BC Boards

BC intelligence

I put Jazzy on her bed while I trained Cooper to learn a new trick. We were 15 feet away from Jazzy. I spent 5 minutes or so teaching a simple behavior - paws up. Anyway, I was teaching him to gently put his front paws only on a couch and stand still for a pet. It took a few minutes for him to learn but he got tons of reward doing that.

I put Cooper on his bed and called Jazzy to the same spot. I was going to teach her something else tonight. But before I tell her anything, she put both of her front paws on the couch, on the same spot, stood still, wagged her tail and looked at me for treats!! I thought it was a fluke so I put her off the couch and waited. She did it again. It's a simple behavior to learn but it amazed me how she was watching what Cooper was doing to get his reward. And when it was her turn, she did exactly that. If she already knew it, it wouldn't have amazed me that much. I know dogs copy what other dogs do but she learned it so quickly!

It's a real buzz when they do something like that, isn't it.

Years ago I was training agility with a friend and her two Golden Retrievers. My then Border Collie would not do the dog walk - so he was tied up while the others were working on the dw. All of them went over with no problems, then Sam chewed through his lead :rolleyes: , came over to the dog walk and performed it happily. From then on it was one of his favourite obstacles.

oh I love it when they do that, no matter how many times I see it happen its still somehowe thrilling to see.

thats how Happy learned to jump into my arms, I had tried showing her as a joke only I was in on lol, had her watch Misty do it that asked Happy too and she did. I recall my old dog Shadow did that as well, she's a BC mix and was always fasinated by Agility on TV, anytime it was on, Shadow would jump and a chair in front the the TV and play close attention to every run, then one day our club had a fun agility thing and I brought Shadow along..Shadow who had NEVER seen Agility equipment outside of the TV, and you would thunk she'd been training for years ..I think in her mind she was lol

INU, that's how Fergie learned to fetch the newspaper.

We had always walked her out and given her the paper because it seemed too big for her to pick up. Then she saw a long-haired lab on whom she had a crush dash up the driveway, grab the paper, and run back down. When we got home, Fergie grabbed our paper from the driveway and ran to the house.

A few years ago, the neighbor across and up the hill had some rescue dogs in the fenced yard. The part -BC managed to sneak out and watched Fergie come back from our walk and bring the newspaper home. The neighbor told me that that morning they had 4-5 copies of the paper on their doorstep - and they didn't subscribe.

Inu, that's adorable!

I'm crossing my fingers that my little snots don't learn how to open doors - my current foster is an Aussie who does just that. It's annoying as hell, and he's damaging the paint. He's adorable otherwise, but is really clingy so he'll "look" for us if he can't see us. (Lever doors - he doesn't have opposable thumbs) - but that's how the whole house is.

Danielle