BC Boards

Meg is getting older, fast

My beloved rescued mutt-dog is getting to be an old lady now. White hairs are spreading from under her chin, across her muzzle and round her eyes. The white blaze on her chest is creeping sideways.

My heart aches, my skin creeps and my eyes fill with tears at the very thought of losing her. I know her time will come - maybe sooner than I think, hopefully not for many years to come. I cannot seem to get the thought from my head at the moment, so I just wanted to say:

Meg Bone thank you for everything we have learned together. We have played together, explored new places and been companions for each other no matter what. Most of all you have been there, gentle, furry , solid and kind, when it seemed like my world was in pieces. You have taught me a great deal about companionship and loyalty - and continue to do so. As you lie there twitching and snuffing and squeaking in sleep, I realise how very deeply I love you. And I know that you know that too. Good dog Meg.

Hey, going grey doesn't mean imminent death!

My husband had grey hairs when I met him - when he was 21. He's totally grey now (head and beard), but still going strong at almost 65.

At 12, Fergie has a face full of grey. And she can act like she's old and decrepit when we take her on any of our many daily walks. But let her spot a squirrel, a heron, or one of her friends, and she'll act like a puppy.

Elizabeth,

Stop that!! You're making me cry...

Skye too is getting a few grey hairs around her chin and muzzle (she's six next month) so FCOL, she better have a lot more years in her! And so with Meg. Stop thinking about that stuff and enjoy every moment together as if it were your first! And yeah, I'd look like hell if I didn't visit the salon every 6 weeks :rolleyes: and I've got a few good years left I hope...

Ailsa

Here's to loads more years together!

Don't know why I've come over all maudlin....

Mmmm grey hairs - they seem to be multiplying on my head too - and no, I don't consider myself over the hill yet, either! Thanks for all your lovely replies...

Elizabeth

Maddie's face is getting very grey, but she's not slowing down at all. In fact, we just started competing in Agility about a year ago and she shows no signs of wanting to slow down!

It breaks my heart a little to my original pack of three getting older, though. The grey on Maddie's face is an inevitable reminder . . .

Here's hoping for many good years for all of our older dogs!

It's so scary, isn't it? I'd probably never be able to face these thoughts at all if it wasn't for the Boards.

Those who like the mountains might know what it feels like to have clambered up somewhere your instincts don't want to allow you to go - the fear and the exhilaration. And the thoughts about how the heck you'll get back down.

But I don't think I could ever be able to take it further and climb up somewhere KNOWING I couldn't get back down without breaking my neck. Still, I've gotten myself a dog...which is a scarier version of the same situation, only the consequences - the fall - seem so comfortably far off and not immediate. And it's so beautiful "up here", 'I still think it's worth it...

Whenever I feel like this, I take comfort in the fact that as long as Kessie is okay (meaning her heart, not her body), there's a large part of me that will be okay too. If I manage not to let her down until the end.

Here's to many more years for you both to share! I hope I will be lucky enough to get to know life with an old dog, after all I have read about it here, and extrapolating from where Kessie and I are now. We'll still be bitching at one another occasionally, only she'll be so much "wiser" than me by then...or at least FEEL like she's so much wiser :rolleyes: .

It's so scary, isn't it? I'd probably never be able to face these thoughts at all if it wasn't for the Boards.

Those who like the mountains might know what it feels like to have clambered up somewhere your instincts don't want to allow you to go - the fear and the exhilaration. And the thoughts about how the heck you'll get back down.

But I don't think I could ever be able to take it further and climb up somewhere KNOWING I couldn't get back down without breaking my neck. Still, I've gotten myself a dog...which is a scarier version of the same situation, only the consequences - the fall - seem so comfortably far off and not immediate. And it's so beautiful "up here", 'I still think it's worth it...

Whenever I feel like this, I take comfort in the fact that as long as Kessie is okay (meaning her heart, not her body), there's a large part of me that will be okay too. If I manage not to let her down until the end.

Here's to many more years for you both to share! I hope I will be lucky enough to get to know life with an old dog, after all I have read about it here, and extrapolating from where Kessie and I are now. We'll still be bitching at one another occasionally, only she'll be so much "wiser" than me by then...or at least FEEL like she's so much wiser :rolleyes: .

As ever Sandra, you hit the nail right on the head - I love the mountain analogy - and expressed with more eloquence than I could ever muster.

