BC Boards

Who's taken obedience classes at PetsMart?

I haven't taken them, but I have watched on the sidelines a few times. The classes are only as good as the trainer the store has. Some may be great, some I'd run from, and plenty inbetween. It all depends on what Petsmart you go to.

If you know what you're doing, I think it can be a good way to socialize your pup, and train her with distractions with most any trainer.

I agree that any class is only as good as the instructor. And I agree that if you know what you're doing, it should be a good experience.

My Pet Smart story: When ours first opened a gazillion years ago, two of my students went separately to apply for the obedience instructor position. Both students were excellent trainers and had multiple obedience titles on multiple dogs. Both students were told separately that PetSmart was not interested in hiring anyone with any previous dog training experience. They have a "book" that the instructor follows and they prefer to hire people with no dog training experience. And that is just what they did...they hired a person who had never trained a dog before in her life! And the classes sucked. Go figure. :rolleyes:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The local Petsmart in my town is run by my former assistant manager/boss. I bring Belle in to buy the higher quality canned dog food my and her former employer doesn't carry. I've been in the store while dog classes were in session, and while I don't know if the trainers are top notch, I decided I don't really want to do anything in a "retail" setting if I don't have to. Too many spectators and distractions IMO.

Belle and I will be starting obedience class next week at a large dog kennel, training, grooming, event holding venue just east of town. While they cater to a lot of the ack!, AKC breed sponsered events (agility, herding, obedience, etc.), there were lots of border collie and aussie folks with their dogs at the events I attended as a spectator.

I did - made a great friend, she now teaches for the HS. Guess she was better than PetSmart. She boarded Usher when he was sick. Anyone I recommend gets 20% off. If I help, they get 40% off. Not too bad. She's a good friend, a clicker trainer, positive trainer. NOT ALL Petsmart people are stupid. I suggest watching a class and finding out about the trainer. Some good- some not so good.

We had a great trainer with Ceana and Poke. We were mostly there for socialization. The first day every one kept telling me Poke didn't need training because he could do all of his commands, then someone ran by and they saw my movement sensative dog flip! No one ever said he shouldn't be in class again after that. It helped him tremendously to learn to focus on me while all of the distractions were around us. It improved our bond as well. Poke ALWAYS listens to me now. Ceana was in the second class with us, and while she did well also I will never have them both in the same class again. They were always interested in each other more than the other dogs. I think it took away from interactions.

The best part of our class was that we had a 4 month foster puppy that was aloud to come to class for free. The trainers in training practiced with her while the rest of us did our thing. Twist passed the intermediate class at 5 months with a decent recall, heel on both sides, sit, stand, down, leave it etc...

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I'm curious how it turned out in the end.

I was thinking of enrolling my 11 yr old daughter with our 5.5 month old Aussie. Rusty is a very food oriented, enthusiastic puppy - also VERY good around other dogs. Faith is a very smart but rather unfocused girl who loves dogs but doesn't always know how to express the love. There aren't many training places within 30 miles of here...it seems like it might be a good experience for them, even if a lot of dog training doesn't take place.

Thoughts?

We have our 9 yr old comming to basic puppy at PetSmart. The trainer takes time to show her how to "handle" Jake. Loads of treats, gets her to put Jake into a cradle position, how to stop him from jumping and nipping at her when her enthusiasm and his excitement mix. For 2 weeks now, I haven't heard. "MOM! Jake nipped my....... However, we still deal with Jake listening to me more so then her. :rolleyes: But, I believe it's working well for both of them. Kids and dogs! I love it!

• 1 month later...

Moreton Bay Council in Qld is holding Petsmart programs designed around the family dog. First Sunday of every month at different off-leash parks.

The program wll run between 9am-11am at the following locations:

March 1 HT Ireland Reserve, Saraband Drive, Eatons Hill.

June 7 Olakuna Crescent, Ferny Hills.

September 6 Nicol Way, Strathpine

October 4 Windlass Park, Deception Bay

November 1, Bunya Rd, Bunya

I use the pet smart trainer for classes. However I had to go to several to find a trainer I liked. My preference is for an instructor that uses their own methods of training since I don't agree with the way Pet Smart corporate wants it done. I had a big argument with 2 Pet Smart instructors over the use of clickers and a collar I didn't approve of. They insisted on clickers and would not make an exception. They also didn't know jack about BCs. I told them I didn't want clicker training and Jin would learn whistles when the time was right.I wold up at a pet smart across the valley with Bonnie who siad she didn't use clickers at all.

In my opinion for beginning classes, the mark of a good instructor will provide training, manners, and problem resolution recommendations, as well as manage a group of "inexperienced" dogs and handlers in a class setting.

The other challenge I can see with the store setting is limited space and other shoppers. Some of the stores seem to have the classes in the center separated by a low fabric screen. Others, which I think is a safer arrangement, have a separate area to the side of the store with a clear glass wall.

Class participants can focus on their dog and not worry about distractions from other dogs, kids or people, shopping in the store.

