BC Boards

outlawing pets on laps while driving

You know most of us managed to survive our childhood without seat belts, helmets, knee pads, child seats, fire proof pajamas, and whatever else society has managed to make complicated. I had fun and I survived. We don't need more laws. I could go on but I am going to bite my tongue.

Toni

if they dont have to pass a new law, then by all means don't. it is the responsibility of every owner to make sure very little distracting them in the vehicle. if a pet is doing this and a cop sees it and feels it necessary, then IMHO they should be at least given a warning.

but people are still going to do what they want, and screw everyone else in the process. it's the same old thing all the time....it only takes one to ruin it for everyone

When I was a little kid, cars did not have seatbelts, airbags, and plenty of other safety features. Yes I survived, and lots of other people, too (and lots of other people did not). Now that my daughter can drive by herself, I'm darn glad that cars do have all those safety features!!! Cars are much safer now, but also much heavier, and often larger and potentially deadly projectiles. When I was little, nobody had cell phones to play around with while driving, or Ipods, Cd's, cassettes etc. to fiddle with while driving, heck, not even all cars had a radio, because it cost extra, fast food was not a concept in Germany yet, nobody took hot coffee papercups in the car etc. etc. etc. We have invented lots of substantial distractions for ourselves while driving, and lots of people use those distractions with abandon. I'm guilty of some of that myself, and not proud of it.

But I don't think a cell phone for example, could suddenly decide to bark and jump around like crazy because it saw a cat across the street. A dog, even the most well behaved, could do such a thing at any moment. That's dangerous enough if the dog is in the passenger seat or back seat, simply because it might scare you and take your attention away from the street, but it's way more dangerous when the pup is sitting on your lap.

Maybe I'm just too paranoid or afraid ... and even more so now with a driving teenager.

If the reckless driving laws cover this already, how come they want a seperate law? Don't know enough about law writing, it's very possible this is more about awareness and publicity. I also don't know that this a very widespread problem that needs urgent legislation, I doubt it. But I do think it's a good idea to discuss it, and maybe think about your own and other people's safety. Just my opinion.

Andrea

my dogs all ride loose in the car, and that includes our laps, drivers laps included for the smaller dogs(the boys, Ripley and Rusty are the only dogs allowed on the drivers lap), they sit quietly and dont cause a problem, if they get to exited they get booted off the drivers lap, so I cant say I have an issue with dogs on drivers laps.

Hey Barb, I am all for education! No prob with that at all! It's like I always say, the guvment can educate, not dictate!

I agree, however..I've seen the education coming out of our government schools. Ya can't educate stupidity!

Karen

I agree, we do not need another law that will only be targeted to fill the government coffers. There are already laws on the books that address this and other issues in a broader range. But alas, you cannot pass a law to encourage not so common sense.

I also see it from another point of view, that of a former Paramedic. We used to call them "furry air bags", and I've had to extract a few after accidents. It only takes a split second for something bad to happen.

Mine either are crated, or behind the barrier in the back. And loose dogs in the back of pickups makes my hackles go up (I know that there is already a law on the books in Ca that already is followed or enforced).

OK now I will climb down off my soapbox.

Agreed: we did not have seatbelts and airbags and all when I was a kid.

Of course, the speed limit was 25mph in a settled area and 45mph in the country. And that meant 25 and 45 - not 36 and 56, as folks insist now. Even so, we had about a funeral every month or so in high school for a kid - or a couple - who died in a car wreck.

When you sit behind the steering wheel of a moving vehicle, you should be driving. Not talking on the phone, not playing with the radio, not patting your dog, not even chatting or arguing with your kids. If it takes a law to make you do that, it takes a law. If you drove properly, we wouldn't need such laws. But so many of you admit that you do not drive properly that it is clear that we do need laws. And they have to be very specific - not "pay attention" - or you'll argue that what you, personally, were doing is safe.

With all due respect, Nancy, some of us ARE capable of walking and chewing gum at the same time. I used to drive a truck. I have driven border to border and coast to coast. I've backed up more than most folks have driven forward. There ain't much I haven't seen. But, I have talked on the CB, munhced munchies and still managed to keep a 4-wheeler(trucker slang for cars)from killing his fool self by running into me. I'm not bragging, just stating facts. The thing is, no matter what else I may be doing while driving, driving is the most important thing. Not my sammich, not what someone is saying on the CB. I don't like the idea of a "nanny state". I don't need to be babysat. I know some folks do. But I am not willing to give up yet another right to be an adult, capable of making decisions, because of stupid people. One law I would indorse? An anti-stupid people law.

I don't like the idea of a "nanny state". I don't need to be babysat. I know some folks do. But I am not willing to give up yet another right to be an adult, capable of making decisions, because of stupid people. One law I would indorse? An anti-stupid people law.

Hear, hear!

When you sit behind the steering wheel of a moving vehicle, you should be driving. Not talking on the phone, not playing with the radio, not patting your dog, not even chatting or arguing with your kids. If it takes a law to make you do that, it takes a law. If you drove properly, we wouldn't need such laws. But so many of you admit that you do not drive properly that it is clear that we do need laws. And they have to be very specific - not "pay attention" - or you'll argue that what you, personally, were doing is safe.

Except that laws dont make people do anything!! All they really do is apease the public who thinks that laws make people do things. If there were a law against chatting with friends while driving in your car, not only would it not be followed, it would not be enforced, because a prosecutor would not able to prove that a person was engaging in the activity (unless, of course, we also want to pass a law authorizing bugs to be planted in all new cars--so we can check up on people to make sure they're not chatting!). While we are at it, why don't we pass a law against driving while daydreaming? Besides the fact that we would not be able to prove it, the answer is, because we don't need to. If people are not paying attention (whether because they are engaged in some simultaneous activity or because they're just not paying attention) and they do something stupid/careless, there are already laws to take care of it. If someone gets hurt that's unfortunate. But, we all have to die someday.

And let us not forget that the features that make modern cars safer - seat belts that stay fastened during a crash; airbags, etc. - resulted not from the efforts of legislators but because of -

Trial Lawyers! :rolleyes::D

Don't worry y'all - we'll continue to safeguard democracy. :D

Calif. lawmaker: Pets on lap while driving is a distraction, needs to be banned

05-05-2008 11:25 PM

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (Associated Press) -- Pull over and put down the dog.

A California lawmaker wants to ban motorists from holding pets on their laps while driving and getting caught can net a $35 fine. The bill passed the Assembly on a 44-11 vote on Monday, and heads to the Senate.

Assemblyman Bill Maze says his legislation has nothing to do with pet-loving celebrities who are photographed driving around Los Angeles with their small dogs.

Maze says he introduced the bill after seeing a woman driving with three dogs on her lap.

He says pets are a distraction that put motorists and their passengers at risk.

I heard on fox news few hours ago that the law was passed!

I saw this on dogster. They even had a poll if you were guilty of allowing your pet to sit on your lap. Frankly, I don't think it's legal here either, but it's not like they'll pull you over for it.

I could not imagine Misty being on my lap while driving. In fact, if you ever see her on my lap, stop me! Call the cops, or better yet an ambulance! Because the outcome isn't going to be pretty! Unless she's so smart, she can steer! LOL

I have a lap dog too, and I don't even drive with her on my lap. :rolleyes: