BC Boards

Masi...the bunny killer

Masi killed a baby bunny! The poor little thing was so cute. She caught it and brought it over to play with it when I noticed it was a baby bunny. I picked it up to get it away from her, hoping it would still live. Nope...poor little girl died in my hands. :rolleyes: Part of me wants to be proud of her for achieving such a feat but the other part of me, the part of me that held the poor little thing as it died thinks it's so sad. I buried it behind our house. Poor little girl...she was so cute.

Any similar stories out there to maybe make me feel better....appreciate it.

Maggie caught a young bunny in a field a few years back - it was still alive when I got her off of it, but it was dead by the time we looped back to where I left it. So as to prevent the death from being in vain, we used the rabbit as a "leave it/drop it" exercise for a bit and then left it by a tree for the other critters to benefit from.

Of course a rabbit is also responsible for Maggie getting hit by a car (ran *under* a fence with her on its tail) shortly after that, so they get little sympathy from me. :rolleyes:

Mr. Woo ate this on Sunday:

2446529161_bec545a244.jpg

I took it away from him, but it croaked in my hands after I took the photo.

*note to self* get Woo dewormed soon.

These things happen. Apparently, baby bunnies are very tasty. Also, mama bunnies are dumb and build nests in off leash dog parks!

RDM

Nellie killed and ate a baby rabbit...

then proceded to throw it up...

in the back of then-boyfriend's truck...

while we were eating a picnic dinner...

on the tailgate...

then-boyfriend was a vegetarian...

Does that count?

:rolleyes:

Lisa

So as to prevent the death from being in vain, we used the rabbit as a "leave it/drop it" exercise for a bit...

Wow, excellent idea! I never would have thought of doing that.

Shadow (the cat) once brought a dead baby rabbit up on the deck. My Mom was sooo mad at him for killing the bunny.

Look at the bright side; rabbits are prolific breeders. There will soon be another to replace the one Masi got.

Mr. Woo ate this on Sunday:

2446529161_bec545a244.jpg

I took it away from him, but it croaked in my hands after I took the photo.

*note to self* get Woo dewormed soon.

These things happen. Apparently, baby bunnies are very tasty. Also, mama bunnies are dumb and build nests in off leash dog parks!

RDM

Looked just like that. I have a picture of it at home...didn't get it off the camera yet. Yeah the nest was RIGHT infront of our house...and it's not like the dogs just happened to be there once in a blue moon so yeah...dumb bunnies.

The other day in the dog park, we came across a suicidal chipmunk that leaped out of a tree, missed its foothold on the next one, and landed right in Gypsy's gaping mouth. Gypsy was amazed and soooo proud of herself that she *finally* caught one. It's hard pretending you're not angry for something that's just natural to them. :rolleyes:

This what I saw just before Black Jack got one for himself

IMG_0167.jpg

Then after I thought it was safe he tried to get one. Luckly he didn't eat it before I caught him. The little bugger lived. And probably made 200 more of himself just to get back at us :rolleyes: Not that they aren't cute, but come one. Why does there have to be so many? Anyway....we don't have to many around our new house. So there hasn't been any deaths so far. I hate getting puppy kisses after you see him bring back a rabbits leg ten minutes before.

The other day in the dog park, we came across a suicidal chipmunk that leaped out of a tree, missed its foothold on the next one, and landed right in Gypsy's gaping mouth.

Oh my god ... Woo just turned green with envy, keeled over and died. He can't believe Gypsy's luck, and is beyond jealous.

But on more than one occasion I have covered up a squirrel corpse with some old leaves and prayed Really Hard that no one saw the murder.

RDM

I raise rabbits for 4-H, and once I had a two week old somehow escape from the cage, and he ended up outside on the cold floor, it was like 20 degrees outside. Bear had picked it up and proceeded to play with it o.o.

I had gone back out to feed them and then tie down the tarp for the night, and BAM baby bunny at my feet, it was very cold, and it almost died. Barely moving. I was upset, Bear has been around rabbits since we got her, so I expected better of her. She nearly killed it.

I was very ashamed of her.

