. So I just started sliding him over to me by his collar, picking him up like a baby and kneeling down to put him in his crate.

He eventually learned it was a lot easier to just go in when told. He zips right in there now without a word and just opening the door. He always gets a good boy, hug and a kiss for it too.

I've read your post twice and don't get it...is a nerd a dog who doesn't obey? My nephew has a white shepherd; when I tried to get in the car, Bolt was in the front seat; I told him get in the back and he did. My nephew said my sister always rode in the back because Bolt wouldn't move out of the front for her. Does that make Bolt a nerd? Or not a nerd because he listened to me. Maybe my sister's the nerd?

Barb S

LOL- I think that makes your sister the nerd. Usher is the first male BC I've had as a pup. My other male was a rescue I got at 3 years old and was so wonderful. Usher has taken a loooooong time to mature. My females were much easier to train. Maybe the word should be goofy. At the doggy bar, he waits for people he knows to come in and takes them to their seats where they always sit. If he doesn't know them, he just greats them and comes and lays at my feet. I have never seen a dog stiffen up like that. It could be from his training on helping me when I start to lose my balance. Plus, he is so goofy when he plays fetch, not to co-ordinated. He does somersaults while going for the ball. I just love him, even if he is a nerd.

If clown equates to nerd than Lewie is one. :rolleyes:

I usually put him to bed (his crate in my bedroom) around 8:30 to give myself some down time.

Last night I was sitting at the computer, which is in the bedroom next to mine. I started hearing a very low rumble. Puzzling. I listened harder and realized it was Lewie growling. I got up and peeked around the corner to see what he was growling at. His head and shoulders were reclined up against the back of the crate very nonchalantly and he was "talking" to his tail, which would do a little "flip"...."flip"..."flip".

What a nerd! :D:D

Kipp is a goof. He is the one who'll give me the "why?" expression, he is the one who'll press the boundaries. And it's so funny - it'll be like correcting a little kid whose antics you really want to laugh at but can't because you've got to tell them "no".

I got my spinning wheel out for the first time in 2 years the other day and Kipp decided that my ready to spin wool was the greatest toy there was. His whole attitude was WOW! I took some away from him and he was quivering in anticipation to get it back. He kept trying to figure out how to get a hold of the stuff.

Missy is good and trustworthy, but Kipp sure makes me laugh!

When we first got Senneca, she would position herself in front of the door to the garage to make absolutely sure that I didn't sneak out without her. She hated it when I went to the office and left her behind. Then, for a period, she would dash through the door int the garage at any opportunity and if she managed to get into the car, she would sit expectantly in the passenger seat, waiting for me to drive her somewhere. Getting her out was a major pain -- yes, she'd brace herself and freeze up. I learned that the easiest way to get her out is to lift up her front paws and gently pull her out. She's powerless to resist; and she knows it.

Yes, the car, the spinning wheel and especially talking to the tail are perfect examples of nerd behavior- LOL. Usher also likes to catch raindrops with his tongue. Bailey drools at drive-thru windows expecting a cookie. She knows the difference between a bank and a burger joint, where she doesn't get a cookie. Funny stories!!!

If clown equates to nerd than Lewie is one. :rolleyes:

I usually put him to bed (his crate in my bedroom) around 8:30 to give myself some down time.

Last night I was sitting at the computer, which is in the bedroom next to mine. I started hearing a very low rumble. Puzzling. I listened harder and realized it was Lewie growling. I got up and peeked around the corner to see what he was growling at. His head and shoulders were reclined up against the back of the crate very nonchalantly and he was "talking" to his tail, which would do a little "flip"...."flip"..."flip".

What a nerd! :D:D

Growling at his own tail? Priceless! That is so something Liberty would do!!!

Yes, the car, the spinning wheel and especially talking to the tail are perfect examples of nerd behavior- LOL. Usher also likes to catch raindrops with his tongue. Bailey drools at drive-thru windows expecting a cookie. She knows the difference between a bank and a burger joint, where she doesn't get a cookie. Funny stories!!!

Our local Dairy Queen gives out Milkbones, (as does the bank) so every time we go to ANY drive through, SOMEBODY expects a doggie cookie!