BC Boards

Do your dogs play?

My four dogs will play with each other depending on the circumstances. More outside than inside although that may also be a space thing with over 300 pounds of dog in my home. All four have attended daycare, go to the dog park regularly and other than Zephyr, were used to a steady stream of foster dogs. Except for Belle, I think my other three enjoy having canine family and would be lonely as only dogs.

Belle (oldest and female) will initiate play with either of the boys. Her rules only. She never plays with Sophie.

Sophie will initiate play with Zephyr (youngest male), also her rules and she *always* wins. She will play with Chester outside but never inside, unless you count humping.

Chester will carefully invite Belle and Sophie to play, and loves bitey-face with Zephyr. He respects the girls' rules and the girls always end the game.

Zephyr is immensely grateful to anybody who will play with him :rolleyes:

Thank you everyone for sharing you puppy playing experiences. Yesterday Tiga and Princess has a little bit of play interaction outside. We had them both out for a potty break at the same time and they seemed like they wanted to interact so we let them both off leash and they ran and chased each other for a little while. They were back to the co-existing when we got back inside. It's now been 2 weeks since she's been here and things are working out well so far.

Abby and Ryan play all the time. Seriously - all the time. They play more inside or in the yard than away from the house since when we're out it's time for more serious matters, according to Abby. If they haven't had a good run, though, or if they're excited, or hungry, or bored - it's time for wrestle mania. They get told "enough" a lot. Their play is kinda loud.

My favourite of their play is when they're in different rooms and they are both frozen staring at each other for minutes at a time. Then suddenly they race full speed at each other to wrestle. It's all so coordinated!

Mine are freaks... they act like they don't play with each other, but sometimes when they are out in the back yard alone together, I can watch through the window and catch them full on playing, wrestling, chasing, bowing, the whole thing. But they NEVER do that if people are around. They've never been chastised for playing so I don't know what the reason is. When we're around Bingo sometimes tries to hump or chase Ling and she snarks at him, but I wouldn't qualify that as playing.

I remembered I had this photo - it was taken in 2002 before they were 1 - but it could have been taken just the other evening, when they were doing the same thing. It goes with that staring, stalking, chasing game that notailabigail was describing.

513cf3bdb0783fa9f091e91e18b48587.JPG

tikki and solly (a hamiltonstovaire bitch we used to live with) used to play ALL the time. then i left so that stopped. when i got molly they were wary of each other, then had a fight which as no blood was being shed i let run its course for a few moments so i could see who was going to win. turned out molly was top dog and as soon as i reinforced that, her and tikki became inseperable, playing all the time and generally being devoted to each other!

then we lost molly and several month later i got brighid, to my knowledge tikki never attempted play with brighid nor her with him. it shocked me how much she misses him though, since we lost him. she has become quite insecure about things and will sleep in his bed rather than her own chair, i had no idea how much she relied on him when it looked like they barely noticed each other.

her and squirrel on the other hand have played since the moment squirrel was allowed off lead in my house when she arrived!