She has also killed many flies, does that count? :rolleyes:

Well, there was definitely more than just that one there today. This afternoon, with the dogs out again, Masi would not leave that area alone so me and my neighbors rounded up the rest of the bunnies to try and relocate them. Unfortunately, without being able to capture mom, we had to let them go again...without relocating them....man they were cute (I'll post pictures tomorrow). Guess I'm gonna have to keep Masi the bunny killer away from that area for a few weeks.

Haha, Gunnar is very jealous of Gypsy too. He can never have any luck with the chipmunks or squirrels.

"Mr. Woo ate this on Sunday..."

Looks like a ground squirrel? If it is, Mr. Woo can come visit any time he likes, and eat as many as he can hold! I'm pretty fond of critters in general - even the occasional bear in the back yard doesn't bother me - but ground squirrels are just plain evil. They dig up bulbs for the fun of it, take one bite -just enough to kill the poor thing - then leave the rest.

The dogs got a baby gopher a few weeks ago. Solo grabbed it up and mashed it a bit, and then got totally weirded out when it stopped moving and did that sideways backing up and dubious expression thing that dogs do when they're trying to figure something out. Jett took over from there and I was hoping she'd put the little guy out of his misery, but instead she played with the thing like an orca with a baby sea lion. By the time I got her away from it, it was spinning around on its side (kicking one hind leg over and over) and I tried to muster up the gumption to finish it off myself but I just couldn't do it. It was gone when we looped back around, so either it limped off or something else (probably a stray cat) ate it.

My dogs don't seem to understand the "shake to kill" part of the equation. And then there's Fly, who has zero interest in small prey. She has flushed rabbits and tripped over them while running and paid no attention to them whatsoever.

Jackson nabbed a baby bunny the first spring we had him. He pounced in the tall grass and kept walking like normal. I called his name and he looked up at me with these huge chipmunk cheek. I freak and tell him to drop it which amazingly he did. It was really roughed up, but not dead. I felt so bad about him hurting this little bunny and with my neighbor's young daughters coming out the door for school I didn't want them to see it hurt. I came home, walked up to my husband and started bawling.

Jackson is also an expert mole hunter. He sits right at the edge of the hole, sniffs, and then drives his long anteater snout into the hole. He will do this for a long time in the spring. He nabs one, shakes it, and throws it to the side. I'm thinking various ground rodents made up a bulk of his wild diet. And his long collie nose makes him the perfect mole nabbing machine.

Jackson is also an expert mole hunter. He sits right at the edge of the hole, sniffs, and then drives his long anteater snout into the hole. He will do this for a long time in the spring. He nabs one, shakes it, and throws it to the side.... And his long collie nose makes him the perfect mole nabbing machine.

You might be able to hire him out as an all-natural mole-ridder. When I was a kid my grandmother was always waging war on ground moles. They made a mess of her yard. I think she tried everything to get rid of them but they always came back.

I don’t have that problem. I have such carppy soil nothing good enough to eat lives here. :rolleyes:

Looks like a ground squirrel? If it is, Mr. Woo can come visit any time he likes, and eat as many as he can hold!

I think it was a baby bunny, as it looked an awful lot like the ones in WyoBC's nest photo, and I'm not too sure what a ground squirrel is (we have grey squirrels and black squirrels) but Woo says he would LOVE to eat them. ALL of them.

This morning while we were running, he launched himself off a 15 foot seawall into the ocean below in pursuit of a raccoon that was trying to hide amongst some rocks. My first thought was "Holy shit, he's going to break all his legs" as the tide was mostly out and he landed in about a foot of water only. My second thought was "Damnit, why don't I have my camera???" as him launching off the wall would have been a killer photo. The third thought was "Oh crap, that raccoon is going to kill him" as the raccoon was *pissed*.

His prey drive is so strong, and since the killing-and-eating of the baby bunny, it's only gotten worse/more pronounced. The only thing that saved this morning's raccoon was that they are much larger close up than Woo thought they were.

Any tips for a good leash for running with your dog that keeps your hands mostly free? I hate getting yanked around when I am running.

RDM

Cap thinks rabbits are his OTHER work. I can't even say the R word around him.

