BC Boards

Hello everyone!

Allow me to introduce myself :rolleyes: my name's Donna and my family just adopted a BC from a breeder. She is a 1 yo spayed female and just as sweet as can be!

the woman we bought her from was on a farm where she bred BCs and kept some for herding. well, this little girl didnt want to herd at all! she is very calm and just wants lovin. because of this, they decided not to keep her, so we swept her right up. our girls (4 & 7) just love her and she seems to just love everyone!

we've named her Tifa because she didnt respond to her original name. she's already taking to it. we couldn't get her to eat the first couple days, but it wasn't for lack of food....we think she was scared of the bowl. as soon as it was in a hand or on the floor, she would eat it. so we figure they must have fed her on the ground or on a plate. now that i've put her food on a plate, she has no problem. she also seems to have a bladder of steel! she can hold it forever, i dont encourage it tho. i take her out for a nice walk 2x a day, plus someone is always home and lets her in our fenced yard so she can romp and go.

here's some photos of her. i welcome any suggestions/comments. i have joined here to help me understand my girl because i've never owned a BC before. OH YEAH! she was the runt of her litter, she is NOT a chewer or a barker. i have heard her growl only once. it's like she's the antithesis of a BC!?

WalkwithTifa.jpgcloseup.jpghearstheshephards.jpgwalking.jpg

Tifa.jpgTifaRi.jpgTifaGirls.jpgSnugglin.jpg

Welcome Mrs Jimi! Glad you joined this board. It's full of great people and fabulous BCs!

You've got a sweet lookin' girl there. And your people girls are darling!

Welcome to the board! Great looking family! Glad to know she was spayed, how responsible! I don't know exactly how long you have had her, but sometimes when dogs change homes/enviroments it can take up to a month for them to get comfortable enough to show their "true" personalities! Most well bred Border Collies, even though they may not work out with working stock, are relatively calm when not "doing" something. Sounds like you lucked out on getting a very laid back BC! Good luck with her, and ask any questions you may have! Lots of knowledgable folks here! Good job on figuring out her feeding!

Ah yes, I remember those days fondly. Home training, Puppy Kindegarten, Family Dog training, Good Citizen training, Remedial Puppy Kindergarten, Reform School, parole, Remedial Puppy Kindergarten again...

Incidentally, I always wanted a daughter or a grand-daughter. Are either of those girls available for adoption?

:rolleyes: yer funny LOL i'll cost ya!! HHAHAHA

the girls have been having a hard time adjusting to their daddy's new work schedule. he was unemployed for almost 5 months and the new job requires 2nd shift. so they dont see him often. hopefully, little Tifa will help that void a bit.

we did have an accident with Tifa yesterday. she thought no one was home and apparently she had to go, so on the floor it went from both ends! oh well. she will learn that Daddy is home all day sleeping and how to bug him awake HAHAHA

thanks again........boy do i have a story for you!!

so i ended up getting into 2 shouting arguments with a neighbor further down our row on Saturday. she saw me walking Tifa and well, lets face it people she's from a farm, doesn't like pavement. she wants the grass every chance she gets.

on like thursday i had stopped waiting for Ri (my 4 yr old daughter) to catch up to me & Tifa, when the woman's dog started goin nuts (its a yapper dog) she immediately came out & started yelling at me to not let that dog pee on her lawn. i calmly told her that the dog was used to a farm with grass and that i wouldn't allow her to go to the bathroom in anyone's yard, that i was just waiting for my daughter to catch up. she kept her b****ing up so i walked away.

well on saturday, again, Ri and i were walking Tifa. i'd tried to keep her on the sidewalk, but she managed to pull enough to get into the woman's yard again ( i honestly didnt remember this was her yard). well the woman was outside standing with other neighbors across the court talking. she turned in time to see Tifa in the yard and yelled "i guess some people can't take a goddamned hint!"

i said, "excuse me?" she started saying how she'd told me to keep the dog out of her yard, and i said "no ma'am, you asked that she not go to the bathroom in her yard and i told you that i wouldn't allow her to do that to anyone here." well, that did it. she walked over & got in my face yelling about how she doesn't want the dog touching her lawn and how that field up at the end of the court is full of sh!! from my dog and it's not for dogs and how i dont even live around there!!! she also said to keep her in the common grass where i told her that i was trying but the dog wasn't used to a leash either. i told her that up til then i had been polite and she said she was being polite..........WHAT!?!?!?!

at this point i was livid. this "female" was yelling at me in front of my kid. F HER! so i shot back again about how i'd just gotten the dog, hadn't had her a week yet, that the sh!! in the field is NOT from my dog because 1) she hasn't even sh!! outside yet, and 2) i have respect and clean up dog mess (as i whipped out a plastic bag from my pocket). i also asked her where the hell she'd been the last 5 years i'd lived in that court, and told her to dislodge whatever crawled up her ass.

as i'm yelling back at her, i realized that the entire court's children had rallied behind me like a posse. both rianna and kayla were yelling back at the woman, and even her own husband came up and yelled in her face to shut the F up!!!!! LOL as i walked away & she was still going on, i yelled back "oh god are you still talking?"

omg!! so i walked tifa around the back side of the houses, with the girls in tow who were quite upset. i told them that she DOES have the right to ask us to not step in her yard, as it's her property. but she should've asked NICELY and not been so mean about it. now i want Tifa to sh!! in her yard, even tho i never would let her.

when i got to the end of our court, i turned & there were 3 guys there talking in the grass. Tifa tried to get into that area and i tried to pull her to the common grass on the opposite side. the guys saw i was trying, but they liked dogs so they called her over & patted her head. they said i shoulda told the old bat the dog wasn't sh!!in in her yard but i was LOL then they offered to go sh!! in her yard for me LOL

oh yeah....apparently she's yelled at my 7 yr old daughter about her lawn as well. Kayla told me this as we were walking away from the woman. she said she hardly had her toe in the yard

Welcome to the boards. I hope you like it here. Your girl looks so sweet. She will really settle in.