Good Luck.

mobcmom

I was thinking of enrolling my 11 yr old daughter with our 5.5 month old Aussie. Rusty is a very food oriented, enthusiastic puppy - also VERY good around other dogs. Faith is a very smart but rather unfocused girl who loves dogs but doesn't always know how to express the love. There aren't many training places within 30 miles of here...it seems like it might be a good experience for them, even if a lot of dog training doesn't take place.

Thoughts?

As others have said, as long as you get a look at one of the classes and like what you see- go for it! It'd be a good experience for the both of them.

We took the puppy class a few months after Diocese came home, and to be honest, it was only really worthwhile for socializing and desensitizing to some distractions. But that was because we'd already covered all the basics at home before I ever brought him. I actually think the most interesting thing about the class was watching the other 3 people who had never even heard of clicker training before.

"I actually think the most interesting thing about the class was watching the other 3 people who had never even heard of clicker training before" -Caerus

I'd have to agree with Caerus. I was even asked, "Does it really work?", as Jude was already familar with the clicker.

When I got Jude at about 1.5years old last summer I enrolled in the Intermediate class for socialization and bonding(attended a few begining classes to show we could handle more). We did have a good trainer. I am amazed that so many people get dogs and know close to nothing about dogs and don't even think about learning about them. Yet they would fully research a car before buying it.

desertranger, what don't you like about clicker training? What whistle commands do you teach your dogs?

There are a lot of reasons. For a start too many dogs are now trained to a clicker and when another dog hears it there you could have someone else's dog listening to you. The dogs also listen for the clicker and all clickers sound the same. Clickers are mechanical there's no warmth to the sound of a clicker at all and they have a limited range of what you can say with them.

On the other hand my voice, whistles and hand claps are musical and they always work. There is something about the warmth of a musical note as opposed to the unending change of a clicker. Bas could hear a whistle from out in the wash over half a mile away. It might take ten minutes for him to get home but he did recall everytime. A "click" doesn't travel that far.

Over the years I've attended a lot of trials of different kinds. Watching a shepherd work his dog against a flock with just whistles is incredible. What kinds of commands? Anything you can think of. Try to think of it as a piece of music. Your whistle is the instrument all you have to do is teach your dog what the different songs are.

A selection of whistle trained dogs from YouTube.

Whistle recall. Kate is 17 weeks

Julie and Twist Double Lift Demo

Herding ducks http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTC7ORXy428

And of course you can always watch a selection of whistlers from the

Let's see a clicker do that.

Let's see a clicker do that.

A clicker doesn't do those things because that's not what a clicker is supposed to do.

A click is not a cue. It is used to mark that a behavior is correct and that a primary reinforcer (something the dog wants - usually food or play) is coming from the handler for that behavior.

In addition, unless you are using the clicker for behavior modification, the clicker is only used while the behavior is being trained. Once a behavior is trained using a clicker, the behavior is put on cue (which could be a whistle, a musical sound, a voice cue, visual cue, etc.) and the clicker is faded.

Even in the process of behavior modification with the clicker, the click is not a cue - it's a marker. There are some dogs who benefit from long term use of the clicker in a behavior modification context, although the role of the click will change as the dog's response to triggers changes.

I'm not saying you should or should not use a clicker. That's a personal choice. I wouldn't consider training without a clicker now that I know how powerful of a tool it is, but I'm not saying that you, or anyone else "must".

But I did want to clear up those misconceptions. The clicker is not a cue - it is a marker that is normally faded once the behavior is on the cue of your choice.

The fact that dogs hear other people clicking their dogs is really not a problem. In my classes, there are 6 - 8 dogs being clicked by their own handlers. The dogs know exactly which click is meant for them. I don't know how they do it, but I see it week after week. Sure, a random click in a random situation can catch a dog's attention, but usually the dog will quickly know that the click was meant for another dog and move along with life.

ETA: In case anyone reading this does not know me enough to know this, I do want to mention that I do not train stockwork. I am a pet dog and sport dog trainer and the people that take my classes are training their pet and sport dogs. I am NOT saying that stockwork should be done with a clicker. Most people here know me well enough to know that I would not say this, but just in case, I wanted to make this disclaimer!

Well said, Kristine.

I didn't feel the need to use the clicker on JJ & Jake but Josie's different. She's got this habit of turning her head towards me when she knows I want her attention but she's actually 'looking' at other dogs/people thru her peripheral. She would eventually look at me but then 'look' at the others. She would switch back and forth so quickly, by the time I said "Good Girl", she would be looking thru her peripheral again. The clicker came in very handy to mark the response I wanted from her. She also knows the difference between if I'm the one using the clicker or if someone else is.

desertranger, do you work stock?

I worked stock years and years ago. My last 3 BCs worked sports and SAR. I had a two dog team that pulled a wagon when shopping and when the kids were little enough to put in it. Always wanted to make a 4 dog wagon team. Jin will be trained in sports , frisbee, maybe agility or fly ball, and SAR. Due to local rules by the SAR teams he can't enter formal SAR training until he's a year and a half.

As a side note Jin goes to his 2nd obedience class at Petsmart this morning. Since his first class a week ago he has learned come, sit, down, up and eat this biscuit. I'm looking forward to seeing how the other students are doing.

