BC Boards

Flea prevention?

I am very apprehensive to put flea products like frontline and advantage on my pups because I feel as though I am poisoning them. My vet insists that the product doesn't enter the blood stream but I find it hard to believe. I was just wondering if anyone uses any natural approaches to keeping their dogs flea-free. I pulled two fleas off of him yesterday and he's itching like crazy, so I'm trying to find something to help him out! Thanks in advance!!

I have a co-worker who has a friend who uses eucalyptus as a flea repellent. She soaks clay beads in it then strings the beads onto a leather shoelace and uses that as a flea collar. I’ve never tried it but she says it works well. I don’t what kind of dogs she has or what kind of environment they’re in but I have heard before that eucalyptus is a natural flea repellent.

And it smells nice too!

Good luck.

I am very apprehensive to put flea products like frontline and advantage on my pups because I feel as though I am poisoning them. My vet insists that the product doesn't enter the blood stream but I find it hard to believe. I was just wondering if anyone uses any natural approaches to keeping their dogs flea-free. I pulled two fleas off of him yesterday and he's itching like crazy, so I'm trying to find something to help him out! Thanks in advance!!

Look at these products: http://flutterbyearomatics.com/flutterpooch/flea_tick.htm

I'm told they work. I use natural repellents on my dogs. They don't work so well on the ticks, but so far, no fleas.

I doctor up :D a generic grooming spray I use with citronella, neem, and lavender oil. We rarely have fleas and ticks here anymore, so I can't say if it's that or the overall health of the dogs or just plain old good luck. Rarely have a problem traveling either though.

We were flea attacked at one Red Roof :rolleyes: in Georgia but the dogs were flealess within an hour of leaving that nasty place.

I'd be careful of some of the natural products. Just because it's natural doesn't mean it's safe. Simple good grooming and health care to result in a clean, healthy coat goes a long way to prevent parasites from jumping on for a bite. Keeping the environment clean helps too - simple tasks like frequent vacuming, washing bedding...