On the potty problem I would suggest that she go out more than twice a day. That's really not enough. I take mine out every few hours when I'm home. When I'm working I take him out to play just before work, then I'm home at noon for another play time, then right back after work for another walk and play time. They need out every three to four hours for the most part. Not that it would hurt her once in a while to go longer. But I wouldn't want to make her hold it. Plus it will cut out house accidents.

Some people don't like other dogs (or other people). I have meet a few people like that on my walks. I just laugh it off because they don't even know me or my dog, yet their saying I do this and I do that. Someone that gets a kick out of yelling at me for walking my dog on a leash and picking up his poop, but then five minutes later I see their dog running around and pooping on everything is funny. At least that's how I look at it.

someone is home with her all the time. today she was out from 730am til 10am when she came back in the house and took a crap in the middle of the floor!

i was told she was housebroken. she's outside with my father in law almost all day in the backyard. she'll pee in the yard, she just wont poo. i dont know what to do :rolleyes: we've only had her a week, and i understand there's an adjustment period....and that she was on the farm. but it's so frustrating being told an animal is housebroken only to find out she's poopin on my floor....

When a dog is rehomed, even if they are housebroken, they have to learn some things about their new home before everything works again. How do I get out? How do I tell them I have to go? How do they learn my signals? Tifa may be telling you she has to go, and you don't know her signals yet. As far as being outside for any length of time and then coming in and going potty inside, this is very common. You have to treat a new dog as if it weren't housebroken, as that is how they learn the abovementioned stuff. You also have to take them out frequently and STAY WITH THEM so that you can praise them to high heaven when they go. When new, you should be going out specifically for doing business and not combine it with play sessions at first. The play sessions can follow as a reward for going potty outside.

When we bring a shelter dog home as a rescue, we always assume first that they aren't housebroken and treat them that way. It always amazes me that we have had so few accidents in the house. None for most of the dogs. Good luck with Tifa, she is a doll.

Kathy Robbins

It took Black Jack a week and a half to poop after I brought him home from the shelter. So give it time.

thanks everyone! i am also surprised there have been few accidents, for the most part she's going outside....and we made more progress last night! my girls said they would help with training Tifa. so when kayla goes to bed, i'm about passed out on the couch...she gets Tifa to go upstairs with them in their room to sleep. at first i was objecting, but i pass out again on the couch & wake up around 1030p. i resign myself that i need to go to bed, but first to take the dog out. so i whistle for her..i can hear her but she's not coming.....turns out kayla had closed the door. interesting....no mess...

i took her out and for the first time, she actually dropped turds! i praised the hell out of her the whole way back to the house & even gave her a biscuit reward! so then i wonder if the room being closed makes it like her own room crate, and decide to do it when i go to bed. i even messaged my husband jimi to do it when he came to bed (he works 2nd shift). and guess what? this morning? no mess on the floor in the house anywhere!

we'll see how things pan out during the day today, it's supposed to rain. so far she hasn't gone, but last night was awesome!

hello again! just a quick update on our girl Tifa.

She's doing beautifully getting on a schedule with us. i have noticed that she's not really a chewer, and as long as she is given a bone or something when she DOES want to chew she's fine; otherwise watch your slippers & flashlights LOL

Welcome! Loved the story about the guys willing to poop in the ladies yard! Cracked me up! LMAO!! It took Misty awhile too to poop outside, have no idea why, but when she did, I praised her just like you did to Tifa, so keep it up. BC's love to be loved, so the praise will definitely help and the poopin' outside will kick in sooner than later. She's beautiful, and it's so sweet to see your girls on the couch with her. All beautiful girls! :rolleyes:

• 3 months later...

i know it's been a while since i was on, but much has happened personally LOL i just wanted to say thanks again for all the advice and put up some new pics. Tifa is now going #2 outside, runs off lead without issue, and seems generally happy :rolleyes:

tifa-tongue.jpgIMG00171.jpg

IMG00181.jpgIMG00186.jpg

tifagarden.jpg

^^^^this is how small she is! today i saw a 6 mo old male and his head was bigger than hers LOL

oh what. a. cutie pie!

I think it would be funny to collect all of the uh, "presents" from the field and then sprinkle them on the witch's lawn at night :rolleyes: Of course...i'm a bit vindictive like that and very protective of my family...who yells at kids??

Welcome and I hope things go better for you !

V

Hi! Sweet pics and stories, it reminds me a lot on the time I got my Francisca... She also came from a farm, and somehow it took us a while to teach her to do her stuff outside. (She would only do it on the balcony over a newspaper!).. so after trying everything we decided to take with us a piece of newspaper, and voilá! it worked. We only needed it a couple of times, then she was fine without it. That's how she learned doing her stuff outside and never ever again at home!

Francisca is also very quiet and "calm"...of course she was even more when we got her. So we used that situation to teach her that home means relaxing, taking naps and pampering.. but outside she just goes crazy with her frisbee, her ball, agility routines (home-made, we dont have such things here in my city... :D ) and she loves playing with children at the park!

I wish you the best with her, you just can't help falling in love with them and talking about them all the time, to the point that your co-workers would think you are kind of crazy for having pics of your dog as desktop image... :rolleyes:

you just can't help falling in love with them and talking about them all the time, to the point that your co-workers would think you are kind of crazy for having pics of your dog as desktop image... :rolleyes:

Guilty!!! :D