BTW I took Jin to th dog park for the first time yesterday. It's amazing how many people don't even teach their dogs basic manners.

It sounds like you are happy with your class. He learned quite a bit in one week. I'm sure you are working with him a lot at home, also.

Am I right, that by whistles, you mean just come to me as a whistle? You can always work that out at home later at longer distances.

Sounds like a smart dog and you have a good instructor.

I worked stock until I left Wales. The farmer I bought Augie from and a couple of toher dogs let me use his farm and trained me. When I returned to the states I switched to sports simce I no longer lived in a livestock community, here it's table grapes and dates not sheep. From then on i trained my own dogs. Having kids and being an active hiker and camper I taught the dogs to be dray animals carrying packs and gear and to pull wagons.

An aside it was amazing when we would go into town on Sat night with the kids, dogs and a two dogteam wagon to haul the kids in. People thought we were being cruel to the dogs for making them pull a wagon.

Regards Jin and Petsmart. I like Bonnie she's a good trainer. She covers all of the required Petsmart material, good corporate employee, but teaches her own method. I give her high marks.

Jin attend class mostly to socialize and to get used to a handler and myself. Todays class is typical week two training.

Am I right, that by whistles, you mean just come to me as a whistle? You can always work that out at home later at longer distances.

Did you watch the vids I put up about 5 post back?

It's not just 'come'. I have whistle commands for almost everything I want them to do at a distance. Come, down, sit, stay, leave it, pick it up, go left, go right, back up, turn around, freeze (most important), heel left (center and right) and the list goes on.

Most people never really learn what a BC is capable of because they don't stretch it or they are just into whatever, stockwork, sports, SAR, etc.Additionally you can teach more than one dog to respond to the same set of whistle commands. In that case the first part of the whistle is the dogs name followed by the command. I once watched a guy work 4 dogs against a single flock. He had them divide the flock then had two dogs worked each flocklet. What the flock? I'm not sure what the record is. All I can say is the time spent in N. Wales learning about BC's was more valuable than the time I spent at the university there.

I'm looking forward to exploring how much I can teach Jin over the next however many years. It's going to be a lot of fun.

I just spent an hour wasting time watching some extreme examples of border collies at work.

The Gladiator This will bring tears to your eyes.

This dog has better moves than Michael Jackson.

Wow! You've done quite a bit! Sounds like PetSmart should hire you to be a trainer!

Where did Jin come from? That's one of the cutest pups I've seen in a long time. Did you breed her? (Is it a "her"?) How long have you been here in the States? Do you miss Wales?

Wow! You've done quite a bit! Sounds like PetSmart should hire you to be a trainer!

Where did Jin come from? That's one of the cutest pups I've seen in a long time. Did you breed her? (Is it a "her"?) How long have you been here in the States? Do you miss Wales?

@John the town was called LLanfairfechan aboput 10miles north of Bangor. There was another village to the west on Anglesy Island where I trained as well. Don't ask me to pronounce or spell the name. It's too long and can only be pronounced by Jane Fonda and Sean Connery.

@JDarling, My daughter found him in the newspaper. He was a Valentines day gift. When I asked her why she said It's been too long and I needed a black and white dog. When I got him I cried and held him for over an hour.

BTW She's a he. His collar/ruff is not a pretty girls long hair but a super heroes cape.

I'm a native of the Calif desert near Palm Springs, Ca. My last assignment in the US Air Force was England. After I got out I went back to school for an advanced engineering degree. I found being an American student in the UK under my GI Bill grant made me a fairly wealthy student allowing me to go to school full time. In the US I would have had to work and gone to school.

Do I miss Wales? Everything except the weather, too cold and damp. I prefer 105 degree summers. I consider some of my experiences in Wales among the most valuable in my life including learning to rock climb, being introduced to SAR and living in a 450 year old cottage with no electricity, a wood burning stove and 3 other students as roommates. As for being a trainer. No thanks I already teach desert craft and survival.

Time once again for a website plug. This is blatant advertising so please feel free to pay attention to it.

The link--> Desert Bandanna<--link is a large (26"x26") bandanna that is also a nature and survival guide. A book printed on high quality muslin that covers the basic outdoor skills needed when things go wrong. Encompassing the Survival Triad (food/water, fire and shelter), First aid/CPR, what to do about wildlife, how to tie knots, plants, animals and desert lore the Desert Bandanna also talks about what you are experiencing; the emotions, stress and anxiety. Starting with; "Are You Lost??? Stop!!! Park your butt on a rock... " and continues through to the "Three Trials" and caring for your mental and physical self. It is the knowledge to give you the edge when things go wrong.

@John the town was called LLanfairfechan aboput 10miles north of Bangor. There was another village to the west on Anglesy Island where I trained as well. Don't ask me to pronounce or spell the name. It's too long and can only be pronounced by Jane Fonda and Sean Connery.

Mmm, you were on the edge of Eryri (Snowdonia). It's many, many moons ago that I last hiked up Eryri. I'm from the South; where the countryside and language are subtly different from the Wales you knew.

Place names in Wales are un-pronouncable to the English; and even more bafling for Americans, I suppose.