BC Boards

Elevated white blood cell count

I was talking with a friend tonight who's got a 9 month old mixbreed that's got something going on that so far the vet hasn't been able to diagnose. She's been very "low" as my friend put it, lethargic, just not herself at all and the blood test showed an elevated white blood cell count. They figure she's got some kind of infection but haven't been able to pinpoint it yet. She's going to be going for further testing but just wondering if anyone else has encountered anything like this? She's normally a bouncy happy dog and when I saw her a couple of weeks ago she had lots of get up and go. Now she apparently doesn't even want to leave her crate. Poor pup, I hope the figure it out soon.

Always check for TBDs,

A

Okay, this is just a shot in the dark but I just read an article in Dogs in Canada May edition about blastomycosis. Apparently, it's hard to diagnose but there are increasing cases in the Georgian Bay/Parry sound area. It is a spore (mould) that thrives in warm, acid sandy soils, and rotted wood near water. The most frequent cases have been in Kenora and along the shores of Georgian Bay, particularly Pointe au Baril and Sans Souci.

There is a website blastomycosis.ca

typical symptoms include - coughing, shortness of breath, poor appetite, weight loss, skin lesions, listlessness, depression, lameness, fever - 103 or higher that won't respond to antibotics, blood in the urine, anorexia, enlarged lymph nodes, eye problems, testicular inflammation.

It's not likely to be this, but since I know a lot of people use Georgian Bay for summer holidays and live in the area....forewarned is forearmed.

Always check for TBDs,

A

TBDs? As in tick-borne diseases, or? I'll be sure to mention all suggestions to her to go over with her vet.