BC Boards

Winston Update

Here's are some pictures John took of Winston two weeks ago.

The first is just the handsome boy. In the second, we are planting a tree with Winston pasted to my knee, Pip Squeak helping dig the hole and Nellie and Little Ben supervising.

I am not doing a very good job of finding Winston a home. I haven't managed to send the pics to get him courtesy listed anywhere. I took him to meet a woman I know and I got real worried when she liked him (of course!) and said that she wanted to talk to her husband about him.

Lisa

post-3819-1209666488_thumb.jpg

post-3819-1209666519_thumb.jpg

From the way you talk about him, methinks Winston has found his home... :D

I agree - that's a "MY mommy" look on Winston's face if I ever saw one. :rolleyes:

Who is the adorable one with the tail that curls over his back like a chow chow?:D

Winston's collar isn't monogrammed but it IS in pack color - purple. I was thinking about microchipping him the other day and realized that's not really reasonable since he isn't my dog, right? He does color coordinate though...

The dog with the curly tail is Ben. Nellie has a curl too but it's not as dramatic. Ben's tail and long ear feathers make him very popular with the lady dogs but one of my acquaintances refers to him as "Le Papillion" which is not very, um, manly.

Lisa

Counterclockwise from the top, the headless babe is my daughter, Lisa; the ACD-looking glossy alpha female dog in the household is Nellie (Lisa's avatar and described by Don McCaig in her finest moment, or maybe his finest moment, as one good-looking dog - I think he was referring in particular to the tail held proudly over her back); the ACD/BC cross digging the hole is Pip Squeak (she's got the body of her ACD dad and a teeny-tiny head/muzzle from her BC mom); Little Ben is the hairy and handsome possessor of the magnificent tail (and ear feathers and other feathers that are rather unbelievable); and the man on the right is John, a person of rare generosity and hospitality (and patience with animals, and owner of Big Ben, who isn't in the picture but is the biggest Aussie I have ever laid eyes on).

Nellie was adopted from a pound in TN (I think) as a "Border Collie cross" - they got that wrong. Ben was adopted through a Border Collie rescue in TN, from a pound, as a "Border Collie" - they got that wrong; Pip is one of three dogs Lisa sprang from a pound in NC (I think), a Border Collie, her half-Sheltie yearling, and her half-ACD pup and, as Lisa failed fostering 101 with Pip (got good homes for her mother and half-sister), Lisa did get a little closer to getting a Border Collie; and now, Winston, who could be all Border Collie, but who has some years and a great deal of mileage on him.

No wonder he looks at her with adoration - she is probably the first person in his life who has given him real love and care. She'll either find him the right home and family, or I will have another grand-doggie (to go along with the other three and the three grand-kitties, all alumni of some form of rescue/shelter/foundling situation).

She drives a Subaru Outback - she's gonna need a bigger car.

Bless your generous heart for giving those dogs such a good home, Lisa. And Sue, you are rightfully proud! I hope Winston stays right where he is; he could be the short-coated brother to the dog in my avatar!

Take care,

Amy

Yeah, I need a bigger car. I've always wanted a truck... Here's another pic of Winston (the car isn't too small when its just him but when you add another three?). And a couple of gratuitous pictures of the rest of the pack on Roan Mountain along with John and "Big Ben".

Mom did a good job summarizing the sources of the dogs. Nellie came from the same shelter in eastern TN that Winston came from (Johnson City) but Nellie came out 6 1/2 years ago. I hadn't been there since until I went to pull Winston and Bo. The funny thing is that I was living in WV when I got Nellie. Ben came from the shelter in Memphis, TN by way of the people at WTBCR. Pip Squeak came out of the shelter here in Spruce Pine, NC. Her mother went to what is now ARCBCR in Richmond, VA and her sister went to a college friend, also in Richmond. Pip Squeak wanted nothing to do with either one of them and opted to come back to SP with me. And then there's Winston... :rolleyes:

Lisa

post-3819-1209764326_thumb.jpg

post-3819-1209764344_thumb.jpg

post-3819-1209764819_thumb.jpg