It does help me tho when rehabing the hawks.

Whisper's mission in life it to rid the world of pesky varmits. On her list of victims:

1 Chipmunk

2 raccoons

2 muskrats

1 squirrel

on her wish list:

deer

birds

rabbits

anything else that moves

She also scared a possum, which she did drop when I told her to, and when I went back to bury what I thought would be a corpse, it wandered off. Those possums really do play a convincing game of dead! I'm hoping she's learned her lesson with porcupines--she met on once and got a face and paw full of quills. That's not something I want to re-visit.

"Any tips for a good leash for running with your dog that keeps your hands mostly free? I hate getting yanked around when I am running."

I don't know how well it would work for real running - we mostly hike fast with occasional jogs - but I carry a pack with waist belt & chest strap. Then I clip the chest strap through the handle of Niki's retractable leash. Gives me my hands free, while she has enough slack to stop for sniffing without tripping me (usually!). If she starts charging after a chipmunk or something, I have a little time to prepare, and the pull's near my center of mass, rather than yanking an arm off.

I don't use retractable leashes, but I bet one of those Euro ones with the double clips would work for strapping it across my chest or similar. Good idea!

Tweed is awesome and runs on my left with his nose touching my thigh. There's always a wet spot on my pants when I get home. I am convinced he spends the whole run thinking "Anytime I wanted to, I could just bite her in the leg. Anytime. Awesome." Piper runs ahead because she is eternally hopeful that one day, we are going to actually run to the beach and play fetch instead of running beside it on the seawall.

Mr. Woo just scans for things he can chase-kill-eat. He has chased otters, raccoons, Canada Geese, ducks, a seal and some fish. The squirrels don't seem to get up as early as we do. But he doesn't listen when he running off leash and chasing something, and I don't want to run with his ecollar on.

Thanks for the good idea!

RDM

Jasmine is a top notch rabbit nest hunter,she is really rather entertaining to watch as she creeps across the pastures crisscrossing and listening for the telltale squeals of baby bunnies.

She isn't exactly humane about dispatching them when she locates a nest though.

Her idea of a fun time with the bunnies is to chew off their feet and then proceed to toss and catch as long as they still draw breath,as soon as one expires she moves her attention to the next one.

Its a tough life being low on the food chain at least on my place.

I have a euro-style leash but it's too short to use when running. They must have longer ones out there. Mine was from the now-defunct Pets.com (RIP, Pets.com and boy do I miss your $15 off of $15 coupons...)

I think I'd rather have a waist belt leash than one that goes around my upper body. The euro leashes don't seem to have an option that is really waist-size -- it is either a big loop, that'll go across your body, or a small loop that is more like a leash handle. This waist belt system seems to be popular:

http://buddysys.com/

I've only ever gone running with the dogs on their regular four-foot leashes so I have no firsthand experience.

Any tips for a good leash for running with your dog that keeps your hands mostly free? I hate getting yanked around when I am running.

I bought a carabiner clip for a couple of bucks from the hardware store and use it to clip my regular leash to my belt. I find it works best to attach the clip to the hand loop on the leash, then pass the hand loop and clip around my belt before fastening it again to the flat part of the leash.

If you're tethered to him, Mr. Woo won't take you cliff-diving in pursuit of raccoons, will he? :rolleyes:

Bingo is my hunter, and he's had the good fortune of clumsy squirrels falling out of trees and thumping down on the lawn right in front of him.

The best incident with him by far though was when we lived on a few acres out by the coast. He came back to Trevor with that funny look on his face, like he had something hidden in his mouth, and kept avoiding letting Trevor look. Finally, he managed to pry open Bingo's mouth, and right in the middle of his tongue, still alive and squirming, were three tiny pink baby mice. AAAHHHH!!!!! I don't know why he didn't just chomp them up... maybe he was saving them for a snack later?

My friend's hound mix ran forward one day, caught a mourning dove, and swallowed it whole... beak, feet, and all. My friend was HORRIFIED. I couldn't imagine what the beak and feet would do to her digestive system, but apparently nothing.

Mary