BC Boards

Question about spayed female

Over the past 2 days, Gypsy has become the object of desire for male dogs. In the dog park, they won't leave her alone. It's never been like this before, occasionally she or another dog would hump each other in play, but tonight there were 5 different males at different times that tried to mount her (repeatedly) :rolleyes: Can a spayed female dog still emit the pheromones of an intact female to signal to males that she's in heat? Or is there some other reason for this sudden increase in "affection" for her?

I don't know really. I know when I brought Holly home, Skip spent most of his time with his nose stuck in her butt. Then after she was spayed, he pretty much has stopped. So, maybe it depends on the dog. Plus, the males could just be sex fiends! They probly need to be registered!

It can take up to a month for the "smells" of "Availibility" to vanish after spaying. :rolleyes:

Also sometimes after spaying they can develope UTI's. I too would get her checked.

Interesting. I have sometimes wondered if Carlie is completely spayed or if there is a piece of ovary left in there producing some estrogen. She was spayed at 6 months before going into heat and is now 8 years old. She goes through times, maybe 2 weeks at a time, when she is irresistible to male dogs. Even Griffin, her housemate, becomes smitten and spends his time with his nose up her butt or whimpering at her and dancing around. Then it seems to go away and things go back to normal until it happens again. It seems to happen every 8 months or so. She will even flirt back and will stand to be bred (Griffin's dad and she had a fling). No UTIs here, she's been checked.

Or is my dog a hussy?

Olivia

Thanks for the replies. Most likely a UTI since last night she peed on her pillow with no warning, and before this has had zero accidents in over a year. She was spayed just over a year ago and the behaviour is developing now.. So I guess it's off to the vets we go! :rolleyes: