BC Boards

Masi...the bunny killer

and right in the middle of his tongue, still alive and squirming, were three tiny pink baby mice. AAAHHHH!!!!! I don't know why he didn't just chomp them up... maybe he was saving them for a snack later?

My foster Shane used to do with that little voles. I'd ask him what he had and he would shake his head and admit nothing, but eventually would drop either a half dead or dead vole on the ground. I have never had a dog before or since who can catch them - including Woo!

RDM

Maggie is an expert at vole hunting as well as her bunny exploits - she pounces and flips them like a coyote and inevitably by the time I get to her they are long dead due to broken necks. I think that may be what she did with the rabbit she caught since there was not a single puncture on it when inspected later.

As to waist leashes, I do the simple carabiner/regular belt trick as well - no way I'm paying $30 for virtually the same thing! :rolleyes: A leash with a bungee section is also a good idea - RuffWear makes one with a clip in the handle that I use. It is about 5ft long at rest and 10 feet long when extended so you do have to be aware of that, but it certainly does reduces jolts and tugs while running.

I do bemoan having a high prey drive dog; at least rabbits run in a circle so she'll eventually come back my way, but since other critters lurk in the woods that don't run in circles, she's leashed at all times unless behind a very secure fence.

I would be reluctant to connect a dog to my regular belt, because most belts just aren't that sturdy. That said, a carabiner and the sort of strap you use for chalk bags while climbing would probably do the trick. They sell webbing and buckles at REI for practically nothing.

I would be reluctant to connect a dog to my regular belt, because most belts just aren't that sturdy. That said, a carabiner and the sort of strap you use for chalk bags while climbing would probably do the trick. They sell webbing and buckles at REI for practically nothing.

Allie snapped my braided leather belt that way. Granted, it was an old and tattered belt. Better than the alternative, though - our obedience instructor said she saw a student lose her pants that way.

gosh you have some really stoopid bunnies over there dont you? lol!

over here bunnies have their babies underground and only leave the nest when they can run at near light speed!

unfortunatley for said warp factor 9 bunnies, molly could also run at near light speed and she caught and brought back to me a 10 weekish old baby bunny on easter morning! poor lil thing died in my hands.

brighid caught a partridge alive and well once, and me being the crap veggie that i am couldnt help but be proud of her! had it been a bit plumper i would have kept it for my blokes tea, but being skinny earnt it a reprieve :rolleyes:

Our REI is called MEC and I guess if I must peruse the climbing section, then peruse it I must.

Heeheeehee! I know how much you love the climbing section.

I use one of those euro style leashes (like someone else suggested) around my chest.

I let the dogs out for a pee one night and a few minutes later everyone came in

but my Cap. So I called and he didn't come. Cap ALWAYS came when called.

I called a few more times and then got a flashlight. Then the flashlight beam found

him lying down and his chest and front legs were saturated with blood. I almost

had a heart attack. It flashed through my thoughts that he had run and impaled

himself and was bleeding to death. Then I saw the rabbit between his paws, half

eaten. Whew....but poor bunny. Sometime later he came up with tapeworms.

The vet said rabbit fleas carry tapeworm larve.

"I don't use retractable leashes, but I bet one of those Euro ones with the double clips would work for strapping it across my chest or similar. Good idea!"

I don't think I've ever seen those Euro ones, or didn't notice if I did. I like the retractables myself, though I wish they were designed with some shock absorber at the end of their travel. If you don't like carrying a pack, you might think about a skijor-type belt. Mine's fairly unobtrusive, even worn with the pack.

"Tweed is awesome and runs on my left with his nose touching my thigh."

My old girl was that way - not quite nose touching, but always following (barring interesting squirrels or such, of course) Niki's just the opposite: she always has to be out in front.

Sasha's taken out several squirrels and at least one adult rabbit that I remember. It made a fatal midcalculation, and she nailed it. I just heard this horrible scream before she broke it's neck. And in the ensuing chase, she inadvertantly dismembered it. Husband loved cleaning that one up.

She managed to get a squirrel once while we were out of town... the petsitter called me saying that she was running around with a disembodied squirrel head and did I have any ideas on how to get her back in the house without it? Great timing that one.

Nikolai got a chipmunk once - was very proud of himself, and brought me out to see it. Sassy wants nothing to do with anything icky, and she's not bright enough to catch on to the Nik/Sasha teamwork. Zoe hasn't gotten anything to my knowedge, although she did rip a nice big hole in my new (1 week old) couch.

I run with mine, and tried using a big dog collar around my waist with them clipped to it. Didn't work so well, and was tough balance-wise.

I'd rather be able to control them with my arms, and I'm usually very good about seeing things as they see them and getting commands out in time. Occasionally that doesn't work - I've been drug through the grass twice. I guess that's not too bad considering how many miles we have run. Sasha, Sassy, and Nik all run very nice heels. Zoe just wants to dance! And tug! And play! And grab the leash! And jump in the Lake!

Now that we've moved, I have to find new running routes. Since we're in the middle of nowhere, it isn't going to be as easy. The cycling is awesome, but the smallest street loop I've mapped is 5 miles. Oh well... I'm really loving it out there - 5 whole acres! And dog loving neighbors! Methinks I'm going to try to raise some ducks next. But that's another thread.

Danielle,

Nik Grumpy-Butt, Sasha Wiggle-Butt, Sassy-frassy, Zoe-Couch-Killer, and Oreo the clingy Aussie Foster who trotted behind husband while he mowed 3 acres today.

WARNING: Following not for the squeamish

The dog I had when I was a teenager was a half St Bernard, half Husky. She managed to find a rabbit and left the front half of it (cut off neat as you please, leading me to believe it was probably out of a trap) on the front step. The back half was strewn all over the front yard. It had been a pregnant rabbit, due to deliver any day (I could tell because all of the innards were there for everyone to see--there was no mistaking what things were or had been). My mother made me clean it up.

Was out enjoying my coffee one morning letting Hank out for his morning ritual, when we both saw the cat pounce on something in the yard. Well Hank runs over to check things out and the next thing I see is him tossing something brown and fuzzy into the air. Well as soon as it thumped back to earth the cat, who was watching this, jumped on it again and pinned it down. Before I could get over to where the fun (for them) was, they had done this about 4 times. Found that it was a mole, and not doing well by this time...so a garden shovel, a plastic bag, and the normal squeamishness the poor thing was dispatched and put out in the field for other critters.

Over the course of the spring this occurred about 3 more times, no moles (at least in our yard) this year.

" I like the retractables myself, though I wish they were designed with some shock absorber at the end of their travel.

Look here: Visit My Website

They also sell a "lunge absorber" for that Buddy System. :rolleyes:

Hope I did that right (the link).

Andrea