BC Boards

A Peaceful Walk?

We live in a pleasant neighborhood in Ohio and on days like today, especially, I like to take Scooter for a walk. Problem is dogs off leash that come charging out at us along the way. There is :D a leash law here, but a lot of people ignore it. They seem to think if lthey're in the yard with the dog, it's okay. Recently had a German Shepherd and a Rotty menace us. The owner finally came out and yelled, "It's okay. We have invisible fence!" Yeah, really invisible! They were on the sidewalk! I know my attitude affects Scooter's, but when two huge dogs come rushing out at us barking and baring their teeth, I feel threatened! I guess my question is, how do I get over my fear of being attacked by someone else's dog and is there something I can do to protect myself and my gentle BC? :rolleyes::D

All empathy, no advice.

My dog is fine if other dogs stay away. If they get in his face, he gets fearful and will try to drive them off. Can't count the number of times I've had someone yell, "It's OK, he's friendly!" as her dog charges straight at me and Buddy gets his fight on.

::Sigh::

Mary

Same here.

Kip's reactivity, we have discovered, is generally only when he is on-leash.

There is a house down the block with the Three Beagles from Hell and their Lab sibling. (I like beagles okay, it is just that these sound like a cat in a lawnmower when they vocalize, which they do ALL THE TIME.)

Their invisible fence wire must be buried right at the sidewalk, cos they practically hang their toenails off on the walk as they line up and bark like mad, which, of course, sends Kip completely over the edge.

:rolleyes:

Where do you live in Ohio? When I lived there, I lived in a condo, where there wernt many places to walk dogs. I lived in Hamilton county just outside of Cinn. I found several really nice big parks to take my dogs to that had nice trails through the woods, with lakes and streams and used them weekly for a couple of years, and never ran accross dogs off lead which made it a very pleasant experience for my dogs and myself. They were parks that ya had to pay each time ya went in, so instead of paying each time, since we frequented them so often, I just bought a window sticker for 2 bucks, and could go any time. Im sure these werent isolated parks in the system, maybe you can google and see if you can find a few close by you to enjoy that arent far away. The nice thing about these parks, were that the walking trails werent very populated, so you almost never ran into anyone.

I dont walk my dogs in my area where I live, because no one keeps thier dogs tied, penned or even behind an invisable fence. Much less do they stick thier heads out the door to call off their menace dogs that would just as soon have my dogs for thier supper.

Where do you live in Ohio? When I lived there, I lived in a condo, where there wernt many places to walk dogs. I lived in Hamilton county just outside of Cinn. I found several really nice big parks to take my dogs to that had nice trails through the woods, with lakes and streams and used them weekly for a couple of years, and never ran accross dogs off lead which made it a very pleasant experience for my dogs and myself. They were parks that ya had to pay each time ya went in, so instead of paying each time, since we frequented them so often, I just bought a window sticker for 2 bucks, and could go any time. Im sure these werent isolated parks in the system, maybe you can google and see if you can find a few close by you to enjoy that arent far away. The nice thing about these parks, were that the walking trails werent very populated, so you almost never ran into anyone.

I dont walk my dogs in my area where I live, because no one keeps thier dogs tied, penned or even behind an invisable fence. Much less do they stick thier heads out the door to call off their menace dogs that would just as soon have my dogs for thier supper.

HamCo Parks sticker is about the best $2 ever spent! :rolleyes: The pups and we love the Durrell Gorge trail at Sharon Woods. Most of the folks we encounter on the trails are good about observing the leash laws. We live in the city, and it is often in our neighborhood where folks let the dogs loose in the front yards, with or without invisible fencing or reliable recall.

We live in Wood County. I think we're going to have to try the early morning walks. Like the idea of taking him to a park too. Thanks for everyone's input! Glad to know I'm not the only one who has this problem! :rolleyes:

we love the Durrell Gorge trail at Sharon Woods

Yep, thats where we use to go, the Sharon woods Park, I was trying to think what the name of it was. Still cant remember the name of the other one though. Really nice place though.

I like to take Scooter for a walk. Problem is dogs off leash that come charging out at us along the way. There is :D a leash law here, but a lot of people ignore it.

Or you could just have idiot neighbors with a vicious Rot (now put down) and a vicious Bullmastiff that they ran loose until a court date was set from it charging your wife, friend and finally attacking your dog. Some people respond to talking kindly to and others just need Animal Control.

As for the invisible fence, I think they can run it in the cracks of sidewalks or something as they can close off your driveway. Not exactly sure how they do it but it works. I think they work just fine for keeping your dogs in but unfortunately they dont keep vicious dogs out. :rolleyes:

I walk Jedi and Cadi everyday and we definitely run into problems occasionally. Just last night for instance the killer chihuahua (how the heck is that spelled)

on the other block got loose and attacked as we were walking by the house. Thank goodness my husband (DH? Does that stand for dumb husband?) was there holding Cadi because if I had both of them I would not have been able to hold them back. This dog would not let up for nothing. It acted like a crazed animal going after dogs at least 5 times its size. Cadi wanted to have it for dinner, and if we had let them go they would have had to kill it because this dog was not thinking straight. The owner finally got a hold of it by it's harness and was very apologetic...but I wonder how apologetic she would have been if my dogs had hurt him.

The unexpected is not always something you can plan for so it's scary sometimes. I've actually considered carrying a walking stick for protection. Anyone have any thoughts on that?

The killer chihuahua (how the heck is that spelled)

The unexpected is not always something you can plan for so it's scary sometimes. I've actually considered carrying a walking stick for protection. Anyone have any thoughts on that?

1) You spelled it correctly! We have two of them and yes they can be to big for their britches!

2) I wouldnt go for a walking stick because you have one less hand to control your dogs with if needed. There is something called an Asp which is a collapsible batton carried by police officers and is perfectly legal in most areas. They run about $35-40 or so and slip into an easily accessable loop holder on your belt. I dont recommend mace or pepper spray as that can get into your dogs eyes as well.

Citronella Spray for obnoxious dogs! Used to be called Direct Stop, now Spray Shield. We haven't had to use it (all the loose dogs we run into skedaddle when I yell at them and approach menacingly), but it doesn't have the issue of blowback to worry about and won't increase aggression like pepper spray.

I don't know what I was thinking. I walk with one dog in each hand. Where would the walking stick go? :rolleyes: I'll look into the baton. Is there a store or should I search online?

Georgia

You could go on-line if you wish or just search your phone book for an Army/Navy store or a police supply outlet. If you live anywhere near a decent sized city you should find one. Or just go to your nearest gun store - they almost always have them if its more than a hole in the wall. Just make sure its actually an ASP and not just a collapsible baton - the quality difference is night and day. If you cant find one locally I could refer you to an online store. Its nice to choose the length you want in person. I will look up a URL for you.

Ryan

I think if I were you, and you do have a leash law in your town, I would definitely carry a cell phone with me. So when something like this happens, it won't protect you of course from the dogs, but I would report the abusers of the leash law so that hopefully you will be able to have a safe, fun walk with your dog. I've had several experiences too, where a dog would leave their yards, but luckily they've just been curious. I guess Misty has an air about her that isn't threatening because they just seem to want to check her out and that's about it. Plus she's a hotty (in the dog world)! :rolleyes: Although, I did have one dog come running and making scary sounds, and I pulled Misty back, got between (which I'm sure you shouldn't do) and yelled "HEY, GET BACK!" I think the dog was surprised to hear me yell. He stopped and then his owner came and got him. Try not to let this or other experiences deter you from walking your dog. If you know where these houses are, maybe walk on the opposite side of the street and hopefully you'll be fine. Good Luck!