My friend has a wonderful lab/mastiff mix who's only 6, and suddenly is white faced and looks like an old man. We're all kind of "bracing" because the big dogs age so fast, while all our dogs are roughly the same age and feel "young" to us. The vet told her 7 is a senior for a dog his size. ::Sigh::

Mary

I never had a dog when I was a kid, so the pain of losing my first dog to old age was an odd one. Especially since we adopted him as an older dog and actually didn't realize how old he was until old age problems hit seemingly overnight.

I now have a trio of 11+ yo oldsters (two of whom are dogs I've raised from pups), a trio of middle-aged dogs, and a passel of youngsters. All three of the old guys (including the 100 pound Great Pyr/Maremma mix) showed a bit of stiffness last winter that went away when I started them on joint supplements. Maggie at 14 1/2 shows almost no signs of age - I think she doesn't see well from one eye but it's hard to tell. She plays, runs, and hikes all over as much as ever. Well, she was a wild child so maybe she has slowed down - but you'd never know if you didn't know her as a youngster. Ben at 12 still rounds up sheep at least once a day.

And someday I'm going to get video of Lu the 11 yo LGD streaking across the pasture like a bullet to meet an intruder - and have it to show people who think early aging is an inevitable part of being a large dog. When in fact it's show breeding that has shortened the lives of these wonderful, useful animals.

It's difficult to think of the day these friends and partners will leave, but I try not to let that day darken the present when they are still with us. And as Melanie says, I tell Ben he is not allowed to die. Ever.

We tend to show up for any and all USCF bicycle races we can find. A few years ago, at one near here, we met a golden with a totally whitened muzzle. You know the look, not a white muzzle, but the white hairs all over. Fergie hadn't started greying yet, so we were the idiots who patted the dog gently and asked how old it was. Six months. She was born with that "greying' muzzle.

That said, when I wake up during the night, and again when I wake in the morning, I certainly do check to be sure that Fergie is still breathing - she sleeps by my side of the bed. Then again, I have been doing that with Chuck (DH) since he was ~30. Well, the mother of a good friend woke up to find that her husband had died while sleeping next to her in bed. Yeah, the dead guy was about the age we are now. And he was overweight and smoked and didn't exercise. But I worry.

Such a sad post. I think we all worry about our dogs. I remember watching Miss Lacey age. At 11, she was pretty grey and I was newly divorced and really wondered what I would do without my heart dog. She gave me 6 more years of love. Her ashes sit near my computer with her collar and leash and pictures also her little hat she used to wear when she played tennis ball in the river. It had her name on it. I really don't know what made her more special than the others. I only know it was love at first site.

Usher and I are developing a different kind of love. One that has grown. No love at first site this time. Maybe I was hurt too much from Miss Lacey's passing to let him in. I hope that he will be my 2nd heart dog. He reminds me of her a lot. Don't think you are losing Meg, she has many years ahead. I think there was a thread here on old dogs and someone mentioned a 23 year old BC. We can only hope for many healthy years and happy days.

Sorry to hear that you are feeling that way. You know, I started to say that about my Skyler and he also had many more years after he started getting grey hairs above his eyes. You cant prepare for it no matter what you do so I suggest taking that feeling and realize how precious time is with them. Live in the moment, love them all that you can and realize these are some of the best years of her life - dont live in the future.

I love young and energetic dogs who can play disc like noones business and they are so bright and full of life. But there is more than something to be said about an old dog that you have had forever. They look in your eyes and know EXACTLY what you mean without a word, they are content just to be mellow and yet are ready for that walk youve been going on for years. This is the sweetest time for your relationship.

But there is more than something to be said about an old dog that you have had forever. They look in your eyes and know EXACTLY what you mean without a word, they are content just to be mellow and yet are ready for that walk youve been going on for years. This is the sweetest time for your relationship.

Skyler, you're absolutely right. MAybe I need to take a leaf from my dogs' book and live life emoment by moment.

Skyler, you're absolutely right. MAybe I need to take a leaf from my dogs' book and live life emoment by moment.

We spend so much time teaching them how to live in our world that sometimes we forget to learn about and live in theirs. I have learned to just stop and see the things that they seem to know so easily - unconditional love, forgiveness at the drop of a hat, pure elation in the simple things of nature and living within the moment - just to name a few.

Enjoy each other and always try to look for what you admire in her. Its amazing what they can teach us and how much dogs can change and enrich our lives :rolleyes: