BC Boards

Smudge

silhouettestable

Tonight I say goodbye to my good old cat Smudge, who would have been 15 in just a few short months. I realize this board is about border collies and Smudge was not even a dog, however she was the first cat I ever had, the friendliest cat, never sick a day in her life and she just suddenly passed away in her sleep. I went out to feed the cats and found her in her usual place, all curled up and cozy looking. I'm in shock to say the least. She was a little stray kitty, born wild and mom was run over by a car. Some people started feeding the kittens and were followed home so they put a notice up at the vets advertising the kittens. She started out as my barn kitty and when she was tiny she'd ride around in my hood or zipped up inside my coat with just her head sticking out at my neck. Later she became an indoor cat during the winter, but lived outside in the warmer weather and was the official stable greeter, visiting with everyone who came to ride. While the kids were riding Smudge would keep the parents company, sitting by their feet or on their lap, and everybody loved Smudge. Even people who said that they normally don't like cats all loved her, and she loved everybody, purring non-stop and drooling with happiness when she was petted. Here are a couple of old pictures of my good old girl. RIP Smudge

Smudge.jpg

Smudge2.jpg

A CAT’S AFTERLIFE

My precious kitty passed away, no more to breathe a sound.

I held her for the last time, then entombed her in the ground.

Day and night I wept so much, in tears I thought I'd drown.

I searched my soul for comfort, but no peace therein was found.

In great despair, I hit my knees and then began to pray.

"Father, will I ever see my cat again someday?"

I raised my eyes and saw an angel standing near a gate.

I sensed an inner peace I'd never felt before that day.

The angel smiled and said to me, "Oh ye of little faith!

God sees every bird that falls; He knows your kitten's fate.

I have met your little cat, I saw her pass my way.

Your precious kitten is still alive; she just walked through this gate.

Paradise is lovelier than you can comprehend.

No pain or grief, no tears or fears, and life will have no end.

God gave to man His only Son, to cover all his sins.

So why would God withhold from you, your pure and loving friend?”

The angel took me by the hand and said, "Now come with me.

A glimpse of paradise I'll give, to you so you can see."

Through the gate and o'er the Rainbow Bridge we did proceed.

Through green valleys filled with flowers, rolling hills and trees.

“Wow, so this is paradise!” The place was filled with joy.

I saw my kitten playing there, with dogs and cats and toys.

She also had some kitty treats, and food that she enjoyed.

She'd made a lot of new friends there, including girls and boys.

Then I saw a child come near, and hug my little mate.

She said to her, "I love you so," and kissed her on the face.

The angel said, "The child just crossed the Rainbow Bridge today.

Now she needs a little friend, to love and help her play.

God’s love for her would be enough, in that make no mistake.

But in His love, He knew full well, the child would want a mate.

This is why God called your cat unto this splendid place.

God’s entrusted her with your baby, ‘til you pass through the gate."

I pleaded, “May I hug them both?!” The angel answered, “No!

You’d violate a sacred site, and now it’s time to go.”

He led me back across the Bridge and through the gate to home.

He left me there with new-found hope and peace within my soul.

If someone ever asks what happens to a cat that dies,

Just give a gentle smile of joy and look them in the eye.

Take their hand and comfort them and tell them not to cry.

For cats don’t die, they simply cross a bridge to paradise.

Via con Dios, little Smudge...

post-4441-1210093532_thumb.jpg

My condolences.

It doesn't matter whether dog, cat, horse, bird or any other walking, crawling or flying thing, they all have a place in our hearts shaped just for them.

Thank you everyone. I buried her earlier today and it was one of the hardest things ever. I've had lots of pets before and have experienced many losses over the years but usually there is some indication of illness or injury that helps to prepare for their passing. Even having to have a pet euthanized can be some comfort (a hard decision but knowing it's the right one when a pet is suffering). Even though Smudge was aging she seemed to be in perfect health and then was suddenly gone. I suppose that is something we can all hope for, for ourselves and our pets, to never have a moment of pain, suffering, illness or discomfort. It just somehow seemed so wrong to be putting her in the ground when she just looked to be peacefully asleep, eyes closed, head resting on the tip of her tail, front paws tucked neatly under her. At least I know it was a peaceful passing.

I'm sorry for your loss - as someone who has both dogs and cats and love all of them dearly, I know how hard it is lose one you've had for many years. Losing an elderly pet w/o warning always seems hard but in truth is the kindest thing for both owner and pet IMO - you don't have to make the dreaded "decision" and the pet doesn't go through illness and suffering. However, I also have to admit the pets I've grieved the most for have been the ones that died very unexpectedly - you always wonder if you overlooked something and you miss the chance to say goodbye - but still I'd rather the pet died in their sleep w/o fear or pain. I'm not sure how it works but I'm sure that the dogs and cats that lived together are at the Rainbow Bridge together as well waiting for their humans so I'm sure Smudge has joined well-known old friends to wait for you.

You know, that's how we all wish to go: being fine up to then, then just keep on sleeping one time.

It's hard on those left behind. But It's how I hope to go.

A long sickness or decline certainly prepares everyone. But I'd really rather be surprised by my death. So I have to allow that for others. At least you know that she was never in pain and never suffered. I'm thankful for my one cat (out of 3 dogs and 6 cats I've had) died that way.

And Smudge died knowing that she was special and especially loved. That will eventually help you feel better.