BC Boards

crate, sheet, no barking

For the last month or more, Bandit would start barking non stop after driving in car for about 20 minutes. Very anoying! It didn't matter if he was in crate or not.

Well miracles do happen. Yesterday I was driving down Shore drive, the scenic route to Oceanfront. Instead of enjoying the drive, I felt stressed due to Bandit's non stop loud barking. I pulled off the road to let him out of crate, hoping he would stop barking. On the back floor board I found a white sheet I had used for wraping a fragile object recently. A light bulb went off in my head. I don't remeber where I heard it, but someone once suggested drapping a sheet over his crate. To my amazement. His barking stopped completely. Today when driving to Oceanfront it worked again.

Does anyone know why covering crate works? Does anyone else have success in covering crate?

:D Yes, I've had success with that too. There were some days Zeeke would NOT stop barking in his crate (in the bedroom) when I wanted to take a nap. Usually he's let out of his crate when I'm napping, but for some reason he had to stay in there. Wouldn't stop. So I draped a blanket over his crate. Worked like a charm. I believe it works because it removes the visual excitement - it makes the surroundings boring, so they have nothing to bark at, more or less.

Of course then one day he ate the blanket, soooo... doesn't always work how you want it to. :rolleyes:

I keep one draped over Navi's crate and it works for him. He doesn't bark, but when he has a bone and Pache "sees" him he goes to growling. He hasn't figured out that as long as he's actually in his crate, Pache can't get his bone. :rolleyes:

Their crates are within seeing distance of each other right now because of the cramped space we're in until we get the addition finished so theres no separating the crates right now. I think he feels cozy in it w/ the blanket over it because when he's in our room, he prefers to sleep in his crate at night.

RaisingRiver, funny you should say that. Zeeke's always had a bit of a hyperactive disorder (heh) - always wants to play play play. BUT soon as the bedroom light goes off at night, he lays down and falls asleep. Zoe's learned from him. Sometimes I like to keep the light on, but if the dogs are being too rambunctious hubby tells me to turn off the light... *click* goes the light, *thump* goes both dogs, *zzzzzz*. o.O It works great! LOL

Tess is one of those dogs that my trainer calls - - "Hyper-aware of her surroundings" - - when crated in the back of my SUV she does much better - - haven't had to do the sheet yet - but it does tend to make their world smaller and takes away that visual stimulation - wish it worked on the Cockatoo as well :rolleyes: - hahahaha

Maggie, Tess and Roz

Update.... day 3..... still no more barking in crate draped with sheet while driving in car. What a relief. Driving can be enjoyable again. Even with the high price of gasoline. lol

Now I'm wondering when crate training at home for 4 hrs on occasion when I'm gone, should I still leave Bandit watching Animal planet or sheet draping crate?

Lunar, Bandit barks when I'm leaving house. Some times he is barking when I'm returning home. I really don't know how much he barks in crate while I'm gone. But you question has given me a great idea. I think I will try taping him with 90 minute voice tape recorder next time he is in crate while i'm gone.

Hey, good idea. If he is barking, I'd go ahead and cover it.... but make sure he's not going to eat the cover!! Zeeke did that... grabbed a corner and pulled it in through the bars, then ripped it apart. and it was my quilt, too. :rolleyes: